* [ECOS] RFC: 802.1Q VLAN support in eCos
@ 2012-07-16 11:58 Lambrecht Jürgen
From: Lambrecht Jürgen @ 2012-07-16 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos

Hello,

We need 802.1Q VLAN support for our next project, and I we think porting
the FreeBSD VLAN support to eCos will be faster than porting Linux to
our hardware and our software to Linux.

So I ask for your advise and opion:
- I believe eCos has FreeBSD v4.3 (KAME project); does that FreeBSD has
VLAN support?
   If yes I start from there, else I will take a recent FreeBSD release.
- Maybe someone can share some non-published code with VLANs in eCos?
   I will publish my code.
- some hints, ideas?

Here some old mails I found about it:
- my last mail about it:
   http://sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2010-01/msg00025.html
- I agree with Andrew's arguments:
   http://sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2008-10/msg00219.html
- http://sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2006-12/msg00071.html
- http://sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2003-03/msg00373.html

Kind regards,
Jürgen

--
Jürgen Lambrecht
R&D Associate

* Re: [ECOS] RFC: 802.1Q VLAN support in eCos
@ 2012-07-17  8:13 ` Lambrecht Jürgen
From: Lambrecht Jürgen @ 2012-07-17  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 07/16/2012 01:57 PM, Lambrecht Jürgen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We need 802.1Q VLAN support for our next project, and I we think porting
> the FreeBSD VLAN support to eCos will be faster than porting Linux to
> our hardware and our software to Linux.
>
> So I ask for your advise and opion:
> - I believe eCos has FreeBSD v4.3 (KAME project); does that FreeBSD has
 From Massa's book:
"The other networking implementation is derived from FreeBSD networking
code released from
the KAME project. FreeBSD is based on the 4.4BSD-Lite operating system.
Additional infor-
mation about FreeBSD can be found online at:
www.freebsd.org
Additional information about the KAME project can be found online at:
www.kame.net
"

--

@ 2012-09-13 21:05   ` Lambrecht Jürgen
From: Lambrecht Jürgen @ 2012-09-13 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernd Edlinger; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hello Bernd,

I don't know if you saw my email below - maybe you can give me some advice?

Kind regards,
Jürgen

--

@ 2012-09-14 13:16     ` Bernd Edlinger
From: Bernd Edlinger @ 2012-09-14 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi Jürgen,
> Hello Bernd,
>
> I don't know if you saw my email below - maybe you can give me some advice?
>
> Kind regards,
> Jürgen

yes. If you want any kind of support for VLAN tagging in eCos, you have to change the
network driver first. It is normally not configured to send 1522 bytes data packets.
So this has to change, in any case. It might be possible to strip VLAN tags, of filter
certain VLANs in the interface to the network stack.

You could also use a Marvell Switch, to handle the VLAN tags.
This is an ASIC of about the same size than the Atmel Processor, it could be integrated on a
Custom PCB this device can remove the VLAN tags, or add them.

It can handle the QOS field, and reserve certain Bandwith for different QOS values. I do
not see any way the Atmel could process that data volume at all.

This might allow you to keep the network stack unmodified, and use the Switch to
do the hard work.

I added the Transaction oriented interface to the PHY component, to talk to a Marvell
Switching Device, it uses the same SMI protocol as the PHY for the management.

Regards
Bernd.