* [ECOS]-  fat file system (dosfs)
@ 2007-06-03 17:43 Alok Singh
From: Alok Singh @ 2007-06-03 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,
Dosfs code present in CVS is capable of reading and writing to the
existing dosfs partition.
It would be nice to have the capability to create a dosfs partition too.
Any file system expert out here, who can let me know what it takes to
implement this functionality (license permitted), and if there is free
source code available somewhere for reference! I'm on search from my
side.

regards,
Alok

* Re: [ECOS]-  fat file system (dosfs)
@ 2007-06-03 20:41 ` Sergei Gavrikov
From: Sergei Gavrikov @ 2007-06-03 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alok Singh; +Cc: eCos discuss list

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 11:13:23PM +0530, Alok Singh wrote:

> Hi,
> Dosfs code present in CVS is capable of reading and writing to the
> existing dosfs partition.
> It would be nice to have the capability to create a dosfs partition too.
> Any file system expert out here, who can let me know what it takes to
> implement this functionality (license permitted), and if there is free
> source code available somewhere for reference! I'm on search from my
> side.

If you didn't mean to create it under eCos..., you can use Linux as well

32 Mb ms-dos disk

1) dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/msdos count=64k 	;# 512x64k room
2) mkfs.msdos /tmp/msdos, or mkmsdos /tmp/msdos ;# create ms-dos fs
3) mount /tmp/msdos /mnt/disk -oloop,rw 	;# mount, do it as root

I think that using `mtools', you can mformat it, mcopy files there, etc.

Sergei

* RE: [ECOS]-  fat file system (dosfs)
@ 2007-06-04  0:44   ` Alok Singh
From: Alok Singh @ 2007-06-04  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergei Gavrikov; +Cc: eCos discuss list

Sergei,
I need to create the partition under ecos only. I've to support
fatfs(creation, read and write) on the flash device. My boot-loader too
only supports read of fatfs. So I need to do it from my ecos
application.
Nevertheless, the information provided by you is quite useful for me.

regards,
Alok

@ 2007-06-04  6:22 ` rtos
From: rtos @ 2007-06-04  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

http://elm-chan.org/fsw/ff/00index_e.html

http://elm-chan.org/fsw/ff/en/mkfs.html

@ 2007-06-03 20:54 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2007-06-03 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alok Singh; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 11:08:42PM +0530, Alok Singh wrote:

> Hi,
> Dosfs code present in CVS is capable of reading and writing to the
> existing dosfs partition.
> It would be nice to have the capability to create a dosfs partition too.
> Any file system expert out here, who can let me know what it takes to
> implement this functionality (license permitted), and if there is free
> source code available somewhere for reference! I'm on search from my
> side.

For reference only you can look at mtools mformat. It uses the GPL, so
is not compatible with the modified GPL License eCos uses. I don't
know of any sources with a MIT/BSD style license which could be used
directly. I suspect you will have to read the various documents that
exist about FAT and write a new package or extend the existing
package.

        Andrew

* [ECOS]-  fat file system (dosfs)
@ 2007-06-03 17:38 Alok Singh