* ecos.sourceware.org and mailing list request
@ 2003-04-23 17:30 Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-04-23 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

Hi guys,

Another couple of favours to ask of those who have the root runes of
power... but especially Ian as he is the owner of sourceware.org...

Would it be possible to add ecos.sourceware.org as a subdomain/host and
pointing at sources.redhat.com's IP address? That along with recognising
ecos.sourceware.org in the s.r.c web server as a virtual host going to
/ecos/ ?

Similarly underneath that could we have bugs.ecos.sourceware.org as a
CNAME pointing at bugzilla.ecoscentric.com please?

Finally, could someone set up the ecos-bugs mailing list slightly
differently.... right now it's set up only to receive mail from
bugzilla@redhat.com. However due to unfortunate unresponsiveness by the
bugzilla.redhat.com maintainer I've finally given up with this approach
:-|. So instead could that restriction be temporarily removed? A bit later
I'll want something like bugzilla-admin-daemon@ecoscentric.com to replace
it, but not yet to be sure there aren't any teething troubles.

If there's any way I could help (e.g. by "borrowing" root to save you guys
time) then please just say. I don't want to cause you all hassle!

Thanks!

Jifl

                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2003-04-23 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: overseers, eCos Maintainers

Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org> writes:

> Would it be possible to add ecos.sourceware.org as a subdomain/host
> and pointing at sources.redhat.com's IP address?

Done.

> That along with
> recognising ecos.sourceware.org in the s.r.c web server as a virtual
> host going to /ecos/ ?

Done.  Note that the GIF is broken on ecos.sourceware.org, though it
works on sourceware.org/ecos, because the IMG SRC uses an absolute
path.  There may be other similar problems.

I kept the same CustomLog and ErrorLog, as was also done by some of
the other virtual hosts.  However, the current log format does not
indicate which host was requested.  I recommend adding %v at the start
of the `combined' LogFormat line in httpd.conf, which will put the
virtual host at the start of each line.  However, I didn't want to do
that without checking with other people.

> Similarly underneath that could we have bugs.ecos.sourceware.org as a
> CNAME pointing at bugzilla.ecoscentric.com please?

Done.

> Finally, could someone set up the ecos-bugs mailing list slightly
> differently.... right now it's set up only to receive mail from
> bugzilla@redhat.com. However due to unfortunate unresponsiveness by
> the bugzilla.redhat.com maintainer I've finally given up with this
> approach :-|. So instead could that restriction be temporarily
> removed? A bit later I'll want something like
> bugzilla-admin-daemon@ecoscentric.com to replace it, but not yet to be
> sure there aren't any teething troubles.

I commented out the line in ~alias/.qmail-ecos-bugs which I believe
was enforcing this restriction.  I haven't tested it.

> If there's any way I could help (e.g. by "borrowing" root to save you
> guys time) then please just say. I don't want to cause you all hassle!

As they say, lend somebody root for five minutes, and they have it for
all eternity.

Please let us know about any problems.  Other overseers, please let me
know if I messed something out.

Ian

* Re: ecos.sourceware.org and mailing list request
@ 2003-04-23 18:28   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-04-23 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: overseers, eCos Maintainers

Wow, super speedy turnaround, thanks!

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org> writes:
>>That along with
>>recognising ecos.sourceware.org in the s.r.c web server as a virtual
>>host going to /ecos/ ?
>

> Done.  Note that the GIF is broken on ecos.sourceware.org, though it
> works on sourceware.org/ecos, because the IMG SRC uses an absolute
> path.  There may be other similar problems.

Probably, but now we'll be able to find them more easily :-).

> I kept the same CustomLog and ErrorLog, as was also done by some of
> the other virtual hosts.  However, the current log format does not
> indicate which host was requested.  I recommend adding %v at the start
> of the `combined' LogFormat line in httpd.conf, which will put the
> virtual host at the start of each line.  However, I didn't want to do
> that without checking with other people.

It will make log analysis difficult for those who do that certainly, but
changing the format will also do that.

>>Finally, could someone set up the ecos-bugs mailing list slightly
>>differently.... right now it's set up only to receive mail from
>>bugzilla@redhat.com. However due to unfortunate unresponsiveness by
>>the bugzilla.redhat.com maintainer I've finally given up with this
>>approach :-|. So instead could that restriction be temporarily
>>removed? A bit later I'll want something like
>>bugzilla-admin-daemon@ecoscentric.com to replace it, but not yet to be
>>sure there aren't any teething troubles.
>

> I commented out the line in ~alias/.qmail-ecos-bugs which I believe
> was enforcing this restriction.  I haven't tested it.

