* RE: [ECOS] PC target
@ 2001-01-24  9:20 Natarajan, Mekala (CTS)
From: Natarajan, Mekala (CTS) @ 2001-01-24  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Koeller, T.'; +Cc: 'ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Hi Koeller,
	To download u'r application program first u need to build ecos gdb
stub. This is something similar to that a monitor program. U need to load
this stub into the bootsector of the floppy.

mount the floppy drive in binmode and then use this command

dd conv=sync if=/d/ecos_stub/ecos_install/bin/gdb_module.bin of=/dev/fd0

once this is done boot the floppy.

mekala

Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful.

		Visit us at http://www.cognizant.com

* Re: [ECOS] PC target
@ 2001-01-24  2:02 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2001-01-24  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koeller, T.; +Cc: 'ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Koeller,> I am currently evaluating eCos to see if it's suitable for
Koeller,> an upcoming embedded project. My host environment is Windows
Koeller,> NT / Cygwin. For evaluation purposes only, I am using the PC
Koeller,> target with CYG_HAL_STARTUP set to FLOPPY.  I found that the
Koeller,> cross-development tools I installed (i386-elf) always
Koeller,> generate elf executables (xxx.exe), which is not really
Koeller,> surprising, given the names of those tools. However, the
Koeller,> executables generated cannot be loaded directly on the
Koeller,> target, so I used objcopy to convert them to raw binary
Koeller,> format. This step is not described anywhere in the docs, and
Koeller,> I therefore wonder if I am doing it the way it's supposed to
Koeller,> be done. Any comments?

If you follow the instructions here:

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/tutorials/i386pc/ecos-tutorial.d.html#pgfId=2565417

You will be able to boot a GDB stub on the target. From then on, you
use GDB to download the files over serial.

Jesper

* Re: [ECOS] PC target
@ 2001-01-24  1:59 ` Christian Plessl
From: Christian Plessl @ 2001-01-24  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koeller, T., 'ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Hi Thomas

>This step is not described anywhere in the docs, and I
>therefore wonder if I am doing it the way it's supposed to be done. Any
>comments?

Did you have a look at the ecos tutorial for the i386 target?

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/pdf/ecos-tutorial-i386PC.pdf

The proposed way to go with the ecos excecutables, is to build a loader
application with gdb stubs, which is startet via a boot floppy. This gives
you the possibility to upload and debug applications via gdb, which is
connected via serial null-modem. Using this gdb connection, you can upload
elf binaries directly.

/Chris

--
Christian Plessl <cplessl@ee.ethz.ch>

* [ECOS] PC target
@ 2001-01-24  1:43 Koeller, T.
From: Koeller, T. @ 2001-01-24  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com'

I am currently evaluating eCos to see if it's suitable for an upcoming
embedded project. My host environment is Windows NT / Cygwin. For evaluation
purposes only, I am using the PC target with CYG_HAL_STARTUP set to FLOPPY.
I found that the cross-development tools I installed (i386-elf) always
generate elf executables (xxx.exe), which is not really surprising, given
the names of those tools. However, the executables generated cannot be
loaded directly on the target, so I used objcopy to convert them to raw
binary format. This step is not described anywhere in the docs, and I
therefore wonder if I am doing it the way it's supposed to be done. Any
comments?

Thomas Koeller, Software Development

Basler Vision Technologies
An der Strusbek 60-62