* [ECOS] networking support for my eCos application
@ 2007-11-02 18:31 C B
From: C B @ 2007-11-02 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I'm new to eCos and am trying to get some simple networking capabilities into an application that I've inherited.  The eCos configuration I have appears to have the networking package included and yet when I attempt to link my application against the eCos libs I get several 'undefined reference' type errors.  In particular:

   undefined reference to 'init_all_network_interfaces'
   undefined reference to 'eth0_up'
   undefined reference to 'eth0_bootp_data'
   undefined reference to 'inet_ntoa'

It's some simple ftp client side stuff that is generating these errors but all I'd really like to be able to do is create and read data from a socket.

I'm using the eCos Configuration Tool Version 2.11 in Windows XP and everything in the configuration builds fine.  In the configuration view I have 'Basic networking framework' with 'INET support' checked under it, and 'OpenBSD TCP/IP Stack' and 'FTP client' also there.

I've tried to provide the summary of what I'm doing but please ask if there is something I've left out that would be valuable.  I've searched the archives and google'd a bunch but I'm unable to figure out a simple explanation for why the networking stuff doesn't seem to make it into my config.

Thank you,
Chris

* Re: [ECOS] networking support for my eCos application
@ 2007-11-02 18:41 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2007-11-02 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C B; +Cc: ecos-discuss

C B wrote:
> I'm new to eCos and am trying to get some simple networking capabilities into an application that I've inherited.  The eCos configuration I have appears to have the networking package included and yet when I attempt to link my application against the eCos libs I get several 'undefined reference' type errors.  In particular:
>
>    undefined reference to 'init_all_network_interfaces'
>    undefined reference to 'eth0_up'
>    undefined reference to 'eth0_bootp_data'
>    undefined reference to 'inet_ntoa'
>
> It's some simple ftp client side stuff that is generating these errors but all I'd really like to be able to do is create and read data from a socket.
>
> I'm using the eCos Configuration Tool Version 2.11 in Windows XP and everything in the configuration builds fine.  In the configuration view I have 'Basic networking framework' with 'INET support' checked under it, and 'OpenBSD TCP/IP Stack' and 'FTP client' also there.
>
> I've tried to provide the summary of what I'm doing but please ask if there is something I've left out that would be valuable.  I've searched the archives and google'd a bunch but I'm unable to figure out a simple explanation for why the networking stuff doesn't seem to make it into my config.

It doesn't look like the network has been configured.

What eCos sources are you using (latest from anon CVS is recommended)
Can you send your actual configuration? (use File->Export)

Also, you probably should be using the FreeBSD network stack
as the OpenBSD stack is very old and no longer maintained.

* RE: [ECOS] networking support for my eCos application
@ 2007-11-08 23:33 C B
From: C B @ 2007-11-08 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> Do an
>
> ecosconfig export foo.ecm
>
> and post foo.ecm.
>
> Also check that net/common/current/src/inet_ntoa.c is getting
> compiled and it is in the library install/lib/libtarget.a

I'll check the libtarget.a.  Here are the contents of foo.ecm:

------------------------------- begin foo.ecm -----------------------------------------
cdl_savefile_version 1;
cdl_savefile_command cdl_savefile_version {};
cdl_savefile_command cdl_savefile_command {};
cdl_savefile_command cdl_configuration { description hardware template package };
cdl_savefile_command cdl_package { value_source user_value wizard_value inferred_value };
cdl_savefile_command cdl_component { value_source user_value wizard_value inferred_value };
cdl_savefile_command cdl_option { value_source user_value wizard_value inferred_value };
cdl_savefile_command cdl_interface { value_source user_value wizard_value inferred_value };

cdl_configuration eCos {
    description "" ;
    hardware    eb9261 ;
    template    net ;
    package -hardware CYGPKG_HAL_ARM current ;
    package -hardware CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_AT91 current ;
    package -hardware CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_AT91SAM9261 current ;
    package -hardware CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_AT91 current ;
    package -hardware CYGPKG_IO_SPI current ;
    package -hardware CYGPKG_DEVS_SPI_ARM_AT91 current ;
    package -hardware CYGPKG_DEVS_SPI_ARM_EB9261 current ;
    package -hardware CYGPKG_DEVS_AT45_DATAFLASH_SPI current ;
    package -hardware CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_EB9261 current ;
    package -hardware CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_DAVICOM_DM9000A current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_HAL current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_IO current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_INFRA current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_ISOINFRA current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_KERNEL current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_MEMALLOC current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_LIBC current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_LIBC_TIME current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_LIBC_STDLIB current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_LIBC_STRING current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_LIBC_I18N current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_LIBC_SETJMP current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_LIBC_STARTUP current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_LIBC_STDIO current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_LIBM current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_POSIX current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_IO_WATCHDOG current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_IO_WALLCLOCK current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_ERROR current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_IO_FILEIO current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_NET current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_NET_FREEBSD_STACK current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_NS_DNS current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_IO_ETH_DRIVERS current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_NET_SNTP current ;
};

