* [ECOS] info on i386 rom redboot
@ 2003-09-30 19:19 theoharis tsenis
From: theoharis tsenis @ 2003-09-30 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss ecos

Hi,
   i have recompiled the redboot for floppy on an i386 compatible PC platform and works perfectly. I tried to compile for booting from the flash (BIOS). Does anyone did that? If so please let me know the whole procedure and if possible where to find a correspond bin. What i did was the redboot.bin with the booting image passed into the flash. In order to have at the boot sector of the flash to booting image i copy paste the reboot.bin(64k) accross the size of the flash. Please advice.

* Re: [ECOS] info on i386 rom redboot
@ 2003-10-01 14:32 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-10-01 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ttsenis; +Cc: discuss ecos

"theoharis tsenis" <ttsenis@lycos.com> writes:

> Hi, i have recompiled the redboot for floppy on an i386 compatible
> PC platform and works perfectly. I tried to compile for booting from
> the flash (BIOS). Does anyone did that? If so please let me know the
> whole procedure and if possible where to find a correspond bin. What
> i did was the redboot.bin with the booting image passed into the
> flash. In order to have at the boot sector of the flash to booting
> image i copy paste the reboot.bin(64k) accross the size of the
> flash. Please advice.

The ROM startup is configured to boot the I386 from its reset
vector. I only ever tested it on the Bochs simulator, never on real
hardware. At the very least it would probably need some additional
hardware-specific code to complete the hardware initialization.

I don't know what the requirements for booting an application from
flash via the BIOS might be. There is no support for that in the
current sources.