* [Fwd: RE: Possible deadlock in serial.c]
@ 2003-05-21 17:03 Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-05-21 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Maintainers

So, what is the expected policy?  I can't see any of us spending
tremendous resources trying to keep a release branch up-to-date.

Comments?

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates

[-- Attachment #2: Forwarded message - RE: Possible deadlock in serial.c --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2094 bytes --]

From: "David Marqvar (DAM)" <DAM@tt.dk>
To: 'Gary Thomas' <gary@mlbassoc.com>
Cc: eCos patches <ecos-patches@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: RE: Possible deadlock in serial.c
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 18:51:57 +0200

> This looks reasonable to me and I have applied the change (patch
> attached).
Good :-)

> I don't think that there will be any patches made to the 2.0 branch
> now that it has been "released".

Does that mean that the ecos-v2_0-branch will *not* be touched at all from
now on?
It comes as a surprise to me since I would expect bug-fixes with relevance
for eCos 2.0 to be committed to this branch as well - thus only new
features/major revisions would be kept solely in the latest branch.

/David Marqvar
Thrane & Thrane

* Re: [Fwd: RE: Possible deadlock in serial.c]
@ 2003-05-21 18:04 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-05-21 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

Gary Thomas wrote:
> So, what is the expected policy?  I can't see any of us spending
> tremendous resources trying to keep a release branch up-to-date.
>
> Comments?

The branch is tagged with a release tag, so I have no aversion if people
_want_ to check fixes in.... but my personal opinion is that I can't see
us doing another release based on the 2.0 branch. If we wanted to do one,
I would suggest cutting a new branch off the trunk. But there's nothing to
warrant that for a while yet IMHO.

BTW, sorry I've been well out of the loop recently. I'm still, er,
preoccupied (as per <http://worf.jifvik.org:9999/gallery/baby>). I'll try
and get back into things now.

Jifl

* ecos-v2_0-branch [ was Re: [Fwd: RE: Possible deadlock in serial.c] ]
@ 2003-05-21 19:01   ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2003-05-21 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Maintainers

I think the finite time we can devote to "eCos maintainer" activities is
better spent on improving the head (including the processing of contributed
patches) than maintaining a release branch which has now fulfilled its
purpose. I therefore propose that we consider the ecos-v2_0-branch to be
dead.

John Dallaway

> > So, what is the expected policy?  I can't see any of us spending
> > tremendous resources trying to keep a release branch up-to-date.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> The branch is tagged with a release tag, so I have no aversion if people
> _want_ to check fixes in.... but my personal opinion is that I can't see
> us doing another release based on the 2.0 branch. If we wanted to do one,
> I would suggest cutting a new branch off the trunk. But there's nothing
> to warrant that for a while yet IMHO.
>
> BTW, sorry I've been well out of the loop recently. I'm still, er,
> preoccupied (as per <http://worf.jifvik.org:9999/gallery/baby>). I'll try
> and get back into things now.
>
> Jifl

* Re: ecos-v2_0-branch [ was Re: [Fwd: RE: Possible deadlock in serial.c] ]
@ 2003-05-21 19:04     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-05-21 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 13:01, John Dallaway wrote:
> I think the finite time we can devote to "eCos maintainer" activities is
> better spent on improving the head (including the processing of contributed
> patches) than maintaining a release branch which has now fulfilled its
> purpose. I therefore propose that we consider the ecos-v2_0-branch to be
> dead.

This matches my feelings as well.

I want to thank everyone that worked to get 2.0 so such a release
could be made.  This, in itself, should be considered a milestone
in the history of eCos.  Now, on to the future :-)