* [ECOS] GDB simulator target?
@ 2001-02-01 14:58 Paul Pham
From: Paul Pham @ 2001-02-01 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

How useful is the GDB simulator target? I have mine configured for the
arm-elf target, but to do anything useful (I/O or use the peripherals), the
simulator needs to know processor-specific things like control registers,
not just the generic ARM core.

For example, if a printf requires outputting data to the UART, will the
simulator know which registers to write to? If I need to check status
registers, say, to see if the UART FIFO is empty or full, does the simulator
change those registers to reflect the state of a simulated FIFO?

Thanks,
Paul

* Re: [ECOS] GDB simulator target?
@ 2001-02-02 10:59 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2001-02-02 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Pham; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Paul Pham" <ppham@MIT.EDU> writes:

: How useful is the GDB simulator target? [...]
: For example, if a printf requires outputting data to the UART, will the
: simulator know which registers to write to? [...]

Few of the gdb simulators are capable of running eCos software.  The
arm one in particular lacks models for several peripherals that eCos
needs.  In contrast, the arm simulator that comes with our recently
released sid simulator does have more peripherals.

One of the aims of the sid project is to provide an increasing library
of simulation models, suitable for debugging operating systems such as
eCos and that run on them.

See < http://sources.redhat.com/sid >.

- FChE