* RE: [ECOS] PPP on eCos(eb40a), continued...
@ 2003-10-16 19:06 Transferencia de Archivos
From: Transferencia de Archivos @ 2003-10-16 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

>This is not going to be much help, But I think you are right. It sounds like
>you are running out of RAM memory. Just the net component on its own without
>the PPP stack is large (in embedded terms).
>
>How much memory have you setup the target to have?

Well, the eb40a has 512k of RAM, I suposse that the space avaliable for the
stack is much less,cuz the other pakgs.

* [ECOS] gdb stubs in ecos.
@ 2003-10-16 20:54 ` Ottawa Guy
From: Ottawa Guy @ 2003-10-16 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello everyone,
I have an interesting problem. I am running a
simulator. This simulator has interface similar to
redBoot. That means I could request the simulator to
load an ELF object file and start executing code at
some memory address.

Now I want to run gdb-stubs on that simulator and then
use the host gdb program to connect to the simulator.

Can someone suggest me what to do.
           Hadi

* Re: [ECOS] PPP on eCos(eb40a), continued...
@ 2003-10-17  8:26 ` Eric de Jong
From: Eric de Jong @ 2003-10-17  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

The eb40a has for a RAM application 256kb internal ram which is shared for both
debugger (redboot, ~60kb), program code and data (stack, heap, constants, bss).
If you have placed external ram, the linker script must be changed to use it,
providing that the memory interface (EBI) is already configured for that memory.
Redboot should have done this already in vector.S and hal_platform_setup.h
For a ROM application, the program code comes in FLASH and  no debugger has to
be used to load your application. This will give you more free ram. But as you
replace redboot, I would not recommend it. Too much trouble.

1) expand your eb40a with extra ram, if not already placed (I have never done it
myself)
2) check if redboot does set up the EBI interface correctly.
3) change your linker script (target.ld) to place the bss section in the
external ram. See if there is enough stack space and heap space left.

Eric de Jong

>This is not going to be much help, But I think you are right. It sounds like
>you are running out of RAM memory. Just the net component on its own without
>the PPP stack is large (in embedded terms).
>
>How much memory have you setup the target to have?

Well, the eb40a has 512k of RAM, I suposse that the space avaliable for the
stack is much less,cuz the other pakgs.

* Re: [ECOS] gdb stubs in ecos.
@ 2003-10-17  9:32   ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-10-17  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ottawa Guy; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Ottawa Guy <ottawaguy81@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hello everyone,
> I have an interesting problem. I am running a
> simulator. This simulator has interface similar to
> redBoot. That means I could request the simulator to
> load an ELF object file and start executing code at
> some memory address.
>

> Now I want to run gdb-stubs on that simulator and then
> use the host gdb program to connect to the simulator.
>
> Can someone suggest me what to do.

This all depends on the level of hardware emulation that the simulator
supports. Does the simulator have full emulation of things like the
interrupt controller, UARTs, etc?

One approach we used in the past was for the simulator to connect its
UART device emulation to a TCP socket. We could then connect GDB to
that socket and treat it like a serial line. However, it was all very
slow because all debug interations were handled by simuated target
code.