* ecos logo
@ 2004-10-02 13:41 Larry Marsh
From: Larry Marsh @ 2004-10-02 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-maintainers

Hi,
i was wondering if the ecos logo is copyrighted,
and can it be used on products running eCos RTOS -
(for example in documentation, on product's box etc.)
I asked the free software foundation about that but
they told me to write here. Can anybody help?

Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,
larry

* Re: ecos logo
@ 2004-10-04  8:04 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2004-10-04  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Marsh; +Cc: ecos-maintainers

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 04:41:01PM +0300, Larry Marsh wrote:
> Hi,
> i was wondering if the ecos logo is copyrighted,
> and can it be used on products running eCos RTOS -
> (for example in documentation, on product's box etc.)
> I asked the free software foundation about that but
> they told me to write here. Can anybody help?

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-maintainers/2003-05/msg00022.html

might be of some help. Since its a Trade Mark of RedHat i guess you
really need to ask RedHats lawyers for a definitive answer.

       Andrew

* Re: ecos logo
@ 2004-10-04  9:37   ` Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2004-10-04  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn, Larry Marsh; +Cc: ecos-maintainers

Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 04:41:01PM +0300, Larry Marsh wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>i was wondering if the ecos logo is copyrighted,
>>and can it be used on products running eCos RTOS -
>>(for example in documentation, on product's box etc.)
>>I asked the free software foundation about that but
>>they told me to write here. Can anybody help?
>

> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-maintainers/2003-05/msg00022.html
>
> might be of some help. Since its a Trade Mark of RedHat i guess you
> really need to ask RedHats lawyers for a definitive answer.

I can save you the trouble since I know what getting a response from Red
Hat lawyers is like (actually, so do the maintainers - we are now in the
10th month since the Red Hat -> FSF assignment announcement and still no
assignment)

First, IANAL.

Next, everyone can have fair use of the eCos trademark as long as they
are referring to the real eCos and acknowledge ownership.

Lastly, use of the stylized version of the logo.  There is a difference
between the copyright of the logo and the eCos trademark, especially the
use thereof.  You can use the trademark as above, but stylized versions
that have copyrights do require permission before use.  That said, we
(while at Cygnus and Red Hat) were aware of other people using the logo
and never enforced copyright in its use.  Since leaving, I doubt their
position has changed, espcially since their announcement to donate the
copyright of ecos and redboot code to the FSF. Red Hat will most likely
have no interest in suddenly starting to enforce the copyright. By all
means contact Red Hat legal if you want to make your use of the logo
watertight, although I doubt you will find their lack of response helpful.

In all likelihood, the copyrighted logo will also be transferred to the
FSF, and then it will be their responsibility and that of the
maintainers what they wish to do regarding permitting use of the
copyrighted logo. Hence, IMHO, you can use the logo as you suggest. The
risk Red Hat will suddenly start enforcing copyright is small. That
said, once (if) copyright has been transferred to the FSF, it is the FSF
and ecos maintainers that will decide on its use outside the FSF.

-- Alex