* [ECOS] Unable to load srec files via serial port
@ 2001-07-24  7:36 Mynampati, Venkata S.
From: Mynampati, Venkata S. @ 2001-07-24  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,
I am trying to load vmlinux.srec file, using
x/yModem(tried both) but it fails after transfering
about 1MB. I keep getting 'no response from remote host'
every time.
However i can transfer small files of size 500K.

i use this command "load -m ymodem -r -b 0xa1000000".
Is there any size limitation for x/y modem upload?

Rgds
Venkat Mynampati

* RE: [ECOS] Unable to load srec files via serial port
@ 2001-07-24  7:48 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-07-24  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mynampati, Venkata S.; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On 24-Jul-2001 Mynampati, Venkata S. wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to load vmlinux.srec file, using
> x/yModem(tried both) but it fails after transfering
> about 1MB. I keep getting 'no response from remote host'
> every time.
> However i can transfer small files of size 500K.
>
> i use this command "load -m ymodem -r -b 0xa1000000".
> Is there any size limitation for x/y modem upload?

If this is a Motorola S-record file, you probably do not want "-r"

If it fails for large files, perhaps you are running out of memory.
What does "RedBoot> version" display?

* RE: [ECOS] Unable to load srec files via serial port
@ 2001-07-24 16:21 Mynampati, Venkata S.
From: Mynampati, Venkata S. @ 2001-07-24 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Gary Thomas'; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> >> If this is a Motorola S-record file, you probably do not want "-r"
> >>
> >> If it fails for large files, perhaps you are running out of memory.
 i stopped using '-r' while uploading for SREC files, but still
 after about 1147K, the transfer stops. Windows's Hyper terminal's
 'send file' window displays 'no response from remote system'.
 The interesting thing is, i used visionclick's probe to peep into
 RAM areas. What i found is like this:
 ram locations starting from 0xa0308000 to 0xa037138A are good,
 i.e they correspond to vmlinux.srec file's contents, but location
 0xa037138b onwards it is zero.
 Also, RedBoot hangs after this upload fails, but if i cancel upload,
 RedBoot works.

 I think, the upload process uses some RAM locations which i am
 overwriting.is this true ? have you seen this behaviour? what is
 happening here and how to over come it? or is there anything i
 missed.

 Your help is appreciated.

 Regards
Venkat

* RE: [ECOS] Unable to load srec files via serial port
@ 2001-07-24 10:01 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-07-24 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mynampati, Venkata S.; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On 24-Jul-2001 Mynampati, Venkata S. wrote:

>> > i use this command "load -m ymodem -r -b 0xa1000000".
>> > Is there any size limitation for x/y modem upload?
>>
>> If this is a Motorola S-record file, you probably do not want "-r"
>>
>> If it fails for large files, perhaps you are running out of memory.
>> What does "RedBoot> version" display?
>
>   RedBoot> version displays:
>    RedBoot(tm) ... env - built July 16 2001
>    Platform: IQ80310(XSCALE)
>    RAM: 0xa0000000-0xa2000000, 0xa0011450-0xa1fd0000
>
>    I have plenty of memory.i stopped using '-r' option.
>
>    All i want to do is:
>     copy boot/compressed/vmlinux image into flash and
>     run 'fis load vmlinux'.
>     Now, i am able to do that just with vmlinux, but,
>     'fis load vmlinux' gives me an error with file format
>     something like 'file not executable'. That's when i decided

You probably get this error because you did not use the "-r XXX" option to
'fix create'.  If you don't use this option, 'fis' does not know where in
memory to load your image.  Alternatively, you could 'fis load vmlinux -b XXX'

If you provide the _exact_ output of what you try, we can possibly help more.

@ 2001-07-24  9:45 Mynampati, Venkata S.
From: Mynampati, Venkata S. @ 2001-07-24  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Gary Thomas'; +Cc: ecos-discuss