* [ECOS] [Fwd: question about tools]
@ 2000-01-27  0:47 Roman
From: Roman @ 2000-01-27  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

* Re: [ECOS] [Fwd: question about tools]
@ 2000-01-27  3:46 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2000-01-27  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman; +Cc: ecos-discuss

>Hi,
>i want to build a eCos System for my SA 1100 based ARM Board, with
>RedHat Host PC. (And later for my SH1 and SH2 boards also). But at the
>moment i have a lot of trouble by building. My Questions are:
>1. Can i use the egcs 1.1.2 compiler (arm-linux-gcc with elf output),
>which i used to generate a runninng linux kernel for the brutus board?
>Before i can do this,  i have to change the file "pack....mak". But this
>not all. Some compiler and linker directives i have to change also. It
>is possible to build my own toolchain with the normal compiler and
>linker sources? Which is the target name for 'configure'? If i use
>arm-elf, i get 'arm-linux' (which can also produce elf output format).

configure --target=arm-elf

If that doesn't work the compiler probably doesn't have the necessary
support. I think the FAQ lists the minimum required compiler version -
I don't remember it off-hand.

>2. My linker don't know the option 'KEEP' within the linker script?

Then you need a newer version of the linker as well.

>3. Is there any eCos for Hitachi SH1 or SH2 available, and how can i
>generate the toolchain?

No. There's only support for SH3 at the moment.  SH2 should be
possible to add support for, but SH1 will be a problem since there's
no g++ support for it (and as far as I know, no planned support for it
- which is a shame since I'd like to see eCos run on my brother's
LEGO MindStorm :)

Also, the SH3 support is only available in the early access program.

Jesper

* Re: [ECOS] [Fwd: question about tools]
@ 2000-01-27  7:13 ` John M. Mills
From: John M. Mills @ 2000-01-27  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman; +Cc: ecos-discuss

From: Roman <RomanJordan@gmx.de>

RJ- 3. Is there any eCos for Hitachi SH1 or SH2 available, and how can i
RJ- generate the toolchain?

When I last asked, eCos for SH* was in the "Early Access" program; we
couldn't afford it. That was 7 months ago and it hasn't yet appeared in
public eCos distributions (AFAIK - corrections welcomed).

I built eCosSWtools for 'sh-hms-' with no problems and the basics worked
fine. (I received some comments to the effect of problems with C++
destructors.) In my setup (Hitachi debugger), 'coff' is a much better
format choice than 'elf', but you can try both and see.

The RTEMS project has an SH-* toolset based on gcc-2.95.2/newlib-1.8.2
with Linux RPMs available. I didn't try it for eCos, but you may wish to.

There is an SH-1 port of RTEMS with a demo BSP, and one is developing for
the SH-2. If you are developing in WinNT, eCos is a much better match than
RTEMS, but if you use some flavor of *nix, you might look at both for
functionality, maturity, BSP availability, footprint, etc, depending on
your needs.

Regards,

  John Mills, Sr. Software Engineer
  TGA Technologies, Inc.
  100 Pinnacle Way, Suite 140
  Norcross, GA 30071-3633
  e-mail: jmills@tga.com
  Phone: 770-441-2100 ext.124 (voice)
         770-449-7740 (FAX)

* Re: [ECOS] [Fwd: question about tools]
@ 2000-01-27  8:01   ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2000-01-27  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman; +Cc: ecos-discuss

>> 3. Is there any eCos for Hitachi SH1 or SH2 available, and how can
>> i generate the toolchain?

Jesper> No. There's only support for SH3 at the moment.  SH2 should be
Jesper> possible to add support for, but SH1 will be a problem since
Jesper> there's no g++ support for it (and as far as I know, no
Jesper> planned support for it - which is a shame since I'd like to
Jesper> see eCos run on my brother's LEGO MindStorm :)

Ah, I was wrong. The MindStorm has a H8 CPU (for which there is no g++
port). SH1 is probably supported by g++ then, but there is no eCos
support.

Jesper