public inbox for elfutils@sourceware.org
* Question
@ 2021-04-30 16:48 John Vassiliades
From: John Vassiliades @ 2021-04-30 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: elfutils-devel

Hi, my name is John V. and I am seeking to use libelf.

I notice from the Elfutils web page at sourceware.org/elfutils under the section entitled “License” that “The libraries and backends are dual GPLv2+/LGPLv3+.”

Does this mean that I can pick and choose to use libelf under either the GPLv2+ or under LGPLv3+ and if so, how do I indicate which license I have chosen to use?

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you. John

________________________________

This email communication may contain CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION WHICH ALSO MAY BE LEGALLY PRIVILEGED and is intended only for the use of the intended recipients identified above. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized review, use, dissemination, distribution, downloading, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by reply email, delete the communication and destroy all copies.

GORDON REES SCULLY MANSUKHANI, LLP
YOUR 50 STATE PARTNER®
http://www.grsm.com

* Re: Question
@ 2021-04-30 17:06 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2021-04-30 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Vassiliades; +Cc: elfutils-devel

Hi -

> Hi, my name is John V. and I am seeking to use libelf.

Welcome.

> I notice from the Elfutils web page at sourceware.org/elfutils under
> the section entitled “License” that “The libraries and backends are
> dual GPLv2+/LGPLv3+.”

Yes.

> Does this mean that I can pick and choose to use libelf under either
> the GPLv2+ or under LGPLv3+ and if so, how do I indicate which
> license I have chosen to use?

The canonical answer is ... "ask your own lawyer".

AIUI, the informal answer is: you choose.  You don't have to make a
statement about what you're doing.  Sometimes people communicate it by
removing one or the other license permission in a derived work.  Or if
e.g. an end user asks you for source code for a combined work, you
need to do it under the rules for one or both.

- FChE

* Re: Question
@ 2021-04-30 17:59   ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2021-04-30 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler, John Vassiliades; +Cc: elfutils-devel

On Fri, 2021-04-30 at 13:06 -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler via Elfutils-devel wrote:
> AIUI, the informal answer is: you choose.  You don't have to make a
> statement about what you're doing.  Sometimes people communicate it by
> removing one or the other license permission in a derived work.  Or if
> e.g. an end user asks you for source code for a combined work, you
> need to do it under the rules for one or both.

Yes, you don't actually have to choose, the simplest is to just
redistribute under both, the actual license text says:

   This file is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
   it under the terms of either

     * the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the Free
       Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at
       your option) any later version

   or

     * the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
       Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at
       your option) any later version

   or both in parallel, as here.

Cheers,

Mark