* RE: [ECOS] RedBoot Question
@ 2001-11-14  2:42 Ravi Kumar B S
From: Ravi Kumar B S @ 2001-11-14  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HuangQiang, eCos

-----Original Message-----
From: HuangQiang [mailto:jameshq@liverpool.ac.uk]
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2001 3:09 PM
To: eCos
Subject: [ECOS] RedBoot Question

Dear All:
   In ARM E7T RedBoot User Manual:

Physical Address Range      		C     B      Description
0x00000000 - 0x0007ffff        	Y     N      SDRAM
0x03f f 0000 - 0x03f f ffff        	N     N      Microcontroller
registers
0x01820000 - 0x0187ffff        	N     N      System flash (mirrored)

In the ARM E7T board there are 512KB SRAM,  512KB Flash memory. compared
with the above redboot memory setting confused me.

Q1:  As indicated above in RedBoot:  0x00000000 - 0x0007ffff SRAM ( ?=
(7ffff/1024) KB SRAM (am I right?) )  But where is the on board 512KB SRAM?
(or maybe I made the wrong way)
yes you are right (7ffff/1024 = 512) KB SRAM. this is the onboard SRAM. i
think among this,
(0x03f f 0000 - 0x03f f ffff = 64kb) is used for system registers that is
apart from the 512kb of SRAM.

Q2: What is the meaning of "mirrored" in "System flash(mirrored)"?
No idea but the fact is that the redboot or any user applications should
start from 01820000 and onwards.

hope this helps.

/Ravi b-s

* Re: [ECOS] RedBoot Question
@ 2007-05-17 22:03 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2007-05-17 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Mills; +Cc: ecos-discuss

* [ECOS] RedBoot Question
@ 2007-05-17 21:55 John Mills
From: John Mills @ 2007-05-17 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

All -

I'm booting eCos with RedBoot and sometimes I need to abort the boot
script. This works fine with the serial console (^C during the delay
interval), but I also need to take control by telnet when serial comm is
not available.

If I issue 'channel -1' at the RedBoot prompt I can then open a telnet
session, but upon reboot the hardware channel setting is back to '0'
(serial) and I can't take control directly by telnet.

How can I configure the "first client gets the console" behavior from hard
reset? (I can reconfigure and rebuild RedBoot if necessary, but it would
be easier if there is just a persistent 'fconfig' setting I could use.)

Hardware is MIPS / AP30.

TIA.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills@alum.mit.edu

* [ECOS] Redboot question
@ 2007-04-01 13:56 Michael Dorin
From: Michael Dorin @ 2007-04-01 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,
I updated my environment and can now build any
target I want.  Thanks for the help!

Question.  I am trying to get redboot/ecos to boot
on an arm simulator.  Skyeye is what I am trying,
but if there is another simulator out there that
works, I would be happy to try that too.

Anyway, redboot must configure a memory map and
IO, etc. when it starts.

Currently I am getting a ton of io_write_word errors.

My guess is that reboot and skyeye think the memory
and IO map is different.

Where can I look to see how redboot configures
IO and RAM?  I am now trying the smdk2410 target.

Thanks,
 Mike

* Re: [ECOS] RedBoot Question
@ 2004-04-07 11:03 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2004-04-07 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mohanlal jangir; +Cc: eCos Discussion

mohanlal jangir said:
> Does RedBoot ever need to use macros like VIRT_TO_BUS and BUS_TO_VIRT or it
> accesses physical addresses directly?

It depends on your platform, but in general, yes you should use them,

Note: just because RedBoot runs without interrupts, it does not mean
that it does not use the MMU if it wants/needs to.

* [ECOS] RedBoot Question
@ 2004-04-07 10:33 mohanlal jangir
From: mohanlal jangir @ 2004-04-07 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discussion

Does RedBoot ever need to use macros like VIRT_TO_BUS and BUS_TO_VIRT or it
accesses physical addresses directly?

Regards
Mohanlal

* Re: [ECOS] Redboot Question
@ 2002-07-09  5:57 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-07-09  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anton.poon; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 00:53, anton.poon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question regarding boot loader. For the boot-loader to pass
> parameters to the kernel, they need to agree on a memory location for
> infomation to go.  Prior to kernel 2.4, a structure was used, for 2.4
> kernels onwards, a tagged-parameter mechanism is used, can a boot loader,
> lets say redboot, boot all kernels prior and after 2.4, or is it dedicated
> to certain versions of kernels?  Where can I find information about format
> and structure of the parameters passed to kernel?

We've done this for ARM (and other) architectures.  Take a look
at the file: hal/arm/arch/current/src/redboot_linux_exec.c

* [ECOS] Redboot Question
@ 2002-07-08 23:51 anton.poon
From: anton.poon @ 2002-07-08 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

I have a question regarding boot loader. For the boot-loader to pass
parameters to the kernel, they need to agree on a memory location for
infomation to go.  Prior to kernel 2.4, a structure was used, for 2.4
kernels onwards, a tagged-parameter mechanism is used, can a boot loader,
lets say redboot, boot all kernels prior and after 2.4, or is it dedicated
to certain versions of kernels?  Where can I find information about format
and structure of the parameters passed to kernel?

thanks

* Re: [ECOS] RedBoot Question
@ 2001-11-14  2:50 ` Simon
From: Simon @ 2001-11-14  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HuangQiang, ecos-discuss

Huang,
    1. the answer is 512K byte. 0x10000 = 64K  such that 0x80000 = 512K
    2. you can use ICE to dump the memory 0x0 and 0x1800000 and you will
see the same contents. please have a look at Samsung's document before
asking
questions.
    "Not hard but easy"

Simon

Physical Address Range      C     B      Description
0x00000000 - 0x0007ffff        Y     N      SDRAM
0x03f f 0000 - 0x03f f ffff        N     N      Microcontroller registers
0x01820000 - 0x0187ffff        N     N      System flash (mirrored)

In the ARM E7T board there are 512KB SRAM,  512KB Flash memory. compared
with the above redboot memory setting confused me.

Q1:  As indicated above in RedBoot:  0x00000000 - 0x0007ffff SRAM ( ?=
(7ffff/1024) KB SRAM (am I right?) )  But where is the on board 512KB SRAM?
(or maybe I made the wrong way)

Q2: What is the meaning of "mirrored" in "System flash(mirrored)"?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards!

Mr Huang Qiang
Postgraduate Student
Room318 B-Block
Department Of Electrical Engineering And Electronics
University Of Liverpool
Brownlow Hill
Liverpool L69,3GJ
UK