cdl_option CYGHWR_HAL_ARM_AT91_FIQ {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_CTYPE_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_ERRNO_CODES_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_ERRNO_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_STDIO_FILETYPES_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_STDIO_STREAMS_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_STDIO_FILEOPS_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_STDIO_FILEACCESS_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_STDIO_FORMATTED_IO_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_STDIO_CHAR_IO_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_STDIO_DIRECT_IO_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_STDIO_FILEPOS_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_STDIO_ERROR_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_STDLIB_STRCONV_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_STDLIB_ABS_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_STDLIB_DIV_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_STRERROR_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_STRTOK_R_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_STRING_LOCALE_FUNCS_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_STRING_BSD_FUNCS_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_STRING_MEMFUNCS_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_STRING_STRFUNCS_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_STRUCTTIMEVAL_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_FNMATCH_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_POSIX_TIMER_TYPES_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_POSIX_CLOCK_TYPES_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_C_TIME_TYPES_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_POSIX_TIMERS_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_POSIX_CLOCKS_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_C_CLOCK_FUNCS_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_SIGNAL_NUMBERS_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_SIGNAL_IMPL_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_SETJMP_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_SIGSETJMP_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_DIRENT_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_PTHREADTYPES_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_PMUTEXTYPES_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_BSDTYPES_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_UTSNAME_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_SEMAPHORES_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_PTHREAD_IMPL_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_PTHREAD_MUTEX_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_POSIX_LIMITS_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_OPEN_MAX_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_NAME_MAX_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_DNS_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_NETDB_PROTO_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_ISO_NETDB_SERV_HEADER {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGIMP_KERNEL_SCHED_SORTED_QUEUES {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGSEM_KERNEL_SCHED_TIMESLICE_ENABLE {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_component CYGSEM_KERNEL_SCHED_ASR_SUPPORT {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGSEM_KERNEL_SCHED_ASR_GLOBAL {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_component CYGPKG_KERNEL_THREADS_DESTRUCTORS {
    inferred_value 1
};

------------------------------------ end foo.ecm -----------------------------------------

* Re: [ECOS] networking support for my eCos application
@ 2007-11-08 21:05     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2007-11-08 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C B; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 03:00:59PM -0500, C B wrote:

> > Yes, I would definitely suggest that you update to the CVS tree
> > (release 2.0 is nearing 5 years old!)
> >
> > Once you've done that, I'd also suggest that you try some simple
> > things. This sequence should work and generate a test that you
> > can try on your hardware:
> > % ecosconfig new eb9261 net
> > % ecosconfig tree
> > % make; make -C net/common/current tests TESTS=tests/ping_test
>
> Thanks for your help (Andrew & Gary).  I think I'm getting closer.
>
> I got the latest eCos from CVS and the latest configtool &
> ecosconfig from ecoscentric.com.  I copied the relevant hardware
> info from the ecos.db that I have to the one I checked out of CVS.
> I'm able to succesfully perform each of the commands above.
>
> But, when I try to compile and link my own code I still get these
> undefined references when I try to link with the eCos libs I've
> built:
>  >>> undefined reference to 'init_all_network_interfaces'
>  >>> undefined reference to 'eth0_up'
>  >>> undefined reference to 'eth0_bootp_data'
>  >>> undefined reference to 'inet_ntoa'

It sounds like you don't have the CYGPKG_NET package in your
configuration. However that would be strange, the net template always
includes it.

Do an

ecosconfig export foo.ecm

and post foo.ecm.

Also check that net/common/current/src/inet_ntoa.c is getting
compiled and it is in the library install/lib/libtarget.a

    Andrew

* RE: [ECOS] networking support for my eCos application
@ 2007-11-08 20:01   ` C B
From: C B @ 2007-11-08 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> Yes, I would definitely suggest that you update to the CVS tree
> (release 2.0 is nearing 5 years old!)
>
> Once you've done that, I'd also suggest that you try some simple
> things. This sequence should work and generate a test that you
> can try on your hardware:
> % ecosconfig new eb9261 net
> % ecosconfig tree
> % make; make -C net/common/current tests TESTS=tests/ping_test

Thanks for your help (Andrew & Gary).  I think I'm getting closer.

I got the latest eCos from CVS and the latest configtool & ecosconfig from ecoscentric.com.  I copied the relevant hardware info from the ecos.db that I have to the one I checked out of CVS.  I'm able to succesfully perform each of the commands above.

But, when I try to compile and link my own code I still get these undefined references when I try to link with the eCos libs I've built:

 >>> undefined reference to 'init_all_network_interfaces'
 >>> undefined reference to 'eth0_up'
 >>> undefined reference to 'eth0_bootp_data'
 >>> undefined reference to 'inet_ntoa'

The command that gives those errors:
     arm-elf-ld -L"C:\cygwin\opt\ecos\ecos-cvs\tmp\install\lib" -L"C:\cygwin\opt\ecos\ecos-cvs\tmp\net\common\current" -L"C:\cygwin\opt\ecos\gnutools\arm-elf\arm-elf\lib" -L"C:\cygwin\opt\ecos\gnutools\arm-elf\lib\gcc-lib\arm-elf\3.2.1" -Ttarget.ld  -o"Simple.exe"  ./simple.o

The ping_test calls init_all_network_interfaces() so I'm not sure why it's not found.

