* [ECOS] arm gdb stub: user / supervisor mode
@ 2002-04-10 18:00 Fabrice Gautier
From: Fabrice Gautier @ 2002-04-10 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ecos-List (E-mail)

Hi,

Can I use the redboot gdb stub safely with program that go back and forth
between user and supervisor mode?
The first thing is that I'm think i always get the supervisor mode registers
in gdb. Is there any support for accessing the banked registers in gdb and
stubs?

What iam actually doing is debugging uClinux kernel on top of redboot. I has
to modify the uClinux kernel so that it doesnt install all the hardware
exception vectors (only irq and swi) and so far that worked pretty well but
now i'm wondering if the problem im seeing is in relation with the fact that
linux switch from svc to user mode

Thanks

--
Fabrice Gautier,
Fabrice_Gautier@sdesigns.com

* Re: [ECOS] arm gdb stub: user / supervisor mode
@ 2002-04-12 11:25 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-04-12 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Gautier; +Cc: Ecos-List (E-mail)

Fabrice Gautier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can I use the redboot gdb stub safely with program that go back and forth
> between user and supervisor mode?
> The first thing is that I'm think i always get the supervisor mode registers
> in gdb. Is there any support for accessing the banked registers in gdb and
> stubs?
>
> What iam actually doing is debugging uClinux kernel on top of redboot. I has
> to modify the uClinux kernel so that it doesnt install all the hardware
> exception vectors (only irq and swi) and so far that worked pretty well but
> now i'm wondering if the problem im seeing is in relation with the fact that
> linux switch from svc to user mode

The eCos ARM GDB support hasn't been designed to debug user mode, only svc
mode so you're breaking new ground here!

Sounds interesting. If you get it to work fully, let us know!

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] arm gdb stub: user / supervisor mode
@ 2002-04-12 15:48   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-04-12 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Gautier, Ecos-List (E-mail)

Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> The eCos ARM GDB support hasn't been designed to debug user mode, only svc
> mode so you're breaking new ground here!

Actually it's been pointed out (by Mark S) that the current version of
vectors.S in our internal repository may handle this better. It doesn't
support user mode debugging, but it does support debugging of the other
privileged modes better than the current anoncvs version anyway, thanks to
a recent overhaul. To support user mode debugging probably involves forking
the exception handling into two paths early in the exception process. One
way for user mode being interrupted and the other is the current handling.

I've attached it anyway.

Jifl

[-- Attachment #2: vectors.S.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 8199 bytes --]

* Re: [ECOS] arm gdb stub: user / supervisor mode
@ 2002-04-23 10:45     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-04-23 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Gautier, Ecos-List (E-mail)