* Re: lwip license p.s.
       [not found] ` <20040427120056.4378c67f.jani@iv.ro>
@ 2004-04-27 13:57   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2004-04-27 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jani Monoses; +Cc: eCos Maintainers, Andrew Lunn

[ maintainers list cc'd ]
Jani Monoses wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:25:30 +0100
> Jonathan Larmour <jifl@eCosCentric.com> wrote:
>

>>Just by the way, have a look at the thread about lwip and ppp on
>>ecos-maintainers in the archive from 15th april:
>>http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-maintainers
>>
>>I forgot in the recent mail I sent that ppp requires special treatment.
>
> I read those posts back then and now again. What I understand is that ppp
> too can go in ecos but it would have been better if it did not have the adv
> clause.

Hmmm, I've just had a look myself at
http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/lwip/lwip/src/netif/ppp/ I can't
see any file with an advertising clause. Andrew, what files were you
thinking of when you said about the advertising clause before?

> Although I am still not usre which files can/should have the GPL header
> and which cannot.

This may be a non-issue if there is no advertising clause. If there is an
advertising clause, then the whole lwip package should _not_ be GPL'd. The
GPL is incompatible with the advertising clause.

Jifl

* Re: lwip license p.s.
@ 2004-04-27 14:08     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2004-04-27 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jani Monoses; +Cc: eCos Maintainers, Andrew Lunn

Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> [ maintainers list cc'd ]
> Jani Monoses wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:25:30 +0100
>> Jonathan Larmour <jifl@eCosCentric.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Just by the way, have a look at the thread about lwip and ppp on
>>> ecos-maintainers in the archive from 15th april:
>>> http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-maintainers
>>>
>>> I forgot in the recent mail I sent that ppp requires special treatment.
>>

>> I read those posts back then and now again. What I understand is that ppp
>> too can go in ecos but it would have been better if it did not have
>> the adv
>> clause.
>

> Hmmm, I've just had a look myself at
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/lwip/lwip/src/netif/ppp/ I
> can't see any file with an advertising clause. Andrew, what files were
> you thinking of when you said about the advertising clause before?

Duh, I was just going to reply to a different (off-list) mail from Jani and
have just seen the advertising clause further down the file (some of them
have three copyright headers!). So ignore me, and I'll discuss with Jani
off-list.

Jifl

* Re: lwip license p.s.
@ 2004-04-27 14:19     ` Jani Monoses
From: Jani Monoses @ 2004-04-27 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-maintainers, andrew.lunn

> Hmmm, I've just had a look myself at
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/lwip/lwip/src/netif/ppp/ I
> can't see any file with an advertising clause. Andrew, what files were
> you thinking of when you said about the advertising clause before?

this is in ppp/vj.c
But I'm not sure that it's the advertising clause or not.

also in ppp/auth there's similar text for CMU and ANU

BTW I think Andrew is on vacation for 3 weeks so might be offline.

/*
 * Routines to compress and uncompess tcp packets (for transmission
 * over low speed serial lines.
 *
 * Copyright (c) 1989 Regents of the University of California.
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
 * provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
 * duplicated in all such forms and that any documentation,
 * advertising materials, and other materials related to such

 * distribution and use acknowledge that the software was developed
 * by the University of California, Berkeley.  The name of the
 * University may not be used to endorse or promote products derived
 * from this software without specific prior written permission.
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
 * IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
 * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
 *