* [ECOS] LPC2106 iar kickstart eval board port
@ 2007-06-13 16:02 Alexandre
From: Alexandre @ 2007-06-13 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi everybody,

I found some info on this mailing list about people running ecos on that board.

I tried for the last 2 weeks to do so but am not able to get a
footprint smaller than approx 200k, which i cannot even try because
the chip integrated rom size is inferior than that.

Would some of you have pieces of advice, maybe experience on how to
build a small ecos to port on that target ?

Thank you very much in advance!

Alex Garcia

* Re: [ECOS] LPC2106 iar kickstart eval board port
@ 2007-06-13 16:30 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2007-06-13 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 04:12:48PM +0200, Alexandre wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I found some info on this mailing list about people running ecos on that
> board.
>
> I tried for the last 2 weeks to do so but am not able to get a
> footprint smaller than approx 200k, which i cannot even try because
> the chip integrated rom size is inferior than that.

I presume you are looking at the size of the binary and not the elf...

Which template are you using? What features does your application
need?

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] LPC2106 iar kickstart eval board port
@ 2007-06-13 18:07   ` Alexandre
From: Alexandre @ 2007-06-13 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre, ecos-discuss

Well i tried to use the minimal and default settings.
I need thread management, serial drivers, and basic i/o management.
I use the command : arm-elf-objcopy -O ihex file.elf file.hex to make
my footprint.
The binary is almost 500k large and the resultant elf weight between
150k and 250k.

* Re: [ECOS] LPC2106 iar kickstart eval board port
@ 2007-06-14 15:14     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2007-06-14 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 05:44:00PM +0200, Alexandre wrote:
> Well i tried to use the minimal and default settings.
> I need thread management, serial drivers, and basic i/o management.
> I use the command : arm-elf-objcopy -O ihex file.elf file.hex to make
> my footprint.

ihex is an ASCII format of "binary", so you cannot just look at the
file size.

A much better way to get an idea of the footprint is arm-elf-size.

lunn@londo:~/eCos/work$ ecosconfig new at91sam7xek minimalU CYGHWR_HAL_ARM_AT91SAM7, new inferred value at91sam7x256
U CYGHWR_HAL_ARM_AT91, new inferred value AT91SAM7S
U CYGHWR_HAL_ARM_AT91_FIQ, new inferred value 1
lunn@londo:~/eCos/work$ ecosconfig tree
lunn@londo:~/eCos/work$ make -s
headers finished
build finished
lunn@londo:~/eCos/work$ make -s tests
headers finished
build finished
tests finished
lunn@londo:~/eCos/work$ arm-elf-size install/tests/hal/common/current/tests/basic
  10630     552   33180   44362    ad4a install/tests/hal/common/current/tests/basic

So here there is a little over 10K of code in the text segment and 0.5K
of data. The bss, which goes in RAM is just under 33K.

   Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] LPC2106 iar kickstart eval board port
@ 2007-06-14 15:36       ` Alexandre
From: Alexandre @ 2007-06-14 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre, ecos-discuss

Thx a lot i'll try that at work.
So the .elf i obtain from the arm-elf-objcopy command isn't good ?
What do i have to do to make the actual file i'll upload to my board ?

@ 2007-06-14 15:45         ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2007-06-14 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 06:30:40PM +0200, Alexandre wrote:
> Thx a lot i'll try that at work.
> So the .elf i obtain from the arm-elf-objcopy command isn't good ?
> What do i have to do to make the actual file i'll upload to my board ?

I depends on the tools you are using to upload to the board. Does your
JTAG programmer support elf? Does it want ihex? Just use objcopy to
get one of the supported formats.

    Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] LPC2106 iar kickstart eval board port
@ 2007-06-14 15:46           ` Alexandre
From: Alexandre @ 2007-06-14 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre, ecos-discuss

Well i didn't really think about that -.-
I'm using a usb-jtag key from amontec, i'll check to see what it can do.

Thank you very much for answering my silly questions :(