* Re: [ECOS] i82559 and FreeBSD stack
       [not found] <20030225091019.GW11159@biferten.ma.tech.ascom.ch>
@ 2003-02-27  8:38 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-02-27  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Maintainers

Hi Folks

I've not received any replies to this.

Maybe you should put something in the release notes?

      Andrew

@ 2003-02-27 13:13   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-02-27 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 01:38, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> I've not received any replies to this.
>
> Maybe you should put something in the release notes?

It works fine for me (I just tried it here).  I also know that
I did most of the original testing using such interfaces.

What kinds of problems exactly do you have?

>       Andrew
>
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 10:10:19AM +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > Hi Folks
> >
> > Is anybody using the i82559 ethernet driver with the FreeBSD stack?
> >
> > I tried this for the first time over the weekend and found 25% packet
> > loss on the transmit side.
> >
> > I was wondering if this is a general problem, or specific to my target
> > hardware?
> >
> >         Thanks
> >
> >                 Andrew
> >
> > --
> > Before posting, please read the FAQ: http://sources.redhat.com/fom/ecos

Gary Thomas                 |
MLB Associates              |  Consulting for the
+1 (970) 229-1963           |    Embedded world
http://www.mlbassoc.com/    |
email: <gary@mlbassoc.com>  |
gpg: http://www.chez-thomas.org/gary/gpg_key.asc

* Re: [ECOS] i82559 and FreeBSD stack
@ 2003-02-27 13:26     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-02-27 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, eCos Maintainers

> It works fine for me (I just tried it here).  I also know that
> I did most of the original testing using such interfaces.
>
> What kinds of problems exactly do you have?

I've not debugged it much, so cannot give much detail.

I noticed the problem when testing the SNMP changes for the FreeBSD
patch. Im using an AFE1, thats ascom's hardware which is not in the
anoncvs tree. Im using a HAL from 1.5.2. All works fine for OpenBSD.
but the snmpping test program has problems with FreeBSD. The snmpwalk
works, but its very slow. I used tcpdump which showed it was making
lots of retransmits of requests because the target was not replying.

I then pinged the target from my linux host and got around 25% packet
loss. This does not show what is broken, RX or TX. So lastly i look at
tcpdump while snmpping was pinging my server as returned by DHCP. 1 in
4 ICMP echo requests were not making it to my host. So i think there
is something broken in the transmit path.

Hopefully over the weekend i can spend some more time to try to track
down the problem.

     Andrew