* [ECOS] IPv6 fails when IPv4 not configured
@ 2013-06-18 18:35 Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2013-06-18 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I've run into a problem when trying to use IPv6 without IPv4.

With an IPv4 address configured, I can use IPv6 with either a static
address or using DHPCv6 and everything works fine.

If I configure a static IPv6 address, everything is fine.  However, if
when I try to use DHCPv6 without IPv4, both my dhcp client and the
eCos radv6 daemon report "no route to host" failures trying to send.
I believe they're both trying to send link-local multicast packets and
failing because the interface doesn't have a link local address.

How do I get the network stack to create and configure an IPv6
link-local address for the interface.  It seems that configuring the
interface with a static IPv6 address does that as a "side effect". How
do I get that to happen without configuring a static IPv6 address?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Is a tattoo real, like
                                  at               a curb or a battleship?

* [ECOS] Re: IPv6 fails when IPv4 not configured
@ 2013-06-18 18:40 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2013-06-18 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 2013-06-18, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've run into a problem when trying to use IPv6 without IPv4.
[...]
> How do I get the network stack to create and configure an IPv6
> link-local address for the interface.  It seems that configuring the
> interface with a static IPv6 address does that as a "side effect". How
> do I get that to happen without configuring a static IPv6 address?

I forgot to mention that I'm using the FreeBSD stack (a snapshot from
CVS probably about a year old).

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Were these parsnips
                                  at               CORRECTLY MARINATED in

* [ECOS] Re: IPv6 fails when IPv4 not configured
@ 2013-06-19 16:38 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2013-06-19 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 2013-06-18, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:

> How do I get the network stack to create and configure an IPv6
> link-local address for the interface?  It seems that configuring the
> interface with a static IPv6 address does that as a "side effect". How
> do I get that to happen without configuring a static IPv6 address?

No ideas on how to get the link local address initialized in IPv6?

Any ideas on how to add an IPv6 route so I can try adding the ff02::
multicast route manually?

Is there any documentation for the eCos IPv6 APIs?

It appears that even configuring an IPv4 static address is sufficient
to allow IPv6 multicast packets to be sent to ff02:: /16 addresses.
But IPv6 should not have to depend on IPv4 being configured.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Vote for ME -- I'm
                                  at               well-tapered, half-cocked,

* [ECOS] Re: IPv6 fails when IPv4 not configured
@ 2013-06-20 18:19   ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2013-06-20 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 2013-06-19, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2013-06-18, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How do I get the network stack to create and configure an IPv6
>> link-local address for the interface?  It seems that configuring the
>> interface with a static IPv6 address does that as a "side effect". How
>> do I get that to happen without configuring a static IPv6 address?
>
> No ideas on how to get the link local address initialized in IPv6?

I found a work-around: I added an address of ff01::1 to the interace
with a lifetime of 1 second.  That seems to be enough to get the
link-local address assigned and the link local routes added.

You shouldn't have to do that...

> Any ideas on how to add an IPv6 route so I can try adding the ff02::
> multicast route manually?
>
> Is there any documentation for the eCos IPv6 APIs?

Apparently, no.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Your CHEEKS sit like
                                  at               twin NECTARINES above