* Re: [ECOS] ecos for ATLAS (MIPS 4Kc)
@ 2003-04-22 10:02 Michael Anburaj
From: Michael Anburaj @ 2003-04-22 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bartv; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Bart,

Thanks for sharing the info. I have just got Redhat Linux 9 install on my
machine.. Let me try it & update you.

Thanks,
-Mike.

@ 2003-07-04 12:02 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-07-04 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Anburaj; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Michael Anburaj" <embeddedeng@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi Nick,
>
> >there. Did you get any error messages during the configuration?
> >

> Yea, after I chose the template & reboot packages, configtool reported
> config conflict & suggested 5 options & I chose them all without
> paying much atttension.
>
> This time I chose not to resolve the conflict by choosing "none" &
> then I imported the reboot_ROM.ecm, the conflict got automaticaly
> resolved & io_flash.h got generated. I guess I should pay more
> attension while resolving conflicts.

Yes, When using the GUI tool it is always best to wait until after
adding any packages or ECMs to resolve conflicts. I use the
commandline tool, which behaves this way by default.

> <worst things was> I searched for io_flash.h in ecos source rep. &
> didn't find it there. & searched for the key "io_flash.h" & didn't
> find it on any .cdl.  But, now I understant it
> line from io_flash.cdl: puts $::cdl_header "#include <pkgconf/system.h>"
> cdl_header == io_flash.h in this case

Yes, it's a generated file, like all the others in the pkgconf
directory.

> One more thing:
> I get these warnings.
> BFD: /root/ecos_proj/mips/redboot_install/bin/redboot.img: warning:
> allocated section `.data' not in segment
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/root/ecos_proj/mips/redboot_build/hal/mips/atlas/current'
> BFD: /root/ecos_proj/mips/redboot_install/bin/redboot.img: warning:
> allocated section `.ctors' not in segment
> BFD: /root/ecos_proj/mips/redboot_install/bin/redboot.img: warning:
> allocated section `.devtab' not in segment
> BFD: /root/ecos_proj/mips/redboot_install/bin/redboot.img: warning:
> allocated section `.sdata' not in segment
> BFD: /root/ecos_proj/mips/redboot_install/bin/redboot.img: warning:
> allocated section `.lit8' not in segment
> BFD: /root/ecos_proj/mips/redboot_install/bin/redboot.img: warning:
> allocated section `.lit4' not in segment

I got this too. I believe it is the result of a benign bug in the BFD
library.

* Re: [ECOS] ecos for ATLAS (MIPS 4Kc)
@ 2003-07-03 19:25 Michael Anburaj
From: Michael Anburaj @ 2003-07-03 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi Nick,

>there. Did you get any error messages during the configuration?

Yea, after I chose the template & reboot packages, configtool reported
config conflict & suggested 5 options & I chose them all without paying much
atttension.

This time I chose not to resolve the conflict by choosing "none" & then I
imported the reboot_ROM.ecm, the conflict got automaticaly resolved &
io_flash.h got generated. I guess I should pay more attension while
resolving conflicts.

<worst things was> I searched for io_flash.h in ecos source rep. & didn't
find it there. & searched for the key "io_flash.h" & didn't find it on any
.cdl.  But, now I understant it
line from io_flash.cdl: puts $::cdl_header "#include <pkgconf/system.h>"
cdl_header == io_flash.h in this case

One more thing:
I get these warnings.
BFD: /root/ecos_proj/mips/redboot_install/bin/redboot.img: warning:
allocated section `.data' not in segment
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/root/ecos_proj/mips/redboot_build/hal/mips/atlas/current'
BFD: /root/ecos_proj/mips/redboot_install/bin/redboot.img: warning:
allocated section `.ctors' not in segment
BFD: /root/ecos_proj/mips/redboot_install/bin/redboot.img: warning:
allocated section `.devtab' not in segment
BFD: /root/ecos_proj/mips/redboot_install/bin/redboot.img: warning:
allocated section `.sdata' not in segment
BFD: /root/ecos_proj/mips/redboot_install/bin/redboot.img: warning:
allocated section `.lit8' not in segment
BFD: /root/ecos_proj/mips/redboot_install/bin/redboot.img: warning:
allocated section `.lit4' not in segment

Thanks a lot,
-Mike

* Re: [ECOS] ecos for ATLAS (MIPS 4Kc)
@ 2003-07-03 14:32 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-07-03 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Anburaj; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Michael Anburaj" <embeddedeng@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Today when I tried building reboot for my Atlas 4Kc board, it wouldn't
> build. I get an error, "io_flash.h" not found.
>
> FYI: I am building it out of current CVS rep. source.
>
> packages/devs/flash/mips/atlas/current/src/atlas_flash.c includes
> <cyg/io/flash.h>
> & packages/io/flash/v2_0/include/flash.h includes <pkgconf/io_flash.h>
>
> io_flash.h such file is not present in the source tree and also is not
> getting generated by a .cdl
>
> Did I miss something?

