From: Jonathan Larmour <jifl@eCosCentric.com>
To: Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
Cc: eCos Maintainers <ecos-maintainers@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Patch policy
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 15:00:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Gary Thomas wrote:
> ** Disclaimer: I'm sure that I'm as guilty as anyone
>
> There seems to be a gap [i.e. failing] in the response to
> patches from outsiders.  Sometimes they are handled quite
> quickly, sometimes never.  I think we need to establish
> some policies on how to handle these efficiently.

The problem is setting time aside for the large ones. It can take a few
hours to thoroughly review a large contrib like, say, the new openRISC
port, even when there are few problems.

If it's any consolation, after 2.0 it's one of my priorities to deal with
the patch backlog... it's _somewhat_ been put on hold as "net time" for
now would be better put into 2.0, and FYI we're playing with some release
candidates here on various hosts so we're getting pretty close on that.

I know it's eCosCentric's view that a proportion of my time will become
dedicated to net stuff primarily for things like patches.

> At the very least, we should try and assign a patch to
> a maintainer within some short period of time and then it's
> that person's responsibility to take care of it - whatever
> the outcome.  As is, I see things come in that I'm comfortable
> with that sometimes I take up, sometimes I leave by.  In the
> latter case, I simply assume that someone else will handle
> it.  I think this is the failing.

FWIW I've been assuming the final buck passes to me, so unless anyone else
volunteers it's my problem. I do have every unapplied patch sitting here
(just in a big pile, but still), but I do have the ability to go back and
do it. And I still intend to, despite the age of some of the patches now!

Jifl