It appears to work fine, thanks.

>>If there's any way I could help (e.g. by "borrowing" root to save you
>>guys time) then please just say. I don't want to cause you all hassle!
>
> As they say, lend somebody root for five minutes, and they have it for
> all eternity.

Heh :-).

Thanks again,

Jifl

@ 2003-04-23 19:27   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-04-23 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, ecos-maintainers, jifl

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 11:18:04AM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org> writes:
>I kept the same CustomLog and ErrorLog, as was also done by some of
>the other virtual hosts.  However, the current log format does not
>indicate which host was requested.  I recommend adding %v at the start
>of the `combined' LogFormat line in httpd.conf, which will put the
>virtual host at the start of each line.  However, I didn't want to do
>that without checking with other people.

We've usually just pulled out the references to the site into its own
log file haen't we?

cgf

* Re: ecos.sourceware.org and mailing list request
@ 2003-04-23 20:51     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2003-04-23 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: overseers, ecos-maintainers, jifl

Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 11:18:04AM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> >Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org> writes:
> >I kept the same CustomLog and ErrorLog, as was also done by some of
> >the other virtual hosts.  However, the current log format does not
> >indicate which host was requested.  I recommend adding %v at the start
> >of the `combined' LogFormat line in httpd.conf, which will put the
> >virtual host at the start of each line.  However, I didn't want to do
> >that without checking with other people.
>
> We've usually just pulled out the references to the site into its own
> log file haen't we?

That would work, of course.  It is not currently done consistently.
See www.bzip2.org and xfree86.cygwin.org.

@ 2003-04-23 21:07       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-04-23 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, ecos-maintainers, jifl

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 01:51:42PM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 11:18:04AM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>> >Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org> writes:
>> >I kept the same CustomLog and ErrorLog, as was also done by some of
>> >the other virtual hosts.  However, the current log format does not
>> >indicate which host was requested.  I recommend adding %v at the start
>> >of the `combined' LogFormat line in httpd.conf, which will put the
>> >virtual host at the start of each line.  However, I didn't want to do
>> >that without checking with other people.
>>
>> We've usually just pulled out the references to the site into its own
>> log file haen't we?
>
>That would work, of course.  It is not currently done consistently.
>See www.bzip2.org and xfree86.cygwin.org.

Ok.  I didn't know about bzip2.  We haven't cared about cygwin.com so
that wasn't an issue.  I thought that when it was an issue we made a new
log file.

Adding a new field to the combined format would probably break Jason's
statistics reporting software.  But, then, it's been broken since I upgraded
apache to v2 so I guess we could rectify the host thing when we eventually
fix this.

It's fine with me if you want to add this, Ian.  I think we need Jason's
buy-in on this one, though.

cgf

* Re: ecos.sourceware.org and mailing list request
@ 2003-04-23 22:19         ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2003-04-23 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, ecos-maintainers, jifl

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 05:08:16PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> It's fine with me if you want to add this, Ian.  I think we need Jason's
> buy-in on this one, though.

I don't much care.  I switched from my own log format to the
combined_log format a few months ago specifically so tools like
analog or webalizer could be run on the logs without
customization/modification, but AFAIK no one has ever done anything
like that so it's hardly a deal breaker.

(analog is particularly customizable, so it really wouldn't be hard
to support any of the log formats we've used over the years.)

We're under code freeze pressure at Apple right now so I can't get
into this in depth, but I will update the scripts some time this
weekend to handle whatever is done.

* Re: ecos.sourceware.org and mailing list request
@ 2003-05-01  2:24   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-05-01  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: overseers, eCos Maintainers

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> Please let us know about any problems.  Other overseers, please let me
> know if I messed something out.

Sorry to be a pain but it needs a couple of fixes. To ensure consistent
use of the name, we'd need the faq-o-matic and mailing list archives to be
available there. This should just be a case of adding the following lines
inside the VirtualHost block for ecos.sourceware.org (inspired by other
configs there):

   RedirectMatch permanent ^/ml/$  http://ecos.sourceware.org/intouch.html
   RedirectMatch permanent ^/ml$   http://ecos.sourceware.org/intouch.html
   Alias       /ml/        /var/www/sourceware/ml/
   Alias       /fom-serv/  /sourceware/faq-o-matic/fom-serv/
   Alias       /htdig/     /var/www/sourceware/htdocs/htdig/
   Alias       /img/       /var/www/sourceware/htdocs/img/
   AliasMatch  ^/ecos/(.*) /var/www/sourceware/htdocs/ecos/$1
   ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/   /var/www/sourceware/cgi-bin/
   ScriptAlias /fom/       /sourceware/faq-o-matic/cgi-bin/

Also since it seems peopled have now resolved to separate out the logs to
a CustomLog for each virtual host, that could be done too.

