* Re: [ECOS] RedBoot Problems!
@ 2001-07-25  3:07 Chris C.
From: Chris C. @ 2001-07-25  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jskov; +Cc: ecos-discuss

-----Original Message-----
From: Jesper Skov <jskov@cambridge.redhat.com>
Date: 25 Jul 2001 10:14:03 +0200
To: "Chris C." <phchang@programmer.net>
Subject: Re: [ECOS] RedBoot Problems!

> Chris> Hi Here are some questions I want to ask:
>
> Chris> 1. I have updated the latest version of repository and selected
> Chris> the redboot template (PID platform) to build the redboot but
> Chris> some errors occured. I haven''t change anything.
>
> Did you import the redboot_R[AO]M.ecm file?

Why need to import the redboot_R[AO]M.ecm file? I found that there are two files, so which file I need to import or import both of them?

> Chris> 2. Can I just update some sources or packages from the
> Chris> anonymous CVS repository and use them with the other sources or
> Chris> packages [v1.3.1]?
>
> No.
>
> Chris> 3. I knew that redhat will release a platform HAL for AT91EB40,
> Chris> shall I modifiy the sources in the redboot package so that it
> Chris> can port to the AT91EB40?
>
> No, that will already have been done.

If I want to port the reboot to the AT91EB40, do I need to write the ecm files [ram and rom] for AT91EB40?

If I select another template [not redboot], do I need to write the ecm files?

I don't know how to write the ecm file, where can I find some reference materials.

> Jesper

If I want to download a testing program to the target board via gdb stub [rom startup], do I need the flash programmming tool?

Thanks! :D

--

Chris

FREE Personalized E-mail at Mail.com
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

* Re: [ECOS] RedBoot Problems!
@ 2001-07-25  3:21 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2001-07-25  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris C.; +Cc: jskov, ecos-discuss

Chris> 1. I have updated the latest version of repository and selected
Chris> the redboot template (PID platform) to build the redboot but
Chris> some errors occured. I haven''t change anything.
>>  Did you import the redboot_R[AO]M.ecm file?

Chris> Why need to import the redboot_R[AO]M.ecm file? I found that
Chris> there are two files, so which file I need to import or import
Chris> both of them?

For RAM startup import _RAM.ecm, for ROM startup import _ROM.ecm. They
set some additional parameters not set by the template.

Chris> 3. I knew that redhat will release a platform HAL for AT91EB40,
Chris> shall I modifiy the sources in the redboot package so that it
Chris> can port to the AT91EB40?
>>  No, that will already have been done.

Chris> If I want to port the reboot to the AT91EB40, do I need to
Chris> write the ecm files [ram and rom] for AT91EB40?

Yes - but as I said, have patience: there'll be released a RedBoot
port for AT91EB40 in a week or so.

Chris> If I select another template [not redboot], do I need to write
Chris> the ecm files?

No.

Chris> I don't know how to write the ecm file, where can I find some
Chris> reference materials.

.ecm files are just configuration settings. They are created using the
ecosconfig export option (and similar, if existant, in the graphical
configuration tool).

Chris> If I want to download a testing program to the target board via
Chris> gdb stub [rom startup], do I need the flash programmming tool?

Don't know if it's needed to put RedBoot in flash, or if there's
already a board monitor there. Wait for the RedBoot release - it'll
have documentation for getting started.

Jesper

* Re: [ECOS] RedBoot Problems!
@ 2001-07-25  5:29   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-07-25  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesper Skov; +Cc: ecos-discuss, Chris C.

On 25-Jul-2001 Jesper Skov wrote:
> Chris> If I want to download a testing program to the target board via
> Chris> gdb stub [rom startup], do I need the flash programmming tool?
>
> Don't know if it's needed to put RedBoot in flash, or if there's
> already a board monitor there. Wait for the RedBoot release - it'll
> have documentation for getting started.

RedBoot on the EB40 uses one half of the on-board flash (Angel is left
in the other).  No flash software is required.

After RedBoot is installed, you have a complete environment running
from flash (RedBoot) and the ability to download and run code (either
directly from RedBoot or using GDB).

* RE: [ECOS] RedBoot Problems!
@ 2001-07-30  7:20 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-07-30  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris C.; +Cc: regsoft, ecos-discuss

On 30-Jul-2001 Chris C. wrote:
> Hi
>
> Here are some questions I want to ask:
>
> 1. I have selected the redboot template in the config. tool and then I select ROM startup, import
> all the necessary packages, without changing the redboot default setting, debug serial port and
> diagnostic serial port are same (0). After that, I generated the bin file and download to the
> target board and use the hyper terminal to connect the target board. I saw a string like this
> -&gt; $T0540:fff05cd8;01:00004664;#92 and I can use the gdb to connect the target board and
> display the value of the registers. My problem is that I didn't see the &quot;Redboot&gt;&quot;
> at the hyper terminal [com1 and com2], so what is the problem?

This means that RedBoot crashed during it's initialization.  Obviously a lot got
running, hence GDB being able to run.

In order to help more, you'll have to tell us:
  What platform (architecture, board)?
  What tools did you use to build with?
  What extra options (if any) you selected?

> 2. Which one is the redboot used to communicate with hyper terminal?
> The device driver in packages\devs\serial or the function in hal_diag.c

RedBoot only uses the HAL diag I/O routines.

BTW - exclamatories(!) in the subject will often send your message directly
to the "round file", especially mine :-)

* [ECOS] RedBoot Problems!
@ 2001-07-30  7:10 Chris C.
From: Chris C. @ 2001-07-30  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: regsoft

@ 2001-07-25  1:14 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2001-07-25  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris C.; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2001-07-24 22:12 Chris C.
From: Chris C. @ 2001-07-24 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi

Here are some questions I want to ask:

1. I have updated the latest version of repository and selected the redboot template (PID platform) to build the redboot but some errors occured. I haven''t change anything.

2. Can I just update some sources or packages from the anonymous CVS repository and use them with the other sources or packages [v1.3.1]?

3. I knew that redhat will  release a platform HAL for AT91EB40, shall I modifiy the sources in the redboot package so that it can port to the AT91EB40?