* [ECOS] Building redboot with eCos Kernel
@ 2006-05-31  0:14 Andre-John Mas
From: Andre-John Mas @ 2006-05-31  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

Is it accepted to include the ecos kernel in a redboot image? I am working on some existing code for my company and when the kernel is included in the boot we have trouble debugging. What happens, is when we connect using gdm the application gets sent, but stalls. The serial connection then stalls and then timesout.

Any idea?

Andre

* [ECOS]  Re: Building redboot with eCos Kernel
@ 2006-05-31  3:09 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2006-05-31  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 2006-05-31, Andre-John Mas <ajmas@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Is it accepted to include the ecos kernel in a redboot image?

No, I don't think so.  At least I've never heard of that being
done, and based on what I know of things I don't think it can
work.  Redboot is purely a "mainloop" type polling application,
and the the eCos kernel requires interrupts be enabled.

> I am working on some existing code for my company and when the
> kernel is included in the boot we have trouble debugging. What
> happens, is when we connect using gdm the application gets
> sent, but stalls. The serial connection then stalls and then
> timesout.
>
> Any idea?

What are you trying to accomplish by including the eCos Kernel
in RedBoot?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Is something VIOLENT
                                  at               going to happen to a

* Re: [ECOS]  Re: Building redboot with eCos Kernel
@ 2006-06-01  1:51   ` André-John Mas
From: André-John Mas @ 2006-06-01  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi,

I pretty much figured that was the case. I'll have to find if
anyone in my company can tell me what it is doing there.

Thanks for the help.

Andre

@ 2004-05-21 16:18 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2004-05-21 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Savin Zlobec; +Cc: jam2000, ecos-discuss

Savin Zlobec <savin@elatec.si> writes:

> Nick Garnett wrote:
>
> >Michael Jastrebtsoff <jam2000@pisem.net> writes:
> >
> >> Hello, All.
> >> I need to build Redboot with FAT support. But FAT requires eCos
> >> kernel.
> >> I try build Redboot with eCos kernel, but this don't work.(when i
> >> connected to redboot via terminal, i'v  got a random chars on screen.)
> >
> >The FAT filesystem will not work in RedBoot since it requires too many
> >kernel facilities to work. You cannot put the kernel into RedBoot
> >since RedBoot is intended to be a stand alone application, there are
> >just too many assumptions for this to work.
> >
> There shouldn't be a lot do to get fatfs into RedBoot - all I can think of
> right now is the cyg_mempool_* api which is not available in nonkernel
> configurations.
>
> >The only use that RedBoot would have for FAT filesystem support is to
> >load executables. So a simple read-only loader similar to the one that
> >already exists for ext2 would be a better solution.
> >
> This has already beed done - check The DODES project at
> http://www.m17n.org/dodes/ecos/index.en.html.

Give or take a bit of fixing to bring it up to date -- it is 2.5 years
old -- that is what I meant. It's a pity it has never been contributed
back to the public repository.

However, the main point is that putting the whole FAT fs into RedBoot
is overkill when RedBoot can only use it for read-only access. We need
to do our best to keep RedBoot small.

* [ECOS] Re: building redboot with eCos kernel
@ 2004-05-21 15:03 Savin Zlobec
From: Savin Zlobec @ 2004-05-21 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jam2000, nickg; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Nick Garnett wrote:

>Michael Jastrebtsoff <jam2000@pisem.net> writes:
>
>> Hello, All.
>>
>> I need to build Redboot with FAT support. But FAT requires eCos
>> kernel.
>>
>> I try build Redboot with eCos kernel, but this don't work.(when i
>> connected to redboot via terminal, i'v  got a random chars on screen.)
>
>The FAT filesystem will not work in RedBoot since it requires too many
>kernel facilities to work. You cannot put the kernel into RedBoot
>since RedBoot is intended to be a stand alone application, there are
>just too many assumptions for this to work.

There shouldn't be a lot do to get fatfs into RedBoot - all I can think of
right now is the cyg_mempool_* api which is not available in nonkernel
configurations.

>The only use that RedBoot would have for FAT filesystem support is to
>load executables. So a simple read-only loader similar to the one that
>already exists for ext2 would be a better solution.

This has already beed done - check The DODES project at
http://www.m17n.org/dodes/ecos/index.en.html.

savin