* [ECOS] Test Serial Port 2 on NEC vrc4373 target.
@ 2000-10-24 16:05 Ling Su
From: Ling Su @ 2000-10-24 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I am trying to test the serial port 2 on my board working properly. I
wrote some programs and connect my PC and the board using a direct serial cable
(not null modem, since I found GDB doesn't use null modem, I guess the two
serial ports are in same configuration). Unfortunately, I don't read
out anything although on the PC side I wrote a program to keep writing to the
this serial port.

I have ever tried the serial port test cases in eCos with
"ser_filter" for serial port 1. I think I might be able to run the test cases on
serial port 2, so I did following things and try to run one
of the test cases,

<1>. I modified the ser_test_protocol.inl, change the "TEST_SER_DEV"
from "CYDAT_IO_SERIAL_MIPS_VRC4373_SERIAL0_NAME" to
"CYDAT_IO_SERIAL_MIPS_VRC4373_SERIAL1_NAME". Supposely the test case will use
"/dev/ser1" instead of "/dev/ser0".

<2>. On PC side, I run following command in seperate console,
        ser_filter -t 9001 /dev/ttyS0
38400
        ser_filter -t 9000 /dev/ttyS1
38400
Thus two program will monitor both of the two ports.

<3>. Using GDB to load the test case "serial3" to "remote
localhost:9001", it was successfully loaded. But when I let the program run, it
halts on "NOT APPLICABLE: no host side harness dectect". Apparently it tried to
read reply from HOST, nothing read in and timer timeout was triggered .

So more specifically, my question is, anything wrong with my assumption and
procedure? or any method to test serial port 2?

Thanks for anyone who can shed me some light!

Regards,
-Ling

* Re: [ECOS] Test Serial Port 2 on NEC vrc4373 target.
@ 2000-10-24 19:01 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-10-24 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ling Su; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> Ling Su wrote:
>
> I am trying to test the serial port 2 on my board working properly. I
> wrote some programs and connect my PC and the board using a direct serial
> cable (not null modem, since I found GDB doesn't use null modem, I guess
> the two serial ports are in same configuration). Unfortunately, I don't
> read out anything although on the PC side I wrote a program to keep
> writing to the this serial port.
>
> I have ever tried the serial port test cases in eCos with "ser_filter"
> for serial port 1. I think I might be able to run the test cases on
> serial port 2, so I did following things and try to run one of the test
> cases,

You don't need ser_filter to see if the second port works. If cyg_io_write
to /dev/ser1 doesn't work, then the serial tests won't have any more joy.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Test Serial Port 2 on NEC vrc4373 target.
@ 2000-10-24 23:48 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2000-10-24 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ling Su; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Ling> I have ever tried the serial port test cases in eCos with
Ling> "ser_filter" = for serial port 1. I think I might be able to run
Ling> the test cases on = serial port 2, so I did following things and
Ling> try to run one of the test = cases,=20

Ling> <1>. I modified the ser_test_protocol.inl, change the
Ling> "TEST_SER_DEV" = from
Ling> "CYDAT_IO_SERIAL_MIPS_VRC4373_SERIAL0_NAME" to =
Ling> "CYDAT_IO_SERIAL_MIPS_VRC4373_SERIAL1_NAME". Supposely the test
Ling> case = will use "/dev/ser1" instead of "/dev/ser0".

I assume you also enabled the serial drivers.

Ling> <2>. On PC side, I run following command in seperate console,
Ling> ser_filter -t 9001 /dev/ttyS0 38400=20 ser_filter -t 9000
Ling> /dev/ttyS1 38400 Thus two program will monitor both of the two
Ling> ports.

Starting ser_filter doesn't connect it to the serial line. That
happens as part of the GDB target connect. In order to run the filter
on its own, you need to use the -n option (no GDB, forcing the filter
to connect to the port immediately).

And you only want to run one filter (on the port connected to VRC4373
SERIAL1).

Jesper