Jifl

@ 2003-05-01  6:33     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2003-05-01  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: overseers, eCos Maintainers

Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org> writes:

> Sorry to be a pain but it needs a couple of fixes. To ensure
> consistent use of the name, we'd need the faq-o-matic and mailing list
> archives to be available there. This should just be a case of adding
> the following lines inside the VirtualHost block for
> ecos.sourceware.org (inspired by other configs there):
>
>    RedirectMatch permanent ^/ml/$  http://ecos.sourceware.org/intouch.html
>    RedirectMatch permanent ^/ml$   http://ecos.sourceware.org/intouch.html
>    Alias       /ml/        /var/www/sourceware/ml/
>    Alias       /fom-serv/  /sourceware/faq-o-matic/fom-serv/
>    Alias       /htdig/     /var/www/sourceware/htdocs/htdig/
>    Alias       /img/       /var/www/sourceware/htdocs/img/
>    AliasMatch  ^/ecos/(.*) /var/www/sourceware/htdocs/ecos/$1
>    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/   /var/www/sourceware/cgi-bin/
>    ScriptAlias /fom/       /sourceware/faq-o-matic/cgi-bin/

I did this.  Of course, now the book cover on the main page doesn't
work, because img/... gets redirected to the upper level img
directory.  You'll have to decide how you want to fix that.

> Also since it seems peopled have now resolved to separate out the logs
> to a CustomLog for each virtual host, that could be done too.

Done.  Logs now go to ecos-combined_log and ecos-error_log in
/var/log/httpd.

@ 2003-05-01 22:29       ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-05-01 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: overseers, eCos Maintainers

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org> writes:
>>   RedirectMatch permanent ^/ml/$  http://ecos.sourceware.org/intouch.html
>>   RedirectMatch permanent ^/ml$   http://ecos.sourceware.org/intouch.html
>>   Alias       /ml/        /var/www/sourceware/ml/
>>   Alias       /fom-serv/  /sourceware/faq-o-matic/fom-serv/
>>   Alias       /htdig/     /var/www/sourceware/htdocs/htdig/
>>   Alias       /img/       /var/www/sourceware/htdocs/img/
>>   AliasMatch  ^/ecos/(.*) /var/www/sourceware/htdocs/ecos/$1
>>   ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/   /var/www/sourceware/cgi-bin/
>>   ScriptAlias /fom/       /sourceware/faq-o-matic/cgi-bin/
>

> I did this.  Of course, now the book cover on the main page doesn't
> work, because img/... gets redirected to the upper level img
> directory.  You'll have to decide how you want to fix that.

Oops! I didn't notice that. It turns out we don't use the /img/ directory
in fact - I just copied it "in case" because the other sites had it, but
didn't notice we already had an img/ :-|. My mistake.

So can some benevolent deity remove just that Alias line please? Sorry to
be a pest!

Jifl

@ 2003-05-01 22:37         ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2003-05-01 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: overseers, eCos Maintainers

Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org> writes:

> Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> > Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org> writes:
> >>   RedirectMatch permanent ^/ml/$  http://ecos.sourceware.org/intouch.html
> >>   RedirectMatch permanent ^/ml$   http://ecos.sourceware.org/intouch.html
> >>   Alias       /ml/        /var/www/sourceware/ml/
> >>   Alias       /fom-serv/  /sourceware/faq-o-matic/fom-serv/
> >>   Alias       /htdig/     /var/www/sourceware/htdocs/htdig/
> >>   Alias       /img/       /var/www/sourceware/htdocs/img/
> >>   AliasMatch  ^/ecos/(.*) /var/www/sourceware/htdocs/ecos/$1
> >>   ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/   /var/www/sourceware/cgi-bin/
> >>   ScriptAlias /fom/       /sourceware/faq-o-matic/cgi-bin/
> > I did this.  Of course, now the book cover on the main page doesn't
> > work, because img/... gets redirected to the upper level img
> > directory.  You'll have to decide how you want to fix that.
>
> Oops! I didn't notice that. It turns out we don't use the /img/
> directory in fact - I just copied it "in case" because the other sites
> had it, but didn't notice we already had an img/ :-|. My mistake.
>
> So can some benevolent deity remove just that Alias line please? Sorry
> to be a pest!

Done.

Ian