* [ECOS] Re: How to run ECO 3.0 on STM32
       [not found] <ab2643f10907271051r1b7d3be7x842a851c672a8456@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-07-29 17:38 ` kishore Srimat
From: kishore Srimat @ 2009-07-29 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi All,

I am trying to port Ecos 3.0 onto STM32. I have done the preliminary
steps. Now, I tried use configtool and buid a Redboot.bin. But, I
could not resolve the conflicts and even if i continue with proposed
solutions and get a .bin from configtool, It is not working or I did
not see any msg in the Hyperterminal when i run.

Could anyone share  .bin or/and .ecc directory to me. And also can you
give me some idea how to build the redboot successfully. I tried to
read the docs but, they are all pretty generic could not find how to
resolve conflicts for STM32. If you know any website or docs for Ecos
for STM32 can you please point out as well.

I know i have asked lot of questions, But your knowledge would help me greatly.

Thanks
Kishore Srimat

* [ECOS] Re: How to run ECO 3.0 on STM32
@ 2009-07-29 19:42   ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2009-07-29 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kishore Srimat; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Kishore

Kishore Srimat wrote:

> I am trying to port Ecos 3.0 onto STM32.

Which board are you porting to? Is this a public evaluation board or a
board of your own design?

> I have done the preliminary
> steps. Now, I tried use configtool and buid a Redboot.bin. But, I
> could not resolve the conflicts and even if i continue with proposed
> solutions and get a .bin from configtool, It is not working or I did
> not see any msg in the Hyperterminal when i run.

The basic procedure is to create a new eCos configuration for your
intended hardware based on the "redboot" packages template. Then import
the appropriate RedBoot .ecm file from the "misc" directory of the
relevant eCos platform HAL package. For example, the relevant .ecm file
for the STM3210E-EVAL board would be:

 packages/hal/cortexm/stm32/stm3210e_eval/v3_0/misc/redboot_ROM.ecm

Use the Build->Templates dialog to select the hardware and packages
templates and then import the .ecm file using the File->Import menu item
before you attempt to resolve any conflicts.

I hope this helps...

John Dallaway

* [ECOS] Re: How to run ECO 3.0 on STM32
@ 2009-07-29 21:33     ` kishore Srimat
From: kishore Srimat @ 2009-07-29 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi John,

Thanks for showing the direction to move. I am using ST's
STM3210E-Eval board Rev-D.

I did try to do as you told.
1) Build--> Template  and selected STM32 EVAL and packages--> Redboot.
But once i select that i got conflicts and i did cancel the conflicts
and did the second step
2) File--> import and from the path you have mentioned. and imported
and built the library and flashed  the .bin into the STM32Eval but did
not see anything in the serial port :(

I have noticed that the this option in the configuration "Base address
of flash device redboot is use  == 0x64000000"   but when i see the
memory map of STM32 it is shown as 0x08000000 for the FLASH

But if i change it base address and build the library it is building
with errors and if i leave it as is at 0x64000000 it is a FSMC BANK 1
Nor/PSRAM base address. I think it is not that correct base address to
start with.

Regards
Kishore Srimat

@ 2009-07-30  8:17       ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2009-07-30  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kishore Srimat; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Kishore

Kishore Srimat wrote:

> Thanks for showing the direction to move. I am using ST's
> STM3210E-Eval board Rev-D.
>
> I did try to do as you told.
> 1) Build--> Template  and selected STM32 EVAL and packages--> Redboot.
> But once i select that i got conflicts and i did cancel the conflicts
> and did the second step
> 2) File--> import and from the path you have mentioned. and imported
> and built the library and flashed  the .bin into the STM32Eval but did
> not see anything in the serial port :(
>
> I have noticed that the this option in the configuration "Base address
> of flash device redboot is use  == 0x64000000"   but when i see the
> memory map of STM32 it is shown as 0x08000000 for the FLASH
>
> But if i change it base address and build the library it is building
> with errors and if i leave it as is at 0x64000000 it is a FSMC BANK 1
> Nor/PSRAM base address. I think it is not that correct base address to
> start with.

For STM3210E-EVAL, RedBoot is installed to the internal Flash at
0x08000000. The CYGNUM_REDBOOT_FLASH_BASE option to which you refer
describes the location of Flash memory to be managed by the RedBoot
flash image system. Once you have RedBoot installed, you should be able
to download images and write them to the external NOR Flash located at
0x64000000 from the RedBoot prompt.

Check your terminal emulator settings (38400, 8N1, no handshaking) and
try both serial ports.

