* Re: contributing to eCos
       [not found] <BF1FE1855350A0479097B3A0D2A80EE0F60C25@hdsmsx402.hd.intel.com>
@ 2004-01-15 21:19 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2004-01-15 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daly, Jeffrey; +Cc: gary, ecos-maintainers

Daly, Jeffrey said:
> hi gary, now that i've made the current CVS version of eCos build redboot for my IXP2800 platform,
> i'm wondering how to submit patches to the mailing list?  are the patches expected to be created
> using 'cvs rdiff' ?  (i haven't used CVS for a while)

Since you'll be adding files to the repository, the best way
is to generate a "normal" diff.  Check out the CVS tree into
a new directory.  Then generate the diffs like this:
  % diff -uNr <orig-CVS> <your-modififed-CVS>

Then send the changes, along with a description of what's up,
to ecos-patches@ecos.sourceware.org  It's probably best to use
a MIME attachment, as many mailers mangle the patches beyond
usability.

Don't forget to make a ChangeLog file for every new package, as
well as ChangeLog entries for any files you needed to change within
the normal tree.

Finally, whatever you want to contribute has to have clear "title".
In particular, we'll need you (or Intel) to assign copyright over
the material to the FSF (the new steward of eCos).  You'll also
need to have appropriate copyright boilerplate on all the files.
Note: this process and the boilerplate will probably change soon
as the use of FSF is still new.

I've copied the rest of the maintainers into this, in case there
are any other questions or issues that I've missed.

Thanks for contributing to eCos.

Gary Thomas                 |
MLB Associates              |  Consulting for the
+1 (970) 229-1963           |    Embedded world
http://www.mlbassoc.com/    |
email: <gary@mlbassoc.com>  |
gpg: http://www.chez-thomas.org/gary/gpg_key.asc

* Re: contributing to eCos
@ 2004-01-16  1:44   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2004-01-16  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Daly, Jeffrey, ecos-maintainers

Gary Thomas wrote:
> Daly, Jeffrey said:
>
>>hi gary, now that i've made the current CVS version of eCos build redboot for my IXP2800 platform,
>>i'm wondering how to submit patches to the mailing list?  are the patches expected to be created
>>using 'cvs rdiff' ?  (i haven't used CVS for a while)
>

> Since you'll be adding files to the repository, the best way
> is to generate a "normal" diff.  Check out the CVS tree into
> a new directory.  Then generate the diffs like this:
>   % diff -uNr <orig-CVS> <your-modififed-CVS>
>
> Then send the changes, along with a description of what's up,
> to ecos-patches@ecos.sourceware.org  It's probably best to use
> a MIME attachment, as many mailers mangle the patches beyond
> usability.
 >
> Don't forget to make a ChangeLog file for every new package, as
> well as ChangeLog entries for any files you needed to change within
> the normal tree.

An alternative and more reliable means to submit a patch is to use our
bugzilla system. These pages contain full details about generating
patches, assignments, what makes a good patch etc.:
http://ecos.sourceware.org/patches.html

That's not to say a mail to ecos-patches would be ignored, just that in
bugzilla it can be tracked properly to make sure it gets checked in.

> Finally, whatever you want to contribute has to have clear "title".
> In particular, we'll need you (or Intel) to assign copyright over
> the material to the FSF (the new steward of eCos).  You'll also
> need to have appropriate copyright boilerplate on all the files.
> Note: this process and the boilerplate will probably change soon
> as the use of FSF is still new.

Unfortunately since this is a very recent development, the arrangement
with the FSF hasn't been properly set up yet - we don't know yet whether
they are accepting assignments for eCos yet, and we don't yet have access
to the system that lets us know if an assignment has been made. So you can
follow the instructions here about assigning to eCosCentric on a temporary
basis, or you can hold off temporarily until we find out from the FSF
what's going on: http://ecos.sourceware.org/assign.html

Thanks!

Jifl