* [ECOS] Problem booting into ecos s-record file
@ 2005-04-26 14:51 Santanu Chatterjee
From: Santanu Chatterjee @ 2005-04-26 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello everybody,

I was trying to boot a simple 'hello-world' program (ecos application)
into a P-IV  computer, through redboot. I built redboot FLOPPY image, and
put it onto a floppy. Then I built ecos library for i386 target (with
default configuration). Then I compiled a simple hello-world program
(from the examples),
converted it into S-record format, all using the i386 cross
compilation toolchain
which I built from the source as mentioned in the ecos web site.

Now, I can boot into redboot. At the redboot prompt, I typed:
Redboot> load -mode disk hda4:hello.srec
(I have checked that the path to the file is correct)
But the error I get is that 0x00108000 is not in RAM or something similar.
But then what address should I give to the '-b' option?
Redboot is showing 0x0007bed0-0x000a0000 as the usable RAM (If I remember
correctly)

Could you please help me out here.

Regards,
Santanu

* [ECOS] Re: Problem booting into ecos s-record file
@ 2005-04-27  6:17 ` Santanu Chatterjee
From: Santanu Chatterjee @ 2005-04-27  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 4/26/05, I <thisissantanu@gmail.com> wrote:

> But then what address should I give to the '-b' option?
> Redboot is showing 0x0007bed0-0x000a0000 as the usable RAM (If I remember
> correctly)

I have tried with many addresses within the range
0x0007bed0-0x000a0000, for the '-b' option, but they
all seem to end in either a machine hang or a reboot.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone in this list could
point me to some suitable document (online) that would
help me splve this.

Regards,
Santanu

* Re: [ECOS] Re: Problem booting into ecos s-record file
@ 2005-04-27 10:42   ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2005-04-27 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Santanu Chatterjee; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Santanu Chatterjee <thisissantanu@gmail.com> writes:

> On 4/26/05, I <thisissantanu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > But then what address should I give to the '-b' option?
> > Redboot is showing 0x0007bed0-0x000a0000 as the usable RAM (If I remember
> > correctly)
>
> I have tried with many addresses within the range
> 0x0007bed0-0x000a0000, for the '-b' option, but they
> all seem to end in either a machine hang or a reboot.
>
> I would greatly appreciate it if someone in this list could
> point me to some suitable document (online) that would
> help me splve this.

Have you tried loading and running the ELF version of this application
via GDB? That will determine whether the application works, and is
usually the best way of running test applications.

--
Nick Garnett                                     eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.ecoscentric.com                The eCos and RedBoot experts