* [ECOS] Redboot and printf
@ 2001-08-17  1:33 Bill Diehls
From: Bill Diehls @ 2001-08-17  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,
One thing I noticed for the PID platform, is that when
I build Redboot, it links two copies of printf -- one
in  the libc package (printf.cxx) and one in the
redboot package (printf.c).  I didn't realize this,
but it seems that ld will pick the first symbol it
finds instead of reporting an error.  In my case, it
is picking the libc implementation.  It seems that it
should be picking the reboot implementation.  If it
should, perhaps there is a configuration problem on my
end?  I'm wondering because I'm trying to port Redboot
to another ARM7 platform and it is unclear which is
correct.

thanks,
--bill

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

* Re: [ECOS] Redboot and printf
@ 2001-08-17  2:54 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2001-08-17  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Diehls; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Bill> Hello, One thing I noticed for the PID platform, is that when I
Bill> build Redboot, it links two copies of printf -- one in the libc
Bill> package (printf.cxx) and one in the redboot package (printf.c).
Bill> I didn't realize this, but it seems that ld will pick the first
Bill> symbol it finds instead of reporting an error.  In my case, it
Bill> is picking the libc implementation.  It seems that it should be
Bill> picking the reboot implementation.  If it should, perhaps there
Bill> is a configuration problem on my end?  I'm wondering because I'm
Bill> trying to port Redboot to another ARM7 platform and it is
Bill> unclear which is correct.

Think of RedBoot as an eCos application that's providing its own
implementation of printf. It does not need libc, so you should not
have that package included.

When you prepare a RedBoot build tree, do it like this:

 ecosconfig new <target> redboot

Not by starting from the default template and adding the redboot
package.

Jesper

* RE: [ECOS] Redboot and printf
@ 2001-08-17  5:30 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-08-17  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Diehls; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On 17-Aug-2001 Bill Diehls wrote:
> Hello,
> One thing I noticed for the PID platform, is that when
> I build Redboot, it links two copies of printf -- one
> in  the libc package (printf.cxx) and one in the
> redboot package (printf.c).  I didn't realize this,
> but it seems that ld will pick the first symbol it
> finds instead of reporting an error.  In my case, it
> is picking the libc implementation.  It seems that it
> should be picking the reboot implementation.  If it
> should, perhaps there is a configuration problem on my
> end?  I'm wondering because I'm trying to port Redboot
> to another ARM7 platform and it is unclear which is
> correct.

RedBoot should never be built with the LIBC package included.

Look at the RedBoot docmentation to see how to build it for
various platforms.  If you are porting to a new architecture
or platform variant, use existing examples as your guide.