I just tried this, also out of a freshly updated anoncvs checkout, and
had no problem. pkgconf/io_flash.h is definitely present.

Did you use the redboot template and import the correct .ecm file? A
missing io_flash.h implies that the CYGPKG_IO_FLASH package is not
present. Check the start of the ecos.ecc file to see whether it is

@ 2003-07-03 11:47 Michael Anburaj
From: Michael Anburaj @ 2003-07-03 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

@ 2003-05-03 18:13 Michael Anburaj
From: Michael Anburaj @ 2003-05-03 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jifl; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi all,

To work with Redboot's menu I needed a serial com utility (like the windows
Hyperterminal). I tried minicom. Configured for /dev/ttyS1, 115200 bauds &
no hardware handshaking (PC has COM1 port). Nothing seems to work. Can any
one suggest a method to debug this issue? Or any other utility.

Thanks,
-Mike.

* Re: [ECOS] ecos for ATLAS (MIPS 4Kc)
@ 2003-04-28 13:26 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-04-28 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Anburaj; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Michael Anburaj wrote:
> Hi Jonathan, Nick & Bart,
>
> Thanks a lot all of you.
>
> I did something <build for Malta & played with vecotr.s> & magicaly the
> error disappeared. I need to verify this on another machine.

Just resaving the file would update the timestamp and ensure a rebuild so
that might have been all.

> Cool! for now I was able to run the example programs on my Atlas board,
> Final!

Good!

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] ecos for ATLAS (MIPS 4Kc)
@ 2003-04-28  7:46 Michael Anburaj
From: Michael Anburaj @ 2003-04-28  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jifl; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Jonathan, Nick & Bart,

Thanks a lot all of you.

I did something <build for Malta & played with vecotr.s> & magicaly the
error disappeared. I need to verify this on another machine.

Cool! for now I was able to run the example programs on my Atlas board,
Final!

Thanks & Cheers,
-Mike.

@ 2003-04-27 19:33 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-04-27 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Anburaj; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2003-04-26 15:04 Michael Anburaj
From: Michael Anburaj @ 2003-04-26 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jifl; +Cc: bartv, ecos-discuss, nickg

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks a lot for the info. But in the Package manager under "Kernel
Development" only TCL is optional the other stuffs are under defualt & there
is no option to pick just TCL. But for now I have more pressing issues.

@ 2003-04-25 19:54 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-04-25 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Anburaj; +Cc: bartv, ecos-discuss, nickg

@ 2003-04-25 11:36 Michael Anburaj
From: Michael Anburaj @ 2003-04-25 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: embeddedeng, bartv; +Cc: ecos-discuss, nickg

Hi,

I uninstalled TCL/TK that I installed earlier using
ActiveTcl8.4.2.0-linux-ix86.tar.gz

Then from the RedHat linux's Package manager chose "Kernel Development"
which also included TCL+Shared libraries. Eureka! Configtool worked after
installing this package.

But this package contains a whole lot of other unwanted stuffs (for now)
like the linux source & some stuff. This is taking most of my free disc
space.

Please let me know why the installation with
ActiveTcl8.4.2.0-linux-ix86.tar.gz did not work?
If not, let me know the URL for the TCL+shared libraries installation
package & the name of the tar or zip or rpm file for the same.

Thanks,
-Mike.

@ 2003-04-25  8:24 Michael Anburaj
From: Michael Anburaj @ 2003-04-25  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bartv; +Cc: ecos-discuss, nickg

@ 2003-04-19 11:24 ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2003-04-19 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: embeddedeng; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2003-04-18  8:54 Michael Anburaj
From: Michael Anburaj @ 2003-04-18  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nickg; +Cc: ecos-discuss

I have got cygwin installed at c:\cygwin
& mipsisa32-elf at c:\gnutools\

Question1:
When I ran mipsisa32-elf-gdb from the command prompt, it said cygwin1.dll is
missing. Then I had to copy this from the c:\cygwin\bin to
C:\gnutools\mipsisa32-elf\bin
Is the gnutools package missing cygwin1.dll? Or is something wrong with my
installation?

Question2:
I opened ecos cfg_tool 2.11 & chose MIPS atlas 4Kc template & tried building
the libraries, I got an error saying make was missing, Then I had to copy
make.exe from my old mipsisa32-elf tools
(C:\mips3264-020217\H-i686-pc-cygwin\bin to C:\gnutools\mipsisa32-elf\bin).
Again Is the gnutools package missing make.exe? Or is something wrong with
my installation?

