* v2.0 beta branch
@ 2003-02-14 15:46 Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-02-14 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Maintainers

Hi guys,

We're now at the stage where we want to make a 2.0 beta branch in the
public repository. Is everyone okay with that? This is just a branch in
advance of the proper beta release so we can make sure it's a stable base
for testing and generating the beta.

If there are no objections I'll do it later this evening.

Separately, but relevant before the branch, I and the other guys think
it's about time we renamed the net template to old_net and new_net to net.
Is this okay too? Obviously we'll update the docs with that.

Jifl

* Re: v2.0 beta branch
@ 2003-02-14 15:51 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-02-14 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 08:46, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> We're now at the stage where we want to make a 2.0 beta branch in the
> public repository. Is everyone okay with that? This is just a branch in
> advance of the proper beta release so we can make sure it's a stable base
> for testing and generating the beta.
>
> If there are no objections I'll do it later this evening.

Can you set a specific time for this?  I'd like to see if I can have
a new [platform] port ready before that.  n.b. it's pretty much ready
now, I was just going to do a few tweaks before submitting.

If I miss this "deadline", it's no big deal, but it would be nice
to get in under the wire.

> Separately, but relevant before the branch, I and the other guys think
> it's about time we renamed the net template to old_net and new_net to net.
> Is this okay too? Obviously we'll update the docs with that.

When you do that (it's OK by me), remember to point out that SNMP is
not net working/available with the new stack.

Gary Thomas                 |
MLB Associates              |  Consulting for the
+1 (970) 229-1963           |    Embedded world
http://www.mlbassoc.com/    |
email: <gary@mlbassoc.com>  |
gpg: http://www.chez-thomas.org/gary/gpg_key.asc

* Re: v2.0 beta branch
@ 2003-02-14 15:55   ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-02-14 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Jonathan Larmour, eCos Maintainers

> When you do that (it's OK by me), remember to point out that SNMP is
> not net working/available with the new stack.

Probably a good idea to change the SNMP CDL to require net_old. I
suppose the other option is to make the FreeBSD work correctly with
SNMP!

        Andrew

* Re: v2.0 beta branch
@ 2003-02-14 15:58     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-02-14 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 08:55, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > When you do that (it's OK by me), remember to point out that SNMP is
> > not net working/available with the new stack.
>
> Probably a good idea to change the SNMP CDL to require net_old. I
> suppose the other option is to make the FreeBSD work correctly with
> SNMP!

Feel free to "step up to the plate!"  Honestly, I've looked at
this and it is a non-trivial amount of effort, hence the fact
that it hasn't happened yet.

The CDL requirement is a very good option, thanks for suggesting it.

@ 2003-02-14 16:00       ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-02-14 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, eCos Maintainers

> Feel free to "step up to the plate!"  Honestly, I've looked at
> this and it is a non-trivial amount of effort, hence the fact
> that it hasn't happened yet.

I was guessing it was not easy. So, no thanks, not at the moment!

  Andrew

* Re: v2.0 beta branch
@ 2003-02-14 16:02     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-02-14 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: Gary Thomas, eCos Maintainers

Andrew Lunn wrote:
>>When you do that (it's OK by me), remember to point out that SNMP is
>>not net working/available with the new stack.
>

> Probably a good idea to change the SNMP CDL to require net_old. I
> suppose the other option is to make the FreeBSD work correctly with
> SNMP!

One of these is easy, and the other will take some time and lots of
testing. Which to choose... :-). Obviously this wants to be resolved, but
it's not likely to happen before 2.0 final methinks. In all probability it
would require a re-import of the net-snmp stack, and then applying the
various changes back in (like the stuff Ascom did for SNMPv3 recently).
Ouch :-|.

Jifl

* Re: v2.0 beta branch
@ 2003-02-14 16:20   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-02-14 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

Gary Thomas wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 08:46, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>
>>Hi guys,
>>
>>We're now at the stage where we want to make a 2.0 beta branch in the
>>public repository. Is everyone okay with that? This is just a branch in
>>advance of the proper beta release so we can make sure it's a stable base
>>for testing and generating the beta.
>>
>>If there are no objections I'll do it later this evening.
>

> Can you set a specific time for this?  I'd like to see if I can have
> a new [platform] port ready before that.  n.b. it's pretty much ready
> now, I was just going to do a few tweaks before submitting.

Let's say 19:30 GMT. Jld wants to do some testing over the weekend, and
wants to get it started this evening.

> If I miss this "deadline", it's no big deal, but it would be nice
> to get in under the wire.

I think we'll have to move to an "approve before commits" system pretty
much straight away for anything but trivial bug fixes. So commit to the
trunk when you're ready, post the patch, and $SOMEONEELSE can decide if
it's safe or not.

At a guess, if it's very self-contained it's probably ok; if it plays
around in arch/variant HALs for example, then probably not. So if it's the
latter, it may not be worth busting a gut.

