* [ECOS] Using Wiggler hardware from Macgregor to connect to JTAg interface
@ 2005-08-20  0:15 baljeet singh
From: baljeet singh @ 2005-08-20  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

All,
I have been using the Wiggler hardware from
Macgregor for downloading applications on the
Atmel EB40 board using the JTAG port. It is much
faster then using the serial port. Everything
works fine as long as the board is setup to power
up in NON Redboot mode (This board has a switch
to select between Redboot or Angel monitor/boot
loader from Atmel). If I boot it in Redboot mode,
applications can't run.
Has anybody any experience with the Wiggler
device?

Is there anything specific that needs to be done
for using this device in Redboot mode?

Is there any other way of using the JTAG
interface to download applications on the board
that will keep the Redboot features intact?
 (I am using cygwin on Windows XP)

* RE: [ECOS] Using Wiggler hardware from Macgregor to connect to JTAg interface
@ 2005-08-20  2:08 ` Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2005-08-20  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discuss

> From: baljeet singh
>
> I have been using the Wiggler hardware from
> Macgregor for downloading applications on the
> Atmel EB40 board using the JTAG port. It is much
> faster then using the serial port. Everything
> works fine as long as the board is setup to power
> up in NON Redboot mode (This board has a switch
> to select between Redboot or Angel monitor/boot
> loader from Atmel). If I boot it in Redboot mode,
> applications can't run.
> Has anybody any experience with the Wiggler
> device?

Isn't it true, also, that when debugging via JTAG, you don't have access to
the thread-related debugging commands, and you can't do diagnostic writes to
the debug console?

It seems to me that JTAG debugging is really only appropriate for debugging
startup code, when Redboot services haven't been initialized anyway. If you
want full eCos debugging via something faster than a serial port, Ethernet
would be the way to go. I'd be tempted to wire up some off-the-shelf
Ethernet chip on a daughterboard, if I was condemned to do a lot of
debugging on the EB40.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco