From: Jonathan Larmour <jifl@eCosCentric.com>
To: Alex Schuilenburg <alexs@ecoscentric.com>
Cc: eCos Maintainers <ecos-maintainers@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Patch policy
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 03:16:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Alex Schuilenburg wrote:

> The logo *is* since it contains the words ECOS and ECOS is a registered
> trademark of Red Hat.  I should have been more specific:  Under
> trademark law, colour, style, font, case, etc all are ignored if the
> text is trademarked. As such, the logo is just a stylised version of the
> text and hence is covered by the ECOS trademark.

I wonder why I've never seen them use (R) with the logo. Evidently it's a
good thing IANAL then ;).

>> believe you that there may well have been handouts with the TM
>> superscript... in fact I've just looked and the stickers I have here
>> do have the TM I see. But the laxness in applying the TM as evidenced
>> by the existing public use of logos by Red Hat makes it very difficult
>> to enforce.
>
> *Very* incorrect. Red Hat are *very* serious when it comes to defending
> their trademarks, and the trademarks do not have to be registered as you
> pointed out.  Not just the "Red Hat" trademark but other trademarks
> also. They have put companies out of business defending their trademark,
> the most recent was last March (IIRC) when they closed down some
> business that was selling versions of Linux with the same codename as
> their latest release.

But that's presumably "passing off" which is not what we are doing. It's
impossible to pass sourceware eCos off as a discontinued product ;-). Not
that it could be, having been established by Red Hat, etc.etc.

> And BTW, I believe you have to acknowledge trademarks by their owners. I
> don't think you can get away with "All registered Trade Marks are the
> property of their owners" anymore.  Std practice though is to be told of
> the infringement so you have the opportunity to put things right.  Just
> to be safe and proper, I do suggest you should put in a legal disclaimer.

I've done so by editting the footer, although it appears to be global to
the site, not just the front page. If you have a better idea please say
(or just go ahead and do as far as I'm concerned). e.g. if you know how to
add whole new pages to bugzilla.

Jifl