John Dallaway

* [ECOS] Re: How to run ECO 3.0 on STM32
@ 2009-07-30 22:55         ` kishore Srimat
From: kishore Srimat @ 2009-07-30 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi John,

Thank you very much, Finally i could run Reboot.bin. I figured that I
need to change the  ecos HAL->Cortex-M Architecture->Cortex-M3 STm32
Variant->STM32 Eval Development Board HAL->Startup type= "ROM"

I need to change the startup type to "ROM" then it works. Default
value was RAM i guess. I could see the Redboot prompt in the serial
port.

Now I am trying to run Ecos, what is the easiest way to run Ecos ? I
got Keil and IAR debuggers and also Amontec debugger.

I have added applications  using Keil and IAR debugger into STM32. I
want to add these applications into Ecos aswell.

For example, I have HTTP server running  on STM32 with lwIP1.3.0. Now,
I know that Ecos does not provide lwIP 1.3.0. I have seen Simon
implemented lwIP 1.3.0 for Ecos, I could use that. before that I want
to first familiarize with Ecos environment by running different
examples. Please show me the direction what is the best path to reach
this goal.

Thanks
Kishore Srimat
Kishore

@ 2009-07-31  8:27           ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2009-07-31  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kishore Srimat; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Kishore

Kishore Srimat wrote:

> Thank you very much, Finally i could run Reboot.bin. I figured that I
> need to change the  ecos HAL->Cortex-M Architecture->Cortex-M3 STm32
> Variant->STM32 Eval Development Board HAL->Startup type= "ROM"

This change should occur when you import the redboot_ROM.ecm file.

> Now I am trying to run Ecos, what is the easiest way to run Ecos ?

For _application_ development, using the GDB stub in RedBoot is usually
the best route because it provides thread-aware debugging. Configure and
build another version of eCos for RAM startup. Use the "default"
template rather than the "redboot" template. Link your application
object code with eCos in the way shown in the examples makefile at:

  /opt/ecos/ecos-3.0/examples/makefile

Then download and run your code as follows:

  $ arm-eabi-gdb -b 38400 my_application_ELF_file
  (gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS0
  (gdb) load
  (gdb) continue

> For example, I have HTTP server running  on STM32 with lwIP1.3.0. Now,
> I know that Ecos does not provide lwIP 1.3.0. I have seen Simon
> implemented lwIP 1.3.0 for Ecos, I could use that. before that I want
> to first familiarize with Ecos environment by running different
> examples.

Once you have built eCos for RAM startup, you can build some examples:

  cd /opt/ecos/ecos-3.0/examples
  make INSTALL_DIR=/path/to/your/ecos-RAM-startup/install

John Dallaway

* [ECOS] Re: How to run ECO 3.0 on STM32
@ 2009-08-01  0:24             ` kishore Srimat
From: kishore Srimat @ 2009-08-01  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi John,

I have done all the steps you have suggested except this:

"Linking your application object code with eCos in the way shown in
the examples makefile at:"
/opt/ecos/ecos-3.0/examples/makefile

I could run the Build--> Tests

And in Tools--> Runtests the last test is specific to STM32 which is "Timers"

I ran with  this
$ arm-eabi-gdb -b 38400 my_application_ELF_file
 (gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS0
 (gdb) load
 (gdb) continue
as you told. Even through I could run all the commands the example is
not doing any thing.
How should I add the hello.c and other examples in to the configtool
so that it builds for a user ?

If I cannot add the examples from the user how should I link them to the App.

I tried to do it by you suggestions still no luck.

Can you please be little more detailed about it.

Thanks
Kishore Srimat

@ 2009-08-03 22:05             ` kishore Srimat
From: kishore Srimat @ 2009-08-03 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi John,

With try and error i got the elf for the examples.

I tried to run with gdb but i constantly getting this error "Program
recieved signal  SIGBUS, bus error". And some times it freezes at the
"Continuing".
I tried to reset the board as it was suggested before running the
example but no use. Any thoughts people ? Does anybody seen similar
error ?

