public inbox for elfutils@sourceware.org
* Elfutils Code of Conduct
@ 2024-03-28 16:25 Aaron Merey
From: Aaron Merey @ 2024-03-28 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: elfutils-devel

Hi all,

I'd like to propose a formal code of conduct for elfutils.  Elfutils
already has a brief, informal code of conduct.  The CONTRIBUTING
document in the elfutils source directory states that:

   committers/maintainers who repeatedly ignore the above guidelines,
   are hostile or offensive towards other committers or contributors,
   and don't correct their behavior after being asked by other committers
   will be removed as maintainer/committer.

I'd like to replace this with a more formal code of conduct that applies
to anyone participating in the elfutils community and better describes the
types of behaviors that are either encouraged or unwelcome.  The code of
conduct should also outline how complaints will be handled and who is
responsible for enforcement.

The Contributor Covenant [1] is a code of conduct that I believe satisfies
these goals.  Mark has already recommended that elfutils adopt the
Contributor Covenant [2].  It is also used by a variety of open source
projects including Golang, Curl and the Linux kernel.

This code of conduct includes a committee to handle any complaints or
concerns that fall under the code.  Mark and I have offered to be on this
committee.  If anyone else would like to be a member of the elfutils code
of conduct committee, please let us know!

I've included the text of Contributor Covenant v2.1 below with changes
to the following sections:

Enforcement Responsibilities: Clarified who is a "community leader".
Scope: Used examples specific to elfutils.
Enforcement: Mention our code of conduct committee and names of members.

Any other comments or questions regarding an elfutils code of conduct are
also welcome.

Aaron

[1] https://www.contributor-covenant.org/
[2] https://inbox.sourceware.org/elfutils-devel/63f6aa114966e0d49d18497c336afa8d3965e24d.camel@klomp.org/#t

---

# Contributor Covenant Code of Conduct

## Our Pledge

We as members, contributors, and leaders pledge to make participation in
our community a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of
age, body size, visible or invisible disability, ethnicity, sex
characteristics, gender identity and expression, level of experience,
education, socio-economic status, nationality, personal appearance,
race, caste, color, religion, or sexual identity and orientation.

We pledge to act and interact in ways that contribute to an open, welcoming,
diverse, inclusive, and healthy community.

## Our Standards

Examples of behavior that contributes to a positive environment for our
community include:

* Demonstrating empathy and kindness toward other people
* Being respectful of differing opinions, viewpoints, and experiences
* Giving and gracefully accepting constructive feedback
* Accepting responsibility and apologizing to those affected by our mistakes,
  and learning from the experience
* Focusing on what is best not just for us as individuals, but for the
  overall community

Examples of unacceptable behavior include:

* The use of sexualized language or imagery, and sexual attention or
  advances of any kind
* Trolling, insulting or derogatory comments, and personal or political
  attacks
* Public or private harassment
* Publishing others' private information, such as a physical or email
  address, without their explicit permission
* Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a
  professional setting

## Enforcement Responsibilities

Community leaders (i.e. regular contributors and/or those with elfutils
git commit access) are responsible for clarifying and enforcing our standards
of acceptable behavior and will take appropriate and fair corrective action
offensive, or harmful.

Community leaders have the right and responsibility to remove, edit, or
reject comments, commits, code, wiki edits, issues, and other contributions
that are not aligned to this Code of Conduct, and will communicate reasons
for moderation decisions when appropriate.

## Scope

This Code of Conduct applies within all community spaces, such as the
elfutils IRC channel, website, mailing list and bug reports. It also
applies when an individual is officially representing the community
in public spaces. Examples of representing our community include acting
as an appointed representative at an online or offline event.

## Enforcement

Instances of abusive, harassing, or otherwise unacceptable behavior may
be reported to the elfutils code of conduct committee at
elfutils-conduct@sourceware.org.

The current members of the elfutils code of conduct committee are:
Mark Wielaard
Aaron Merey

All complaints will be reviewed and investigated promptly and fairly.

All community leaders are obligated to respect the privacy and security
of the reporter of any incident.

## Enforcement Guidelines

Community leaders will follow these Community Impact Guidelines in
determining the consequences for any action they deem in violation of
this Code of Conduct:

### 1. Correction

Community Impact: Use of inappropriate language or other behavior deemed
unprofessional or unwelcome in the community.

Consequence: A private, written warning from community leaders, providing
clarity around the nature of the violation and an explanation of why the
behavior was inappropriate. A public apology may be requested.

### 2. Warning

Community Impact: A violation through a single incident or series of
actions.

Consequence: A warning with consequences for continued behavior. No
interaction with the people involved, including unsolicited interaction
with those enforcing the Code of Conduct, for a specified period of time.
This includes avoiding interactions in community spaces as well as external
channels like social media. Violating these terms may lead to a temporary
or permanent ban.

### 3. Temporary Ban

Community Impact: A serious violation of community standards, including
sustained inappropriate behavior.

Consequence: A temporary ban from any sort of interaction or public
communication with the community for a specified period of time. No public
or private interaction with the people involved, including unsolicited
interaction with those enforcing the Code of Conduct, is allowed during
this period. Violating these terms may lead to a permanent ban.

### 4. Permanent Ban

Community Impact: Demonstrating a pattern of violation of community
standards, including sustained inappropriate behavior, harassment of an
individual, or aggression toward or disparagement of classes of individuals.

Consequence: A permanent ban from any sort of public interaction within the
community.

## Attribution

This Code of Conduct is adapted from the Contributor Covenant, version
2.1, available at
https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/2/1/code_of_conduct.html.

Community Impact Guidelines were inspired by Mozilla’s code of conduct
enforcement ladder.

For answers to common questions about this code of conduct, see the FAQ at
https://www.contributor-covenant.org/faq. Translations are available at
https://www.contributor-covenant.org/translations.

* Re: Elfutils Code of Conduct
@ 2024-04-07 17:34 ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2024-04-07 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Merey; +Cc: elfutils-devel

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 12:25:32PM -0400, Aaron Merey wrote:
> This code of conduct includes a committee to handle any complaints or
> concerns that fall under the code.  Mark and I have offered to be on this
> committee.  If anyone else would like to be a member of the elfutils code
> of conduct committee, please let us know!
>
> I've included the text of Contributor Covenant v2.1 below with changes
> to the following sections:
>
> Enforcement Responsibilities: Clarified who is a "community leader".
> Scope: Used examples specific to elfutils.
> Enforcement: Mention our code of conduct committee and names of members.
>
> Any other comments or questions regarding an elfutils code of conduct are
> also welcome.

Aaron and I already discussed this off-list before he proposed it, so
it isn't surprising I am happy to adopt this. The only small issue I
see is that both Aaron and I get paid by the same company. So it would
be nice to get someone who isn't affiliated with Red Hat join the
committee. But if we don't get any volunteers for that in say a week,
I would suggest we adopt it as is. Unless there are any objections or
questions we cannot answer of course.

Cheers,

Mark