* RE: [ECOS] How to disable GDB STUBS?
@ 2002-11-05 13:47 Agarwal, Lomesh
From: Agarwal, Lomesh @ 2002-11-05 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Veer; +Cc: ecos-discuss

I changed inferred value to user value and now inferrence engine is
getting conflicts. Here is the output:

U CYGHWR_HAL_ARM_DUMP_EXCEPTIONS, new inferred value 0
U CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS, new inferred value 1
U CYGDBG_HAL_COMMON_CONTEXT_SAVE_MINIMUM, new inferred value 0
C CYGBLD_BUILD_REDBOOT, "requires" constraint not satisfied:
!CYGINT_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_STUBS || CYGDBG_
HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS
C CYGBLD_BUILD_REDBOOT, "requires" constraint not satisfied:
!CYGINT_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_STUBS || CYGDBG_
HAL_DEBUG_GDB_BREAK_SUPPORT
C CYGBLD_BUILD_REDBOOT, "requires" constraint not satisfied:
!CYGINT_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_STUBS || CYGDBG_
HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS
C CYGBLD_BUILD_REDBOOT, "requires" constraint not satisfied:
!CYGINT_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_STUBS || CYGDBG_
HAL_DEBUG_GDB_BREAK_SUPPORT

Unable to generate build tree, this configuration still contains
conflicts.
Either resolve the conflicts or use --ignore-errors
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Lomesh

From: Bart Veer @ 2002-11-06 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lomesh.agarwal; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    Lomesh> I changed inferred value to user value and now inferrence engine is
    Lomesh> getting conflicts. Here is the output:

    Lomesh> U CYGHWR_HAL_ARM_DUMP_EXCEPTIONS, new inferred value 0
    Lomesh> U CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS, new inferred value 1
    Lomesh> U CYGDBG_HAL_COMMON_CONTEXT_SAVE_MINIMUM, new inferred value 0
    Lomesh> C CYGBLD_BUILD_REDBOOT, "requires" constraint not satisfied:
    Lomesh> !CYGINT_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_STUBS || CYGDBG_
    Lomesh> HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS
    Lomesh> C CYGBLD_BUILD_REDBOOT, "requires" constraint not satisfied:
    Lomesh> !CYGINT_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_STUBS || CYGDBG_
    Lomesh> HAL_DEBUG_GDB_BREAK_SUPPORT

    Lomesh> Unable to generate build tree, this configuration still contains
    Lomesh> conflicts.
    Lomesh> Either resolve the conflicts or use --ignore-errors
    Lomesh> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

    Lomesh> Any suggestions?

Looking at the CDL constraints, the configuration you are after
(RedBoot without gdb stubs) is not currently supported. If you want to
build RedBoot (CYGBLD_BUILD_REDBOOT) and if the architectural HAL (or
possibly variant or platform HAL) provides the necessary support
(CYGINT_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_STUBS) then the generic stubs code in the
common HAL package (CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS) is needed.

Changing this would require modifications to RedBoot itself, and
appropriate adjustments to the CDL. These would probably take the form
of a new RedBoot configuration option or component that controls
whether or not RedBoot should be built with gdb stubs functionality.
The requires constraint could then be moved from CYGBLD_BUILD_REDBOOT
to the new option, and the user could then disable that option. I do
not know how much of RedBoot would be affected by such a change.

Bart

* Re: [ECOS] How to disable GDB STUBS?
@ 2002-11-06 22:00   ` Iztok Zupet
From: Iztok Zupet @ 2002-11-06 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Veer, lomesh.agarwal; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Wednesday 06 November 2002 23:18, Bart Veer wrote:
> Looking at the CDL constraints, the configuration you are after
> (RedBoot without gdb stubs) is not currently supported. If you want to

I've noticed a kind of cyclic dependancy in CDL constraints regarding stubs,
preventing tham beeing disabled. But I'd like to know the trick to debug the
RedBoot startup code with RedBoot if it exists?

