* Re: [ECOS] eCos 2.0 Beta Development CDROM
       [not found] <3E5A2D22.2070809@ecoscentric.com>
@ 2003-02-24 15:07 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-02-24 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Schuilenburg; +Cc: eCos Maintainers, Peter Vandenabeele

On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 07:33, Alex Schuilenburg wrote:
> eCosCentric, in conjunction with the eCos maintainers, are pleased to
> announce that they will be selling eCos 2.0 Beta Development CDROMs of
> the eCos 2.0 Beta release.

While I appreciate that you've added wording to try and explain that
eCosCentric could not have gotten to this point without the maintainers,
I think that this gives a wrong impression.  As far as I know, Mark,
Andrew and myself are not part of this offering, nor will we benefit
[directly] from any proceeds which might come of it.  The statement
implies otherwise.

Gary Thomas                 |
MLB Associates              |  Consulting for the
+1 (970) 229-1963           |    Embedded world
http://www.mlbassoc.com/    |
email: <gary@mlbassoc.com>  |
gpg: http://www.chez-thomas.org/gary/gpg_key.asc

* Re: [ECOS] eCos 2.0 Beta Development CDROM
@ 2003-02-24 15:51   ` Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2003-02-24 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Maintainers, Peter Vandenabeele

Hi Gary

Gary Thomas wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 07:33, Alex Schuilenburg wrote:
>
>>eCosCentric, in conjunction with the eCos maintainers, are pleased to
>>announce that they will be selling eCos 2.0 Beta Development CDROMs of
>>the eCos 2.0 Beta release.
>

> While I appreciate that you've added wording to try and explain that
> eCosCentric could not have gotten to this point without the maintainers,
> I think that this gives a wrong impression.  As far as I know, Mark,
> Andrew and myself are not part of this offering, nor will we benefit
> [directly] from any proceeds which might come of it.  The statement
> implies otherwise.

I apologise. I should have made our position clearer to you. I did not
mean to infer that the maintainers were selling the CDROM, merely that
they contributed to the release along with the rest of the community and
contributors.

As with eCos licensing, I sincerely doubt very much that we will make
much profit from sale of the CDROMs.  This is more a service for those
bound by download bandwidth, or those who don't want the problems of
downloading, installing, etc. Any profits made will be used to help fund
the eCos test farm, which hopefully will also become in part a public
resource. eCosCentric is already spending a significant amount of it's
own resources getting this together, as you may well guess, since we are
committed to the future of eCos and RedBoot.

As for actually getting the release together, we greatly appreciate the
help and contributions that you, Mark and Andrew have provided towards
the release. As you know, we have had all 4 maintainers here working
mostly full time for the last 2-3 months building, testing, debugging,
etc to get this far.

Everything on the CDROM will be available for download from the net
anyway, including the prebuilt toolchains that have consumed so much of
our time.

HTH
-- Alex