* drivers with proprietary code
@ 2003-04-02 13:13 Mark Salter
From: Mark Salter @ 2003-04-02 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-maintainers

I'm working on a board that has proprietary network hardware. The
CPU contains dedicated "network engines" that require binary-only
microcode to run. The interface between this microcode and the CPU
core is provided by a proprietary library which is available in
source form but under a license that requires permission for use
and distribution. I have written an eCos driver which incorporates
parts of this library to support the builtin ethernet ports in
RedBoot.

I'd like to get a sense of how folks feel about this sort of thing.
Its clear to me that such code goes against the tenets of s.r.c, so
I don't see this driver ever being hosted there. I think in this
case the board manufacturer should supply the driver as a .epk file.
So, I'm thinking that a link from the board's info page on s.r.c to
the board maker's site along with some instructions on building and
using the driver would be okay. What to others think?

--Mark