Question3:
Now when I tried building the ecos library I get the following errors (I
have just copied a portion error):

make[1]: Entering directory
`/ecos-c/ecos/proj/atlas4kc/test_build/hal/common/current'
mipsisa32-elf-gcc -c  -I/ecos-c/ecos/proj/atlas4kc/test_install/include
-I/ecos-c/ecos/packages/hal/common/current
-I/ecos-c/ecos/packages/hal/common/current/src
-I/ecos-c/ecos/packages/hal/common/current/tests -I.
-I/ecos-c/ecos/packages/hal/common/current/src/ -mips32 -EL -msoft-float
-Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Winline -Wundef
-Woverloaded-virtual -g -O2 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-rtti
-fno-exceptions -fvtable-gc -finit-priority -G0 -Wp,-MD,src/drv_api.tmp -o
src/hal_common_drv_api.o
/ecos-c/ecos/packages/hal/common/current/src/drv_api.c
In file included from
/ecos-c/ecos/packages/hal/common/current/src/drv_api.c:55:
/ecos-c/ecos/proj/atlas4kc/test_install/include/pkgconf/system.h:24:2:
invalid preprocessing directive #define
/ecos-c/ecos/proj/atlas4kc/test_install/include/pkgconf/system.h:25:2:
invalid preprocessing directive #define
/ecos-c/ecos/proj/atlas4kc/test_install/include/pkgconf/system.h:26:2:
invalid preprocessing directive #define
/ecos-c/ecos/proj/atlas4kc/test_install/include/pkgconf/system.h:27:2:
invalid preprocessing directive #define
/ecos-c/ecos/proj/atlas4kc/test_install/include/pkgconf/system.h:28:2:
invalid preprocessing directive #define
/ecos-c/ecos/proj/atlas4kc/test_install/include/pkgconf/system.h:29:2:
invalid preprocessing directive #define

Please guild me!!!!

Thanks a lot,
-Michael.

* Re: [ECOS] ecos for ATLAS (MIPS 4Kc)
@ 2003-04-14 12:02 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-04-14 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Anburaj; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Michael Anburaj" <embeddedeng@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> After a year I am back to work on the MIPS atlas port for my personal
> Atlas board.
>
> I pulled the ecos source from the CVR repository using ecos as Tag.
>
> I feel that some things have changed drastically. I tried building the
> example code (hello.c).

Some things have changed. I recently brought the Atlas port up to full
eCos specification, it was RedBoot only before. However, these changes
were not drastic, just some relatively minor tweaks.

> Problems I faced:
>
> 1. Compilation error with the math lib files.
> Workaround: I disabled the Math library to get passed this.
>
> 2. Linker options fatal-warnings not recognized by ld.
> Workaround: I changed -WI, fatal-warnings to -WI.... This option is
> under infra build options >> Additional linker flags.

It looks to me like your toolchain is out of date. We are now moving
over to a 3.x based toolchain, it probably has some different
options. There are now prebuilt downloadable versions of the tools for
mipsisa32-elf. Follow the links from the eCos web site download
section to find them (I'm not online at present, so I cannot give you
the URL).

> 3. When I ran the hello example program (with the terminal utility
> connected to the Serial0 & Serial1 at 115200 bauds).
>
> Observation: Serial0: sent a GDB packet, & Serial1: nothing
>
> When I looked at the build options under ecos HAL >> MIPS architecture
> >> Atlas eval board >> no of comm channels on the board == 1.
>
> I would think it to be 2. Why?

It's all set up to use the DbgSer channel by default. That's all
that's currently supported. The PdSer port is driven by the SAA9730
while the DbgSer port is driven by a separate 16550 UART. We currently
use the SAA9730 only for the ethernet device, and the infrastructure
is not present to handle the serial device.

> ecos HAL >> MIPS architecture >> Atlas eval board >> Debug serial port
> & Diagnostic serial port are both configured to be 0.
>
> Note: In the past I have seen printfs sending stuff though one of the
> Serial ports.

Just DbgSer I suspect.

> Does somebody have an explanation for these changes that I see? Or did
> I use the wrong tag (ecos) to pull the source?

Yep. A year is a long time in software. :-)

* Re: [ECOS] ecos for ATLAS (MIPS 4Kc)
@ 2003-04-14  8:16 Michael Anburaj
From: Michael Anburaj @ 2003-04-14  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

[...]

Note: In the past I have seen printfÂ’s sending stuff though one of the
Serial ports.

