* [ECOS] Re: Can eCos run RAM-startup on MIPS MALTA board?
       [not found] <00f401c28538$b6478b40$cbf0630c@riverside>
@ 2002-11-06  1:04 ` Iztok Zupet
From: Iztok Zupet @ 2002-11-06  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jimmy Zhang, ecos-discuss; +Cc: embeddedeng

On Wednesday 06 November 2002 03:03, Jimmy Zhang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I saw the following discussions regarding MIPS board. And want to make sure
> one thing:
>
> my ecos.ecc has this line:
>
> #Startup type
> #Currently only ROM startup type is supported.
> cdl_component CYG_HAL_STARTUP
> {
>
> Is this true? Anybody has ever built RAM images for MIPS Malta board?

Guess it's true. I don't know much about Malta boards, but it seems that in
the time the eCos port was done, there must have been some reason for not
implementing a RAM target.

Am I wrong?

Iztok

* Re: [ECOS] Re: Can eCos run RAM-startup on MIPS MALTA board?
@ 2002-11-06 10:42   ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2002-11-06 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iztok.zupet; +Cc: Jimmy Zhang, ecos-discuss, embeddedeng

Iztok Zupet <iztok.zupet@vsr.si> writes:

> On Wednesday 06 November 2002 03:03, Jimmy Zhang wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I saw the following discussions regarding MIPS board. And want to make sure
> > one thing:
> >
> > my ecos.ecc has this line:
> >
> > #Startup type
> > #Currently only ROM startup type is supported.
> > cdl_component CYG_HAL_STARTUP
> > {
> >
> > Is this true? Anybody has ever built RAM images for MIPS Malta board?
>
> Guess it's true. I don't know much about Malta boards, but it seems that in
> the time the eCos port was done, there must have been some reason for not
> implementing a RAM target.
>
> Am I wrong?

Initially the Malta board port was for RedBoot only. So that comment
is probably a hang over from that. The Malta eCos port was never
official -- no customer ever paid for it -- so it was never fully
tested and was only done in spare moments. So there may be lurking
problems in it.

--
Nick Garnett - eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.eCosCentric.com/