* ISO9660 support
@ 2003-05-28 13:12 Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-05-28 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Maintainers; +Cc: Jesper Skov

Gents,

A long time ago (Dec 2001), Jesper was working on a contributed
port for the Sega (IIRC) that included ISO9660 support in RedBoot.
That never made it into the official tree, for legal reasons I
believe.  Does anyone know what happened there?  Is there some
way we can follow up on this and get the support put in?

Just because it would be nice and also the remnants that are
left make the code messy for little reason.

Thanks.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates

* Re: ISO9660 support
@ 2003-05-28 13:16 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-05-28 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Maintainers, Jesper Skov

Gary Thomas wrote:
> Gents,
>
> A long time ago (Dec 2001), Jesper was working on a contributed
> port for the Sega (IIRC) that included ISO9660 support in RedBoot.
> That never made it into the official tree, for legal reasons I
> believe.  Does anyone know what happened there?  Is there some
> way we can follow up on this and get the support put in?
>
> Just because it would be nice and also the remnants that are
> left make the code messy for little reason.

FYI I don't have the original contrib any more so I hope someone else
does. I believe part of the issue was that it was added pretty much as a
crude hack, rather than it being legal issues (the rest of the dreamcast
port was assigned obviously). And there was no way to test it too as you
needed some special equipment IIRC. But Jesper will know so I'll shut up :-).

Jifl

* Re: ISO9660 support
@ 2003-05-28 14:49 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2003-05-28 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 15:12, Gary Thomas wrote:
> Gents,
>
> A long time ago (Dec 2001), Jesper was working on a contributed
> port for the Sega (IIRC) that included ISO9660 support in RedBoot.
> That never made it into the official tree, for legal reasons I
> believe.  Does anyone know what happened there?  Is there some
> way we can follow up on this and get the support put in?

I think the problem was that he had lifted the code from the Linux
kernel. But I'm not 100% sure.

Sorry, I don't remember anything specific about it. And I don't think I
have the code...

esper

--
Jesper Skov <jskov@zoftcorp.dk>

* Re: ISO9660 support
@ 2003-05-28 15:02   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-05-28 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesper Skov; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 08:49, Jesper Skov wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 15:12, Gary Thomas wrote:
> > Gents,
> >
> > A long time ago (Dec 2001), Jesper was working on a contributed
> > port for the Sega (IIRC) that included ISO9660 support in RedBoot.
> > That never made it into the official tree, for legal reasons I
> > believe.  Does anyone know what happened there?  Is there some
> > way we can follow up on this and get the support put in?
> >

> I think the problem was that he had lifted the code from the Linux
> kernel. But I'm not 100% sure.
>
> Sorry, I don't remember anything specific about it. And I don't think I
> have the code...

As I thought - I can't find the code either so I guess we're at step 1.

> esper
>
> > Just because it would be nice and also the remnants that are
> > left make the code messy for little reason.
> >
> > Thanks.

Nice to hear from you, Jesper.  How's life treating the married man?

--

@ 2003-05-28 21:05   ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2003-05-28 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jifl; +Cc: gary, ecos-maintainers, jskov

    Jifl> Gary Thomas wrote:
    >> Gents,
    >>
    >> A long time ago (Dec 2001), Jesper was working on a contributed
    >> port for the Sega (IIRC) that included ISO9660 support in
    >> RedBoot. That never made it into the official tree, for legal
    >> reasons I believe. Does anyone know what happened there? Is
    >> there some way we can follow up on this and get the support put
    >> in?
    >>
    >> Just because it would be nice and also the remnants that are
    >> left make the code messy for little reason.

    Jifl> FYI I don't have the original contrib any more so I hope
    Jifl> someone else does. I believe part of the issue was that it
    Jifl> was added pretty much as a crude hack, rather than it being
    Jifl> legal issues (the rest of the dreamcast port was assigned
    Jifl> obviously). And there was no way to test it too as you
    Jifl> needed some special equipment IIRC. But Jesper will know so
    Jifl> I'll shut up :-).

