* Re: [ECOS] Help with linux on PC moboard using redboot
       [not found] <32A0F6EE19ECF646A9CF370C3AB15EBED8FD48@SVR-ALH-EXC-02.mgc.mentorg.com>
@ 2005-04-14 10:31 ` SSG
From: SSG @ 2005-04-14 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali, Khurram; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Khurram,
No I actually need to boot off a local harddisk. I have an
application which required that I do some integrity check
on the disk before I boot linux that is why I am using
redboot, so that I can write an ecos application that will
do the integrity check and then I can load linux as usual.
I am able to load the vmlinuz kernel with
redboot> load -r -b %{FREELOMEM} -m disk hda1:vmlinuz
This throws a lot of multi coloured garbage on the screen,
perhaps I loaded the image into the video mem area. Then
if I attempt to execute this the PC simply reboots.

Thanks.
Shyam.

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:09:17 -0500
  "Ali, Khurram" <Khurram_Ali@mentor.com> wrote:
>Shyam,
>
>I have a setup where I boot using a floppy (with
>redboot). I have ethernet on my target PC. If you have a
>BOOTP server, redboot will use it to get an IP address.
>Alternatively, you can use ip_address -l x.x.x.x to
>provide an IP to your target.
>
>I then use GDB to load my image. Since I am not too
>fimiliar with GDB, I use insight (GUI over GDB) to
>download my image to the target.
>
>Does this help?
>
>Thank you,
>Khurram

* [ECOS] Help with loading kernel on i386
@ 2005-04-18 18:00   ` Shyam Gopal
From: Shyam Gopal @ 2005-04-18 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss, SSG

Hi Guys,
I am working with redboot on a i386 PC. I'm attempting to
load and run a bzImage from the redboot prompt.
redboot boots up fine and gives this message.
RAM: 0x000000-0x000a0000, [0x0008acd0-0x000a0000]
available

I am able to load the kernel image with
redboot> load -r -b %{FREELOMEM} bzImage
This throws a lot of multi coloured garbage on the
screen, perhaps I loaded the image into the video mem
area. Then if I attempt to execute this the PC simply
reboots.

As per the man page for the exec command. The kernel
expects to be loaded at a specific address for each
platform. What is that address for an i386 ? I have
patched in Ian Campbell "Linux" command for exececuting
the linux kernel.

When I built redboot there were couple of values used by
the configtool, is this correct.
>ecosconfig new pc redboot
U CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR new inferred value 0
U CYGIMP_HAL_COMMON_INTERRUPTS_USE_INTERRUPT_STACK new inf
val 0
I'd greatly appreciate any help.
Thanks,
SSG

* [ECOS] Help with loading kernel on i386
@ 2005-04-19  2:16 SSG
From: SSG @ 2005-04-19  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss, SSG

Hi Guys,
I am working with redboot on a i386 PC. I'm attempting to
load and run a bzImage from the redboot prompt.
redboot boots up fine and gives this message.
RAM: 0x000000-0x000a0000, [0x0008acd0-0x000a0000]
available

I am able to load the kernel image with
redboot> load -r -b %{FREELOMEM} bzImage
This throws a lot of multi coloured garbage on the
screen, perhaps I loaded the image into the video mem
area. Then if I attempt to execute this the PC simply
reboots. I have patched in Ian Campbell "Linux" command
for exececuting the linux kernel.

As per the man page for the exec command. The kernel
expects to be loaded at a specific address for each
platform. What is that address for an i386 ?

When I built redboot there were couple of values used by
the configtool
>ecosconfig new pc redboot
U CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR new inferred value 0
U CYGIMP_HAL_COMMON_INTERRUPTS_USE_INTERRUPT_STACK new inf
val 0
I appreciate any help.
Thanks,
SSG