* eCos as an FSF project?
@ 2003-03-26 15:48 Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-03-26 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

On behalf of the eCos maintainers, I would like to express our interest in
possibly becoming an FSF project. As you may remember from
<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/ecos-license.html>, eCos is GPL'd, albeit
with a particular exception to make it more suitable for embedded use in a
way that reflected the maintainers' aims at that time.

To give some background, eCos was originally developed within Cygnus
Solutions, which was then purchased by Red Hat. At the start of 2002, we
changed the licence from the old GPL-incompatible RHEPL to the present
licence. Then a little later in 2002, Red Hat to all intents and purposes
dropped eCos as a project, primarily by virtue of dropping all but one of
the developers!

Since then eCos has continued development as a free project at
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/ (sources.redhat.com is not strictly a Red
Hat corporate machine - it hosts other projects including, as you know
binutils, gdb and gcc albeit with a different hostname), under the terms
of the GPL.

However we have been reappraising the future of where ownership of new
work should be vested. Right now, most of the code is, of course, still
copyrighted by Red Hat. For many contributions, we have continued to
include a copyright assignment to Red Hat as a condition of contribution,
at least for the time being. However for work by the maintainers
themselves[1] - a substantial amount of work since early 2002 - we have
retained copyright ourselves personally with a view to assigning this to
whatever entity we decide down the road should hold all future copyright,
whether it be the FSF or whoever. This was done so as to limit the power
of a single commercial company with no real future interest in eCos to
still control every bit of the intellectual property.

We have had discussions with Red Hat, and have now reached the conclusion
that Red Hat has no intention of assigning their copyright to any other
entity, and they are no longer replying to us on the subject so our
discussions are considered to be at an end.

We had originally considered and discounted approaching the FSF earlier
because we had in mind a particular goal for doing a form of opt-out
licence. We have now dropped these plans and are happy for eCos to
continue to be licensed to everyone equally under the eCos licence
(GPL+exception).

But now we are interested whether the FSF would consider adopting eCos as
a project. This is primarily because the FSF's goals are, naturally, well
aligned with those of pretty much any GPL'd software project; but also
because the alternative was either dropping copyright assignments
completely or creating our own not-for-profit entity to hold copyright
which is expensive, time-consuming, and difficult when only two of us are
US residents. We haven't yet reached a final definite decision, whether
for assigning to the FSF, dropping assignments completely or whatever
route, but to do this we'd need to know what is involved, whether the FSF
would be willing, and any consequences we should be made aware of.

So we would very much like to know if the FSF are prepared to adopt eCos,
and any ramifications for us. One particular issue we want to be sure of
is how much autonomy the eCos maintainers would get. Obviously we would
like to remain fully autonomous, but I don't know whether the FSF may
think differently!

One complication, which you probably guessed from the background, is that
the end result would be that eCos would become copyright *both* Red Hat
and the Free Software Foundation. While this isn't ideal and we wish it
could be avoided, at least it is better, from a legal point of view, than
dropping assignments and instead copyright being held by hundreds of
people, like the Linux kernel. Would this double copyright cause any
problems for the FSF?

Note the CC'd ecos-maintainers list is publically archived, so if you want
to reply privately you can do so to me and I'll forward to everyone
privately.

Thanks in advance!

Jifl

[1] John Dallaway, Nick Garnett, Andrew Lunn, Mark Salter, Gary Thomas,
Bart Veer, and myself.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-03-26 15:48 UTC | newest]