* [ECOS] memory layouts
@ 2000-11-06  2:35 danish iftikhar
From: danish iftikhar @ 2000-11-06  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi

  going through the eCos repository , i am trying to figure out how to
change the memory layout ( linker script fragments) for porting it to other
platforms . in the include/pkgconf directory , i found that there are
specifically .h , .ldi & .mlt files .  But .h & .ldi are supposed to be
generatede ones .
I am not able to figure out , how and from where are they generated.
If i have to make my own linker script fragment , then where should i make
my scripts or can i edit any of these files dirctly to map my platforms
memory layout , if so which files .
where can i get a good tutorial specifying different sections used in these
files such as "fini" , "fixup" etc..

regards
danish.

http://profiles.msn.com .

* Re: [ECOS] memory layouts
@ 2000-11-06  3:50 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2000-11-06  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danish iftikhar; +Cc: ecos-discuss

danish> Hi

danish>   going through the eCos repository , i am trying to figure
danish> out how to change the memory layout ( linker script fragments)
danish> for porting it to other platforms . in the include/pkgconf
danish> directory , i found that there are specifically .h , .ldi &
danish> .mlt files .  But .h & .ldi are supposed to be generatede ones
danish> .  I am not able to figure out , how and from where are they
danish> generated.  If i have to make my own linker script fragment ,
danish> then where should i make my scripts or can i edit any of these
danish> files dirctly to map my platforms memory layout , if so which
danish> files .  where can i get a good tutorial specifying different
danish> sections used in these files such as "fini" , "fixup" etc..

Please see these:

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/porting/hal-linking.html
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/porting/hal-memory.html

+ to generate the files, you need to run the configuration tool under
WinDOS. If you don't have access to that, just change the .h and .ldi
files by hand (ignore the .mlt file).

The sections are defined by the linker, try 'XXX-elf-ld --verbose'.
But if you are just adding a new platform, the architecture/variant
already defines the necessary sections (see the .ld file)

Jesper