* RE: [ECOS] compile error when using newer version ecos configurat ion tool
@ 2001-11-01 20:52 Fabrice Gautier
From: Fabrice Gautier @ 2001-11-01 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Andrew Lunn'; +Cc: eCos

> PS. What does BSS stand for anyway? Answers on a post card please.

I actually think I know that, but I don't have any postcard, sorry...

A+

Fabrice

--
Fabrice Gautier,
Fabrice_Gautier@sdesigns.com

* Re: [ECOS] compile error when using newer version ecos configurat ion tool
@ 2001-11-02  9:12 ` Andrew Lunn
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2001-11-02  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Gautier; +Cc: eCos

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 12:59:48PM -0800, Fabrice Gautier wrote:

> > PS. What does BSS stand for anyway? Answers on a post card please.
> >

> I actually think I know that, but I don't have any postcard, sorry...

Thats OK. I went hunting and found a definition. Blank Static
Storage. Took some finding. Its one of the acronyms which everyone
uses but few people actually know what is stands for.

     Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] compile error when using newer version ecos configurat ion tool
@ 2001-11-02 12:41   ` David Airlie
From: David Airlie @ 2001-11-02 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: Fabrice Gautier, 	eCos

> > I actually think I know that, but I don't have any postcard, sorry...
>
> Thats OK. I went hunting and found a definition. Blank Static
> Storage. Took some finding. Its one of the acronyms which everyone
> uses but few people actually know what is stands for.

Block Started by Symbol was one I heard once before ... some IBM assembler
one .. your one sounds better...

Dave.

--
      David Airlie, Software Engineer, Parthus Technologies plc.,
       Mary Rosse Centre, National Tech Park, Limerick, Ireland.

* Re: [ECOS] compile error when using newer version ecos configurat ion tool
@ 2001-11-02 17:59   ` jf simon
From: jf simon @ 2001-11-02 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos

> > I actually think I know that, but I don't have any
postcard, sorry...

> Thats OK. I went hunting and found a definition. Blank
Static
> Storage. Took some finding. Its one of the acronyms
which everyone
> uses but few people actually know what is stands for.

I found another one:
BSS: Block started by Symbol ( IBM 7090 assembly
directive... very old) . From "The design of the Unix
system" MJ. Bach
-jfs

* Re: [ECOS] compile error when using newer version ecos configurat ion tool
@ 2001-11-03 11:02   ` Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2001-11-03 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: Fabrice Gautier, eCos

Andrew Lunn wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 12:59:48PM -0800, Fabrice Gautier wrote:
>
>>>PS. What does BSS stand for anyway? Answers on a post card please.
>>>

>>I actually think I know that, but I don't have any postcard, sorry...
>>

> Thats OK. I went hunting and found a definition. Blank Static
> Storage. Took some finding. Its one of the acronyms which everyone
> uses but few people actually know what is stands for.

I asked the compiler folks around here.  The answer I got was that
  "bss" was actually the mnemonic for the IBM/370 instruction that
zero'ed a section of memory, and hence how the naming of the section was derived.

No-one can recall what the mnemonics actually stood for though - not old enough ;-)

-- Alex

* Re: [ECOS] compile error when using newer version ecos configurat ion tool
@ 2001-11-03 16:24     ` Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2001-11-03 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alexs; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, Fabrice Gautier, jfsimon, eCos

Alex Schuilenburg wrote:

> I asked the compiler folks around here.  The answer I got was that
>  "bss" was actually the mnemonic for the IBM/370 instruction that
> zero'ed a section of memory, and hence how the naming of the section was
> derived.
>
> No-one can recall what the mnemonics actually stood for though - not old
> enough ;-)

Correction :-)

It was a PDP10 instruction and not an IBM/370 as originally reported
and it really stands for:

         Block Started By Symbol.

As reported by "jf simon" <jfsimon@mageos.com>

Clear as mud really...

-- Alex

* Re: [ECOS] compile error when using newer version ecos configurat ion  tool
@ 2001-11-05 17:14     ` Chris Gray
From: Chris Gray @ 2001-11-05 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alexs; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, Fabrice Gautier, eCos

Alex Schuilenburg wrote:

> I asked the compiler folks around here.  The answer I got was that
>   "bss" was actually the mnemonic for the IBM/370 instruction that
> zero'ed a section of memory, and hence how the naming of the section was derived.
>
> No-one can recall what the mnemonics actually stood for though - not old enough ;-)

I'd better not admit to having a 360 assembler manual at home then ...