       [not found]       ` <BAY105-W2585C1EB05E16C54EA73C5EA890@phx.gbl>
@ 2007-11-06  8:34         ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2007-11-06  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C B; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 10:53:52PM -0500, C B wrote:

> > Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 19:42:57 +0100> From: andrew@lunn.ch> To: csb_80@hotmail.com> CC: ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org> Subject: Re: [ECOS] networking support for my eCos application> >
> > > I think I'm missing something here. I checked out the latest from> > CVS without any issues but when I tried 'ecosconfig new eb9261 net'> > I got a bunch of warnings about version subdirectory 'XXX' does not> > have a CDL script and no valid version subdirectories and finally> > and error 'Unknown target eb9261' (out is included below).> > That is probably to do with incompatibilities with the cygwin you have> and the config tool. Grab the latest snapshot from the eCosCentric.com> DevZone.
>
> Thanks for your response Andrew.  Once I get past these initial configuration issues I'm looking forward to working with eCos.
>
> Even running this on a linux VM I get the unknown target error.  Am I missing a step in setting up a new target?

eb9261 is not a target in anonymous cvs. You said you inherited this
code from somebody else. My guess is she has added a new target to
ecos.db and some new packages into the tree.

The easiest way forward is to copy these packages into your anonymous
CVS checkout and add the target entry to the ecos.db.

    Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] networking support for my eCos application
@ 2007-11-05 18:43     ` Andrew Lunn
       [not found]       ` <BAY105-W2585C1EB05E16C54EA73C5EA890@phx.gbl>
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2007-11-05 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C B; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 11:10:59AM -0500, C B wrote:

> Gary,
>
> I think I'm missing something here.  I checked out the latest from
> CVS without any issues but when I tried 'ecosconfig new eb9261 net'
> I got a bunch of warnings about version subdirectory 'XXX' does not
> have a CDL script and no valid version subdirectories and finally
> and error 'Unknown target eb9261' (out is included below).

That is probably to do with incompatibilities with the cygwin you have
and the config tool. Grab the latest snapshot from the eCosCentric.com
DevZone.

> I tried configuring things with configtool and that was even more
> confusing.  I tried building a template based on an ARM eval board
> (PID) but it wouldn't let me add any packages to the template
> (e.g. AT91 ethernet driver) nor was there any obvious way to create
> a new template.  The error I got when trying to add a package was
> 'add and remove hardware packages by selecting a new hardware
> template'.

You are not allowed to add hardware packages to a target. The AT91 eth
driver would not work with the PID, since it is for the on chip
ethernet you find in the AT91SAM7 devices. This is one reason adding
hardware packages are not allowed!

> I also notice that trying to create a new platform with configtool
> provides a dialog box with several fields but regardless of what I
> fill in the ok button is never enabled.

I don't use the config tool, but i don't see how that can work. You
need to edit the ecos.db and add a new target. Use the others as an
example.

> I was just hoping to be able to create an eCos configuration for an
> ARM 9 based evaluation board but I seem to be missing something
> fundamental in how these things are setup.  Is there any
> documentation that takes a new user through the process?

Look at the section:

target integrator_arm9

for an ARM9 example.

    Andrew

* RE: [ECOS] networking support for my eCos application
@ 2007-11-05 16:12   ` C B
From: C B @ 2007-11-05 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Gary,

[...]

Thanks,
Chris

----------- part of the output from 'ecosconfig new eb9261 net' ---------------------

ecos.db, package CYGPKG_HAL: warning
    Version subdirectory `common' does not have a CDL script `hal.cdl'.
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_HAL: warning
    This package does not have any valid version subdirectories.
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_INFRA: warning
    Version subdirectory `infra' does not have a CDL script `infra.cdl'.
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_INFRA: warning
    This package does not have any valid version subdirectories.
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_IO: warning
    Version subdirectory `common' does not have a CDL script `io.cdl'.
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_IO: warning
    This package does not have any valid version subdirectories.
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL: warning
    Version subdirectory `serial' does not have a CDL script `io_serial.cdl'.
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL: warning
    This package does not have any valid version subdirectories.
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_IO_CAN: warning
    Version subdirectory `can' does not have a CDL script `io_can.cdl'.
(a bunch more in here I've removed for brevity)
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_FS_FAT: warning
    Version subdirectory `fat' does not have a CDL script `fatfs.cdl'.
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_FS_FAT: warning
    This package does not have any valid version subdirectories.
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_NET_LWIP: warning
    Version subdirectory `lwip_tcpip' does not have a CDL script `cdl/lwip_net.cdl'.
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_NET_LWIP: warning
    This package does not have any valid version subdirectories.
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_ATHTTPD: warning
    Version subdirectory `athttpd' does not have a CDL script `httpd.cdl'.
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_ATHTTPD: warning
    This package does not have any valid version subdirectories.
Unknown target eb9261

@ 2007-11-02 19:08 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2007-11-02 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C B; +Cc: ecos-discuss