Iztok

* Re: [ECOS] How to disable GDB STUBS?
@ 2002-11-07  7:40     ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2002-11-07  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iztok.zupet; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Iztok Zupet <iztok.zupet@vsr.si> writes:

> On Wednesday 06 November 2002 23:18, Bart Veer wrote:
> > Looking at the CDL constraints, the configuration you are after
> > (RedBoot without gdb stubs) is not currently supported. If you want to
>
> I've noticed a kind of cyclic dependancy in CDL constraints regarding stubs,
> preventing tham beeing disabled. But I'd like to know the trick to debug the
> RedBoot startup code with RedBoot if it exists?

There's no trick, you have to do it the hard way. This usually means
flashing LEDs or using assembly code to poke bytes out of a serial
port. Once the HAL serial drivers are initialized properly, then you
can use diag_printf()'s to find out what's happening. Most network
drivers have optional diagnostic output that can be turned on.

If RedBoot is working sufficiently that you can use it for
debugging something then, almost by definition, the startup code must
be working. Also, since RedBoot usually goes into ROM, there is not
much that can be done in the way of setting breakpoints or single
stepping.

--
Nick Garnett - eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.eCosCentric.com/

* Re: [ECOS] How to disable GDB STUBS?
@ 2002-11-05 13:36 ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2002-11-05 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lomesh.agarwal; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    Lomesh> In my redboot_ROM.ecm file I added an entry:
    Lomesh> cdl_option CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS {
    Lomesh>     inferred_value 0
    Lomesh> };
    Lomesh> But still all the code under #ifdef
    Lomesh> CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS is getting compiled.
    Lomesh> How can I undef it?

Part of the problem may be that the inference engine is changing the
value of this option again. "inferred_value" should be used only for
options that were updated by the inference engine to resolve some
conflict in the configuration. If there are still conflicts in the
configuration then the engine is allowed to reset the value to 1, if
that solves the problem(s).

Instead you should be using a user_value:

    cdl_option CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS {
        user_value 1
    }

@ 2002-11-05 13:33 Agarwal, Lomesh
From: Agarwal, Lomesh @ 2002-11-05 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour, Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Discussion

Jifi,
You mean I should put something like this in my ecm file:
cdl_option CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS {
    user_value 0
};
In place of
cdl_option CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS {
    inferred_value 0
};
Right?

Thanks,
Lomesh

From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-11-05 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Agarwal, Lomesh, eCos Discussion

@ 2002-11-05 11:43 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-11-05 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Agarwal, Lomesh; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 12:36, Agarwal, Lomesh wrote:
> I have ported RedBoot to my custom board. I am using it to load Linux
> and to manage flash binaries. I don't need any GDB support for my
> platform. But when user types + or $ it goes into GDB stuff and hangs.
> So, I was thinking it to remove completely so that it doesn't hang.

More properly, just use the CLI the way it's designed.  If you need
to type a "+" or "$", escape them.  For example:

    RedBoot> \+ this is a test
    ** Error: Illegal command: "+"
    RedBoot> \$ this is also
    ** Error: Illegal command: "$"

BTW - your platform isn't hanging - it's waiting for GDB commands.

Gary Thomas                  |
eCosCentric, Ltd.            |
+1 (970) 229-1963            |  eCos & RedBoot experts
gthomas@ecoscentric.com      |
http://www.ecoscentric.com/  |

* RE: [ECOS] How to disable GDB STUBS?
@ 2002-11-05 11:36 Agarwal, Lomesh

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 12:21, Agarwal, Lomesh wrote:
> In my redboot_ROM.ecm file I added an entry:
> cdl_option CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS {
>     inferred_value 0
> };
> But still all the code under #ifdef CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS
> is getting compiled. How can I undef it?

Why would you want to disable the GDB stubs in RedBoot?

@ 2002-11-05 11:24 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-11-05 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Agarwal, Lomesh; +Cc: eCos Discussion

@ 2002-11-05 11:22 Agarwal, Lomesh