* Re: question about copyrights
       [not found] <001601c275f5$b1a4f390$0500a8c0@sympatico.ca>
@ 2002-10-17 18:30 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-10-17 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H Girard; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

H Girard wrote:
> Hi Jonathan ,
>
> I have a question about a port of redboot to a new board using a Idt mips
> part that is almost complete . You might remember me because I copied you on
> a request to Idt to assign the copyright of their low level startup code (in
> assembler) to Redhat. I never got any response to that request.

Oh well.

> Some sections of this code had to be modified  substantially to work with
> the specific hardware caracteristics of that new board (and only that board
> unless someone copies exactly the schematics and bom ) while some others
> like cache inits where not. The pci initialisation found on one of their app
> notes was also used and integrated into redboot including some of my fixes
> to broken code found in the appnote.
>
> In order to be compliant with copyright laws and or avoid legal harassment
> is it sufficient to get a written approval that Idt's  original code was
> modified sufficiently that the code can be released in the public domain and
> anyone can use it freely .

Yes it would be in fact, provide they can also assure you and us that they
were the sole authors of that code. To be clear, you need to get their
consent that the code covered by their copyright used as a basis for your
code may be released into the public domain.

> One example of this is the memory testing code
> found in Michael Barr's code found in an online magazine
> http://www.embedded.com/mag.htm that states that anyone can use the code
> freely. Or is an actual assignement of the modified code required?

Yes, as a special exception we will accept the code without the
assignment. I've examined the blurb at the top of memtest.[ch], and that
is acceptable. Obviously you need to do as he says and retain the notice
banner.

It's not something we like to make a habit of, but for third party code we
do occasionally need to strike a balance.

Hope this helps,

Jifl

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-10-18  1:30 UTC | newest]