@ 2002-07-19  0:07 ` Iztok Zupet
From: Iztok Zupet @ 2002-07-19  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike A; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Friday 19 July 2002 08:40, Mike A wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I could run the examples from ecos package 1.3 (hello, serial, simple-alarm
> & twothreads) on my ATLAS (MIPS 4Kc) board. The ecos repository is in sync.
> with the latest source using wincvs.
>
> All these examples were built for the ROM with the ROM start-up & ran
> Standalone (ROMable code) out of Flash. I found some problems while running
> them. It was evident while running simple-alarm & twothreads images. There
> seems to be some problem with the system tick timer. I believe task
> switching is not happening due to this & also the OS timers are not
> ticking. I am still to work on this & get closer to the problem.
>
> If any of you have a clue on this, please share with me. Thanks a lot.
>
> Cheers!!
> -Mike.

It might be, that Your timer tick interrupt doesnt work. First check if the
interrupts work?

And : if You build ROM code, You must enable the following:
  CYGSEM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_INIT_WHOLE_TABLE

Regards
iz

@ 2002-07-18 23:40 Mike A
From: Mike A @ 2002-07-18 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iz, nickg; +Cc: ecos-discuss

       [not found] <F27L0Yd8rXsFMIC1U1e0000a98f@hotmail.com>
@ 2002-06-17  1:30 ` Iztok Zupet
From: Iztok Zupet @ 2002-06-17  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike A; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2002-06-17  0:59 Mike A
From: Mike A @ 2002-06-17  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iz, nickg; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi, Iztok,

Thanks a lot for You & Nick Garnett... for all the helpful tips.

At last I am able to build the ecos library sucessfuly. As you said I had to
download the cygwin.

Thanks,
-Mike.

@ 2002-06-17  0:16 ` Iztok Zupet
From: Iztok Zupet @ 2002-06-17  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike A, nickg; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2002-06-16 21:16 Mike A
From: Mike A @ 2002-06-16 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iz, nickg; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2002-06-16 12:05 Mike A
From: Mike A @ 2002-06-16 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iz; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi,

I installed Wincvs 1.3 & Python on the Win98 machine.

CVS Repository Configuration
Authentication: pserver
Host address: source.redhat.com
User name: anoncvs

User password: anoncvs

Create >> chechout module
Module name & path on server: ecos
Local folder to check out to: C:\
After I cliecked ok this checked out a lot of files under
C:\ecos\CVS ,
C:\ecos\doc ,
C:\ecos\examples &
C:\ecos\packages

after some time it gave an error message like this & stopped,
cvs95 [checkout aborted]: *PANIC* administration files missing

*****CVS exited normally with code 1*****

Then I closed & try this again. This time I get the error message only,
below is the capture of the error message window:

Python 2.2.1 (#34, Apr  9 2002, 19:34:33) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
CVSROOT: anoncvs@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/ecos (password authentication)
TCL is available, shell is enabled : help (select and press enter)
cvs login
Logging in to :pserver:anoncvs@sources.redhat.com:2401/cvs/ecos

*****CVS exited normally with code 0*****

cvs checkout -P ecos (in directory C:\)
cvs95 checkout: in directory .:
cvs95 [checkout aborted]: *PANIC* administration files missing

*****CVS exited normally with code 1*****

Please help me through this. Thanks a lot.

-Mike.

@ 2002-06-15 11:39 ` Iztok Zupet
From: Iztok Zupet @ 2002-06-15 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike A; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2002-06-15  9:38 Mike A
From: Mike A @ 2002-06-15  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nickg; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2002-06-15  3:20 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2002-06-15  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike A; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Mike A" <embeddedeng@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I just installed ecos 1.31 & I have GNUpro for the MIPS procesor. I
> have a ATLAS (4Kc MIPS) board & though of trying ecos on it. I don;t
> think ecos 1.31 has a port (or the HAL) for ATLAS. Can anyone help me
> get the port for ATLAS & some example builds?

You will need to use version 2 - there are both Atlas and Malta board
ports in there. Beware that most of the work for these boards was for
RedBoot only. The eCos ports were incidental. I believe they work,
but there are no guarantees.

--
Nick Garnett - eCos Kernel Architect

* [ECOS] ecos for ATLAS (MIPS 4Kc)
@ 2002-06-15  1:53 Mike A
From: Mike A @ 2002-06-15  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

I just installed ecos 1.31 & I have GNUpro for the MIPS procesor. I have a
ATLAS (4Kc MIPS) board & though of trying ecos on it. I don;t think ecos
1.31 has a port (or the HAL) for ATLAS. Can anyone help me get the port for
ATLAS & some example builds?

Thanks a lot...
-Mike.