* CAN bus knowhow?
@ 2005-06-08 19:59 Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-06-08 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Maintainers

Hi Folks

Does anybody have any know how with CAN buses?

The contribution by Uwe needs reviewing by somebody.

        Thanks
                Andrew

* Re: CAN bus knowhow?
@ 2005-06-08 20:06 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-06-08 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 21:59 +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> Does anybody have any know how with CAN buses?
>
> The contribution by Uwe needs reviewing by somebody.

I do.  I'll try and look at it soon.  Does his assignment cover
such a work?

* Re: CAN bus knowhow?
@ 2005-06-09  9:55   ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2005-06-09  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-maintainers

Hi Gary and all eCos maintainers

Gary Thomas wrote:

>>Does anybody have any know how with CAN buses?
>>
>>The contribution by Uwe needs reviewing by somebody.
>
> I do.  I'll try and look at it soon.  Does his assignment cover
> such a work?

eCosCentric already has a generic CAN I/O layer and we are keen to
ensure that we do not end up with two incompatible CAN APIs in the eCos
world. I will ask Nick Garnett to review Uwe Kindler's patches to assess
the scope for merging of the two APIs. Please hold on checking anything
in until this review is complete.

John Dallaway

* Re: CAN bus knowhow?
@ 2005-06-14 14:49     ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2005-06-14 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-maintainers

John Dallaway wrote:

> eCosCentric already has a generic CAN I/O layer and we are keen to
> ensure that we do not end up with two incompatible CAN APIs in the eCos
> world. I will ask Nick Garnett to review Uwe Kindler's patches to assess
> the scope for merging of the two APIs. Please hold on checking anything
> in until this review is complete.

It is now clear that there is no scope for merging of the two APIs. The
eCosCentric API presents CAN peripherals as networked devices, while Uwe
Kindler's API adopts a serial I/O approach. Feel free to proceed with
the processing of Uwe Kindler's contribution.

John Dallaway
eCosCentric Limited

* Re: CAN bus knowhow?
@ 2005-06-14 14:58       ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-06-14 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: Gary Thomas, ecos-maintainers

> It is now clear that there is no scope for merging of the two APIs. The
> eCosCentric API presents CAN peripherals as networked devices, while Uwe
> Kindler's API adopts a serial I/O approach. Feel free to proceed with
> the processing of Uwe Kindler's contribution.

At some point in the distant future eCosCentric might contribute its
version. Do you have any suggestions to avoid package naming conflicts
etc. Or will you rename all your packages when you come to contribute
them?

        Thanks
                Andrew