Thanks
Kishore

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 1:26 AM, John Dallaway<john@dallaway.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi Kishore
>
> Kishore Srimat wrote:
>
>> Thank you very much, Finally i could run Reboot.bin. I figured that I
>> need to change the  ecos HAL->Cortex-M Architecture->Cortex-M3 STm32
>> Variant->STM32 Eval Development Board HAL->Startup type= "ROM"
>
> This change should occur when you import the redboot_ROM.ecm file.
>
>> Now I am trying to run Ecos, what is the easiest way to run Ecos ?
>
> For _application_ development, using the GDB stub in RedBoot is usually
> the best route because it provides thread-aware debugging. Configure and
> build another version of eCos for RAM startup. Use the "default"
> template rather than the "redboot" template. Link your application
> object code with eCos in the way shown in the examples makefile at:
>
>  /opt/ecos/ecos-3.0/examples/makefile
>
> Then download and run your code as follows:
>
>  $ arm-eabi-gdb -b 38400 my_application_ELF_file
>  (gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS0
>  (gdb) load
>  (gdb) continue
>
>> For example, I have HTTP server running  on STM32 with lwIP1.3.0. Now,
>> I know that Ecos does not provide lwIP 1.3.0. I have seen Simon
>> implemented lwIP 1.3.0 for Ecos, I could use that. before that I want
>> to first familiarize with Ecos environment by running different
>> examples.
>
> Once you have built eCos for RAM startup, you can build some examples:
>
>  cd /opt/ecos/ecos-3.0/examples
>  make INSTALL_DIR=/path/to/your/ecos-RAM-startup/install
>
> John Dallaway

* Re: [ECOS] Re: How to run ECO 3.0 on STM32
@ 2009-08-04 11:54               ` Chris Holgate
From: Chris Holgate @ 2009-08-04 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kishore Srimat; +Cc: John Dallaway, ecos-discuss

Hi Kishore,

kishore Srimat wrote:

> I tried to run with gdb but i constantly getting this error "Program
> recieved signal  SIGBUS, bus error". And some times it freezes at the
> "Continuing".

Generally speaking, you should interpret the SIGBUS error the same way
as a UNIX segmentation fault - ie, you're trying to read or write to an
area of memory which is not there.

There is an extra quirk with the STM32 in that you can see similar
errors if the DMA controller attempts to access off-chip memory.  You
will see this if you are doing a default RAM based build and enabling
the SPI drivers without specifying a suitable DMA bounce buffer.

> I tried to reset the board as it was suggested before running the
> example but no use. Any thoughts people ? Does anybody seen similar
> error ?

If it's not the SPI driver / DMA controller causing the error then the
chances are it's a null pointer dereference or similar bug in your
application.  Try setting a breakpoint on cyg_user_start and take it
from there.

Chris.

* Re: [ECOS] Re: How to run ECO 3.0 on STM32
@ 2009-08-05 22:22                 ` kishore Srimat
From: kishore Srimat @ 2009-08-05 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Holgate; +Cc: John Dallaway, ecos-discuss

Hi John and Chris,

Thanks guys, I am really thankful to you. John, thanks for being so
patient in answering my dumb questions. I could run the test examples
successfully.
I am not still out of questions yet :)

Well I would like to know the way to add Simon's lwIP 1.3.0 which i
downloaded. Is there a procedure to take out the old lwIP and add the
new Simon's lwIP ?

I see the lwIP folder and also a ecos database file. So I thought its
a good idea to ask ecos experts here.

My goal is to run the Raw HTTP server example using lwIP 1.3.0(Simon's port).

Best Regards
Kishore Srimat

@ 2009-08-06  8:13                   ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2009-08-06  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kishore Srimat; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Kishore

Kishore Srimat wrote:

> Well I would like to know the way to add Simon's lwIP 1.3.0 which i
> downloaded. Is there a procedure to take out the old lwIP and add the
> new Simon's lwIP ?
>
> I see the lwIP folder and also a ecos database file. So I thought its
> a good idea to ask ecos experts here.

  cd /tmp
  tar zxf lwip-20090722.tar.gz
  cp -r lwip/packages/net/lwip_tcpip/current \
    /opt/ecos/ecos-3.0/packages/net/lwip_tcpip

You will now have two versions of the lwIP TCP/IP stack in your
repository: "v3_0" and "current". You do not need to modify ecos.db.

When you create new eCos configurations, the eCos host tools will use
the "current" version by default.

@ 2009-08-10 21:17                     ` kishore Srimat
From: kishore Srimat @ 2009-08-10 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi John,

Thank you, Yes I could make with Simon's lwIP stack.

I know that I need to have ethernet interface for specific
ethernet hardware.

In /current/src/netif/ethernetif.c is the file which I need to
change.to conncet stack with harware.
with that I have some other .c and .h file which need to compile for
ethernet daughter board.

So can i directly replace the file ethernetif.c with my ethernetif.c ?
and where should i add my ethernet hardware specific files and where
should i compile all of them.

I am using GDB gui.

I do have ethernetif.c with the ethernet hardware specific files and
they r working with FreeRTOS so I just need to use same files and
connect them to ecos.

I am almost there in getting my target run.

Best regards
Kishore