* [ECOS] Ecos size
@ 2008-04-04 13:17 Huguenin Frédéric
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Huguenin Frédéric @ 2008-04-04 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,

I want to use ecos with 500kbytes of ROM. I just want to use a 150kbytes C
program. But when I compile, the size of my executable is 900kbytes.
I would want to know how can I reduce the size of eCos. What don't I need ?
thanks

* Re: [ECOS] Ecos size
@ 2008-04-04 13:17 ` Markus Schaber
       [not found] ` <47F62A69.2000300@gaisler.com>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Markus Schaber @ 2008-04-04 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi, Huguenin,

Huguenin Frédéric <Frederic.Huguenin@he-arc.ch> wrote:

> I want to use ecos with 500kbytes of ROM. I just want to use a 150kbytes C
> program. But when I compile, the size of my executable is 900kbytes.
> I would want to know how can I reduce the size of eCos. What don't I need ?

With ecos, ask the question the other way round. Ask what you need, and
drop everything else.

Additionally, some compiler options (e. g. -Os for size optimization)
may help a little.

Regards,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org

* Re: [ECOS] Ecos size
       [not found] ` <47F62A69.2000300@gaisler.com>
@ 2008-04-04 13:23   ` Jiri Gaisler
From: Jiri Gaisler @ 2008-04-04 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Huguenin Frédéric; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Make sure you measure the executable with the 'size' utility
(e.g. sparc-elf-size app.exe), and not just looking at the
file size. Most of the file size is debugging symbols, which
are not loaded into the prom.

Jiri.

Huguenin Frédéric wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to use ecos with 500kbytes of ROM. I just want to use a 150kbytes C
> program. But when I compile, the size of my executable is 900kbytes.
> I would want to know how can I reduce the size of eCos. What don't I need ?
> thanks

* Re: [ECOS] Ecos size
       [not found] ` <47F62A69.2000300@gaisler.com>
@ 2008-04-04 13:46 ` Edgar Grimberg
From: Edgar Grimberg @ 2008-04-04 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Huguenin Frédéric; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Huguenin Frédéric wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to use ecos with 500kbytes of ROM. I just want to use a 150kbytes C
> program. But when I compile, the size of my executable is 900kbytes.
> I would want to know how can I reduce the size of eCos. What don't I need ?
> thanks

Is the size of the .elf that big? If you are building a ROM application,
you can try to "objcopy -O binary" it to a bin file and see the size of
that.

Edgar

* [ECOS]  Re: Ecos size
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-04-04 14:41 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2008-04-04 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 2008-04-04, Huguenin Frédéric <Frederic.Huguenin@he-arc.ch> wrote:

> I want to use ecos with 500kbytes of ROM. I just want to use a 150kbytes C
> program. But when I compile, the size of my executable is 900kbytes.
> I would want to know how can I reduce the size of eCos. What don't I need?

Given your list of feature requirements, I would say you don't
need anything.  I can come up with a 0KB configuration that
should meet your requirements.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! FROZEN ENTREES may
                                  at               be flung by members of

* [ECOS]  Re: Ecos size
@ 2008-04-04 14:53   ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2008-04-04 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 2008-04-04, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:

>> I want to use ecos with 500kbytes of ROM. I just want to use a 150kbytes C
>> program. But when I compile, the size of my executable is 900kbytes.
>> I would want to know how can I reduce the size of eCos. What don't I need?
>
> Given your list of feature requirements, I would say you don't
> need anything.  I can come up with a 0KB configuration that
> should meet your requirements.

Perhaps that came across as overly sarcastic.  My point is that
the "C" in eCos stands for "Configurable".  eCos can be
anywhere from a few KB to a few MB.  It depends entirely on
what features you need.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'd like some JUNK
                                  at               FOOD ... and then I want to