public inbox for elfutils@sourceware.org
* windows patches
@ 2017-05-05 10:12 Ulf Hermann
From: Ulf Hermann @ 2017-05-05 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: elfutils-devel

Hi,

all patches I consider suitable for upstream right now have been posted here now. With all of them applied you still don't get useful elfutils on windows, as for example the date preservation in some of the tools doesn't work. I have more patches that just blatantly drop functionality I don't need in order to make things work. I don't think you want those and in fact I'm fairly sure I'm stretching it already, so I'll stop here.

I might come back with more patches when I find a better solution to the remaining issues.

cheers,
Ulf

* Re: windows patches
@ 2017-05-06 11:30 ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2017-05-06 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Hermann; +Cc: elfutils-devel

Hi Ulf,

On Thu, 2017-05-04 at 18:56 +0200, Ulf Hermann wrote:
> all patches I consider suitable for upstream right now have been
> posted here now. With all of them applied you still don't get useful
> elfutils on windows, as for example the date preservation in some of
> the tools doesn't work. I have more patches that just blatantly drop
> functionality I don't need in order to make things work. I don't think
> you want those and in fact I'm fairly sure I'm stretching it already,
> so I'll stop here.
>
> I might come back with more patches when I find a better solution to
> the remaining issues.

Thanks a lot for all your work and posting the patches.
I will go through them next week.

I quickly scanned some just now. Some seem fine to go in. But others are
a bit more iffy. I think some should really go towards gnulib if we are
going to use that anyway so other projects get the same portability
benefits. And I do worry a bit about others, like the O_BINARY one for
example that patches every open call. That seems impossible to properly
maintain and is clearly intended for a platform that is really not even
POSIX/Unix-like.

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: windows patches
@ 2017-05-08 12:10   ` Ulf Hermann
From: Ulf Hermann @ 2017-05-08 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard; +Cc: elfutils-devel

Hi Mark,

> Thanks a lot for all your work and posting the patches.
> I will go through them next week.

Thanks for reviewing them. The ones that got accepted will already make my life easier.

> I quickly scanned some just now. Some seem fine to go in. But others are
> a bit more iffy. I think some should really go towards gnulib if we are
> going to use that anyway so other projects get the same portability
> benefits.

Let's do the easy ones first. I will handle the gnulib and glibc material when I get back in fall.

> And I do worry a bit about others, like the O_BINARY one for
> example that patches every open call. That seems impossible to properly
> maintain and is clearly intended for a platform that is really not even
> POSIX/Unix-like.

If we want elfutils to work on windows, we need to take care of the text vs. binary issue somehow. If you open a file in text mode, any "\n" not prefixed by "\r" will be replaced with "\r\n" when reading or writing. This is quite disastrous. I couldn't come up with anything better than just adding O_BINARY everywhere. If there is a better way, I'll be happy to change the code.

cheers,
Ulf