* RE: [ECOS] FW: GDB Stub and Redboot
@ 2000-12-06 10:41 Anthony Massa
From: Anthony Massa @ 2000-12-06 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Gary Thomas'; +Cc: Jonathan Larmour (E-mail), eCos (E-mail)

Does this redboot network stack support DHCP?

Is it configurable to use static IP addresses as well?

@ 2000-12-06 11:15 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2000-12-06 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Massa; +Cc: eCos (E-mail), Jonathan Larmour (E-mail)

On 06-Dec-2000 Anthony Massa wrote:

> Does this redboot network stack support DHCP?

BOOTP only.

> Is it configurable to use static IP addresses as well?

Yes, using the 'fconfig' command, you can set static IP addresses.
N.B. you do need to have the FLASH memory stuff turned on for this
support to be in place.

@ 2000-12-06 13:19 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-12-06 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Massa; +Cc: eCos (E-mail)

Anthony Massa wrote:

> I know this might be the wrong list for this question, but...
>
> I'm not using 1.1.6.  Do I just download the new setup.exe and run that to
> upgrade to cygwin 1.1.6?

Yes. In fact you should probably be able to use the existing setup.exe from
the last install.

> Do I need to rebuild anything from ecos after I upgrade to 1.1.6?

No.

> What is the TFTP server program called and where can I find documentation on
> the installation work to set it up you mentioned?

It appears I may have been mistaken. /usr/sbin/in.tftpd.exe exists (which
would be started from inetd). But the documentation on setting up inetd in
/usr/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README says that it is not working yet:

What is not yet working?
========================

  rexecd        Invalid handle error
  tftp          Permission errors
  tftpd         Permission errors

Perhaps ask on the cygwin list. Or since it's open source, feel free to fix
it :). Otherwise you will have to find a tftp server from elsewhere, sorry.
Or use a different host OS. Or continue to use serial downloading, but that
rather removes the biggest plus of ethernet support.

Jifl

* RE: [ECOS] FW: GDB Stub and Redboot
@ 2000-12-06 13:06 Anthony Massa
From: Anthony Massa @ 2000-12-06 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jonathan Larmour'; +Cc: eCos (E-mail)

@ 2000-12-06 12:27 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-12-06 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Massa; +Cc: eCos (E-mail)

@ 2000-12-06 12:09 Anthony Massa
From: Anthony Massa @ 2000-12-06 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jonathan Larmour'; +Cc: eCos (E-mail)

@ 2000-12-06 11:43 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-12-06 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Massa; +Cc: eCos (E-mail)

@ 2000-12-06 10:36 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2000-12-06 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Massa; +Cc: Jonathan Larmour (E-mail), eCos (E-mail)

@ 2000-12-06 10:28 Anthony Massa
From: Anthony Massa @ 2000-12-06 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Gary Thomas'; +Cc: eCos (E-mail), Jonathan Larmour (E-mail)

@ 2000-12-06 10:13 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2000-12-06 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Massa; +Cc: eCos (E-mail)

On 06-Dec-2000 Anthony Massa wrote:

> Additional questions inline...
>
>> > I want to be able to have GDB access to my MBX board to use
>> the debugger.  I
>> > would like to connect to the
>> > board using the Ethernet port so I can have the serial port
>> available for my
>> > own I/O.  Do I build the GDB stub
>> > and add the redboot package or is it an either or type of thing?
>>
>> It's sort of an either or thing. Redboot includes a GDB stub.
>>
>> > If it is a choice of either redboot or GDB, what packages
>> do I need to add
>> > for networking support under GDB?
>> >
>> > What additional packages do I need to add for networking
>> support in redboot?
>>
>> You should be able to get what you want either by just installing the
>> prebuilt images, or:
>>
>> ecosconfig new mbx redboot
>> ecosconfig import
>> PATHTOREPOSITORY/hal/powerpc/mbx/current/misc/redboot_ROM.cfg
>> ecosconfig tree
>> make
>
> I haven't used ecosconfig before.  I use the Windows config tool.  So, for
> this would I just select the redboot template?
>

> Are there any other options or packages that I need to add?
>

> Will networking support be added to communicate with redboot via Ethernet?

You'll need to use the RedBoot template and then add
  'Generic FLASH memory support'
  'Common ethernet support'
Also, be sure and set the startup type to ROM (it won't default that way)

* [ECOS] FW: GDB Stub and Redboot
@ 2000-12-06  9:42 Anthony Massa
From: Anthony Massa @ 2000-12-06  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos (E-mail)

Additional questions inline...

> > I want to be able to have GDB access to my MBX board to use
> the debugger.  I
> > would like to connect to the
> > board using the Ethernet port so I can have the serial port
> available for my
> > own I/O.  Do I build the GDB stub
> > and add the redboot package or is it an either or type of thing?
>
> It's sort of an either or thing. Redboot includes a GDB stub.
>
> > If it is a choice of either redboot or GDB, what packages
> do I need to add
> > for networking support under GDB?
> >
> > What additional packages do I need to add for networking
> support in redboot?
>
> You should be able to get what you want either by just installing the
> prebuilt images, or:
>
> ecosconfig new mbx redboot
> ecosconfig import
> PATHTOREPOSITORY/hal/powerpc/mbx/current/misc/redboot_ROM.cfg
> ecosconfig tree
> make

I haven't used ecosconfig before.  I use the Windows config tool.  So, for
this would I just select the redboot template?

Are there any other options or packages that I need to add?

Will networking support be added to communicate with redboot via Ethernet?

Thanks.