It'll probably be okay to relax the branch commit requirements a bit once
the beta release is actually spun from the branch and available for
download, just to make life easier for the beta period before the final.

This is only for target code of course, not docs etc.

>>Separately, but relevant before the branch, I and the other guys think
>>it's about time we renamed the net template to old_net and new_net to net.
>>Is this okay too? Obviously we'll update the docs with that.
>

> When you do that (it's OK by me), remember to point out that SNMP is
> not net working/available with the new stack.

Yep. And will do the CDL requires which seals it :-).

Jifl

* Re: v2.0 beta branch
@ 2003-02-14 16:24     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-02-14 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 09:20, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Gary Thomas wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 08:46, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> >
> >>Hi guys,
> >>
> >>We're now at the stage where we want to make a 2.0 beta branch in the
> >>public repository. Is everyone okay with that? This is just a branch in
> >>advance of the proper beta release so we can make sure it's a stable base
> >>for testing and generating the beta.
> >>
> >>If there are no objections I'll do it later this evening.
> >

> > Can you set a specific time for this?  I'd like to see if I can have
> > a new [platform] port ready before that.  n.b. it's pretty much ready
> > now, I was just going to do a few tweaks before submitting.
>
> Let's say 19:30 GMT. Jld wants to do some testing over the weekend, and
> wants to get it started this evening.
>
> > If I miss this "deadline", it's no big deal, but it would be nice
> > to get in under the wire.
>
> I think we'll have to move to an "approve before commits" system pretty
> much straight away for anything but trivial bug fixes. So commit to the
> trunk when you're ready, post the patch, and $SOMEONEELSE can decide if
> it's safe or not.
>
> At a guess, if it's very self-contained it's probably ok; if it plays
> around in arch/variant HALs for example, then probably not. So if it's the
> latter, it may not be worth busting a gut.
>
> It'll probably be okay to relax the branch commit requirements a bit once
> the beta release is actually spun from the branch and available for
> download, just to make life easier for the beta period before the final.

It's self contained, with little (if any) non-platform specific changes.

That said, I'll probably just wait, but we'll see where I'm at in 3
hours time :-)

> This is only for target code of course, not docs etc.
>
> >>Separately, but relevant before the branch, I and the other guys think
> >>it's about time we renamed the net template to old_net and new_net to net.
> >>Is this okay too? Obviously we'll update the docs with that.
> >

> > When you do that (it's OK by me), remember to point out that SNMP is
> > not net working/available with the new stack.
>
> Yep. And will do the CDL requires which seals it :-).

Thanks.

@ 2003-02-14 18:54     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-02-14 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Maintainers

Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Gary Thomas wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 08:46, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> We're now at the stage where we want to make a 2.0 beta branch in the
>>> public repository. Is everyone okay with that? This is just a branch
[snip]

Other changes just held me back a little, but it's now branched! So
please, for target side code, if you want it in the branch please put
something like [APPROVE] in the Subject in your mail to ecos-patches if
you want it considered for inclusion and get another maintainer to approve
it before committing to the branch, but obviously we'd like to keep
changes down for testing reasons.... stable fixes only right now please,
no new features.

Obviously the trunk remains free-for-all.

The branch name is ecos-v2_0-branch and I also made a branchpoint tag.

Jifl

* Re: v2.0 beta branch
@ 2003-02-14 19:09       ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-02-14 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 11:54, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> > Gary Thomas wrote:

> [snip]
>
> Other changes just held me back a little, but it's now branched! So
> please, for target side code, if you want it in the branch please put
> something like [APPROVE] in the Subject in your mail to ecos-patches if
> you want it considered for inclusion and get another maintainer to approve
> it before committing to the branch, but obviously we'd like to keep
> changes down for testing reasons.... stable fixes only right now please,
> no new features.
>
> Obviously the trunk remains free-for-all.
>
> The branch name is ecos-v2_0-branch and I also made a branchpoint tag.

Would you like for me to add a v2_0 CVS snapshot to my weekly build?
[for those less fortunate folks that don't have CVS access]

@ 2003-02-14 19:18         ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-02-14 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

Gary Thomas wrote:

> Would you like for me to add a v2_0 CVS snapshot to my weekly build?
> [for those less fortunate folks that don't have CVS access]

If it's not too much trouble, go ahead. Hopefully we shouldn't be long at
this though - I don't want to tempt fate by setting a date tho ;-).

Jifl

* Re: v2.0 beta branch
@ 2003-02-14 19:20           ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-02-14 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 12:18, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Gary Thomas wrote:
> >
> > Would you like for me to add a v2_0 CVS snapshot to my weekly build?
> > [for those less fortunate folks that don't have CVS access]
>
> If it's not too much trouble, go ahead. Hopefully we shouldn't be long at
> this though - I don't want to tempt fate by setting a date tho ;-).

Already in place :-)  It will show up on Monday, when the
next snapshot take place.