My favourite ASM/360 instruction was the one to set memory to BCD
zero: Zero and Add Packed, it was called. :)

Chris

* RE: [ECOS] compile error when using newer version ecos configurat ion tool
@ 2001-11-06 18:20       ` Patrick Doyle
From: Patrick Doyle @ 2001-11-06 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Gray, eCos

> My favourite ASM/360 instruction was the one to set memory to BCD
> zero: Zero and Add Packed, it was called. :)

I used to work with the TMS32020 DSP from TI (about 15 years ago).  My
favorite instruction on that processor was the XOR with a Konstant
instruction... spelled XORK :-)

--wpd

* Re: [ECOS] BSS [was compile error when using newer version ecos configurat ion  tool]
@ 2001-11-07  1:54       ` Tommy Reynolds
From: Tommy Reynolds @ 2001-11-07  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Gray; +Cc: alexs, andrew.lunn, Fabrice_Gautier, ecos-discuss

It was a dark and stormy night.  Suddenly
"Chris Gray" <chris.gray@acunia.com> began to type furiously:

> Alex Schuilenburg wrote:
>
> > I asked the compiler folks around here.  The answer I got was that
> >   "bss" was actually the mnemonic for the IBM/370 instruction that
> > zero'ed a section of memory, and hence how the naming of the section was derived.
> >
> > No-one can recall what the mnemonics actually stood for though - not old enough ;-)

Well, I qualify for this one ;-)

Back in the olden days when everything was written in assembly language,
evaluating arithmetic expressions was really hard; that's why FORTRAN originally
constrained array subscripts to look like "n*k+i": you could leave out parts but
if present, they must be written in this order.

Anyway, writing in assembly language itself was a bit of a challenge because the
assembler didn't allow expressions just anywhere.  Where today, you'd write
something like:

	MyLabel: . = . + 500

to reserve some memory, the assembler had to provide a special opcode:

	MyLabel bss 500

that defined "MyLabel" as a "block started by symbol" and "MyLabel" was
addressed as the first location in the memory area.  There was also a "BES" that
was "block ended by symbol":

	MyLabel bes 500

that assigned "MyLabel" to the last (last + 1? I don't remember) location of the
block.

Thank goodness that everything is not a special case these days.

Cheers!

---------------------------------------------+-----------------------------
Tommy Reynolds                               | mailto: <reynolds@redhat.com>
Red Hat, Inc., Embedded Development Services | Phone:  +1.256.704.9286
307 Wynn Drive NW, Huntsville, AL 35805 USA  | FAX:    +1.256.837.3839
Senior Software Developer                    | Mobile: +1.919.641.2923

* Re: [ECOS] compile error when using newer version ecos configurat ion tool
@ 2001-11-07  9:37         ` Andrew Xiang
From: Andrew Xiang @ 2001-11-07  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: eCos

I am running ecos on assabet.
I have redboot running, I compiled the simple printf("hello"); program
accroding to the manual.
and try to run it on both gdb and download to board, I don't see the
hello get printed?
Also tried the twothreads.c with no luck.

Since I have the console through the serial port, do I have to tell it
to print to the serial port?
What am I doing wrong?

thanks
Andrew

* [ECOS] printf does not work, why?
@ 2001-11-07  9:44           ` Andrew Xiang
From: Andrew Xiang @ 2001-11-07  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: eCos

@ 2001-11-07 15:51         ` Richard Panton
From: Richard Panton @ 2001-11-07 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Doyle; +Cc: Chris Gray, eCos

> > My favourite ASM/360 instruction was the one to set memory to BCD
> > zero: Zero and Add Packed, it was called. :)
> >
> I used to work with the TMS32020 DSP from TI (about 15 years ago).  My
> favorite instruction on that processor was the XOR with a Konstant
> instruction... spelled XORK :-)

And of course, the wonderful 6809 processor, the only time I've seen the
(S)ign (EX)tend op-code with a truely memorable mnemonic:
   http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/heights/1681/6809.HTM >;-)

* RE: [ECOS] compile error when using newer version ecos configurat ion tool
@ 2001-11-04 21:14 Jeremias, Thilo
From: Jeremias, Thilo @ 2001-11-04 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Trenton D. Adams', 'J. J. Farrell'
  Cc: 'Andrew Lunn', 'eCos'

I think, ANSI-C, specifies that ALL non automatic vars, are implicitly
initialised to zero (that's BSS).
Automatic var s like (locals) contain garbage!

It's probably a religious discussion wether this is good or bad,
but IMHO I would always explicitly initialise anything I use.

From: Fabrice Gautier @ 2001-11-01 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Andrew Lunn'; +Cc: eCos