I might still have the contrib somewhere, but a better place to look
is http://www.m17n.org/dodes/ecos/. That takes you to a CVS repository
containing
http://cvs.m17n.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/ecos/ecos/packages/fs/iso/?cvsroot=superh

You should also be aware that a dreamcast does not have an ordinary CD
drive. Instead it has a GD drive with ~1GB capacity. From another
website:

"A GD-ROM disk actually consits of two data regions, separated by a
data-less separator ring. The inner region contains a normal Yellow
Book CD-ROM track, and a Red Book CD-DA track. This region can be read
in any CD drive. The outer region (outside the separator ring) is the
high-density area which contains the actual game data (both files and
CD-DA audio)."

I don't know if that affected the ISO support, they may have supported
the inner region only.

Bart

--
Bart Veer                       eCos Configuration Architect

* Re: ISO9660 support
@ 2003-05-28 21:16     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-05-28 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Veer; +Cc: jifl, eCos Maintainers, Jesper Skov

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 15:05, Bart Veer wrote:

>     Jifl> Gary Thomas wrote:
>     >> Gents,
>     >>
>     >> A long time ago (Dec 2001), Jesper was working on a contributed
>     >> port for the Sega (IIRC) that included ISO9660 support in
>     >> RedBoot. That never made it into the official tree, for legal
>     >> reasons I believe. Does anyone know what happened there? Is
>     >> there some way we can follow up on this and get the support put
>     >> in?
>     >>
>     >> Just because it would be nice and also the remnants that are
>     >> left make the code messy for little reason.
>
>     Jifl> FYI I don't have the original contrib any more so I hope
>     Jifl> someone else does. I believe part of the issue was that it
>     Jifl> was added pretty much as a crude hack, rather than it being
>     Jifl> legal issues (the rest of the dreamcast port was assigned
>     Jifl> obviously). And there was no way to test it too as you
>     Jifl> needed some special equipment IIRC. But Jesper will know so
>     Jifl> I'll shut up :-).
>
> I might still have the contrib somewhere, but a better place to look
> is http://www.m17n.org/dodes/ecos/. That takes you to a CVS repository
> containing
> http://cvs.m17n.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/ecos/ecos/packages/fs/iso/?cvsroot=superh
>
> You should also be aware that a dreamcast does not have an ordinary CD
> drive. Instead it has a GD drive with ~1GB capacity. From another
> website:
>
> "A GD-ROM disk actually consits of two data regions, separated by a
> data-less separator ring. The inner region contains a normal Yellow
> Book CD-ROM track, and a Red Book CD-DA track. This region can be read
> in any CD drive. The outer region (outside the separator ring) is the
> high-density area which contains the actual game data (both files and
> CD-DA audio)."
>
> I don't know if that affected the ISO support, they may have supported
> the inner region only.

Thanks for the pointer.  I've downloaded the code and I'll give it a
glance to see if somehow we can use it.  On first look it seems to be
a little too Dreamcast specific and there are no copyrights in the code,
so it may take a little effort to bring it in.

--

@ 2003-05-28 22:27       ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-05-28 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

Gary Thomas wrote:

> Thanks for the pointer.  I've downloaded the code and I'll give it a
> glance to see if somehow we can use it.  On first look it seems to be
> a little too Dreamcast specific and there are no copyrights in the code,
> so it may take a little effort to bring it in.

You should definitely confirm the copyright status, including as Jesper
suggested, whether any of the code came from elsewhere, Linux kernel or
otherwise.

Jifl

* Re: ISO9660 support
@ 2003-05-28 22:36     ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2003-05-28 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 17:02, Gary Thomas wrote:

> Nice to hear from you, Jesper.  How's life treating the married man?

Really well, thanks!

Time flies, and I'm enjoying both married life and my new job :)

The company is trying to sell our electronic patient journal software to
some of the solution provider corporations in UK, so the UK guys may
(should they end up in hospital) risk being taken care of with the help
of some of my Java hacks (pity the poor bastards ;)

Cheers,
Jesper