public inbox for elfutils@sourceware.org
* Elfutils new reelease
@ 2018-11-07 14:16 Karbownik, Anna
From: Karbownik, Anna @ 2018-11-07 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: elfutils-devel

Hi,

I'd like to ask you whether you plan to release 0.175 elfutils version?
If so, when are you going to announce it and will it contain all the master branch changes since 0.174 release (especially all the CVE security patches)?

Best regards,
Anna Karbownik

* Re: Elfutils new release
@ 2018-11-07 14:33 ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2018-11-07 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karbownik, Anna, elfutils-devel

On Wed, 2018-11-07 at 14:15 +0000, Karbownik, Anna wrote:
> I'd like to ask you whether you plan to release 0.175 elfutils
> version?

There are enough (small) new features and bug fixes to do a new
release. Lets aim for next week.

There are still a couple of patches cooking on the mailinglist and
there is one outstanding bug related to the new eu-strip --reloc-debug-
sections-only option with relocations against compressed debug sections
(but only on armhf and ppc64) which will need to be resolved.

> If so, when are you going to announce it

Once all patches are in and the bug is resolved. Hopefully end of this
week. I'll announce the intent to do a new 0.175 release on this
mailinglist. Then after a couple of days, I'll do the release unless
more issues are found. Hopefully somewhere next week.

>  and will it contain all the master branch changes since 0.174
> release (especially all the CVE security patches)?

Yes, the release will be made from the git master branch.

BTW. I don't think the new CVEs filed are really that important. Or at
least very low severity. The descriptions are very misleading. Some are
simply bugs that cannot be exploited. But it is of course always a good
idea to fix any bugs found.

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: Elfutils new release
@ 2018-11-14 12:24   ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2018-11-14 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karbownik, Anna, elfutils-devel

On Wed, 2018-11-07 at 15:33 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-11-07 at 14:15 +0000, Karbownik, Anna wrote:
> > I'd like to ask you whether you plan to release 0.175 elfutils
> > version?
>
> There are enough (small) new features and bug fixes to do a new
> release. Lets aim for next week.
>
> There are still a couple of patches cooking on the mailinglist and
> there is one outstanding bug related to the new eu-strip --reloc-debug-
> sections-only option with relocations against compressed debug sections
> (but only on armhf and ppc64) which will need to be resolved.
>
> > If so, when are you going to announce it
>
> Once all patches are in and the bug is resolved. Hopefully end of this
> week. I'll announce the intent to do a new 0.175 release on this
> mailinglist. Then after a couple of days, I'll do the release unless
> more issues are found. Hopefully somewhere next week.

Fixing that one bug triggered another bug, updating the buildbot to
Fedora 29 showed a bug and extra testing with gold showed yet another
issue. But everything looks pretty good now. Despite (or maybe thanks
to) the extra fixes going in I feel pretty good about the next release.

I have prepared the source code for the next release and would like to
release it on Friday unless some blocker bug is found before then.

Cheers,

Mark