public inbox for fortran@gcc.gnu.org
* Interested in participating in Fortran study to compile very large modules
@ 2022-04-22 20:46 William Carter
From: William Carter @ 2022-04-22 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fortran@gcc.gnu.org

Hello,

I am an engineer for the nuclear power industry.  As part of my master’s thesis I developed a model of a fuel pin using Fortran.  At the time I was working with a cheap Microsoft compiler.  It was version 5.1 if I remember correctly.  My model does 3D finite differencing and is rather demanding on the compiler.  My Microsoft compiler was pretty limiting on the size of the modules I could compile.  Typically I was working with a 7x7x7 spatial array with a 5 properties at each node.  Everything was in double precision.  So it was 7x7x7x5.  I could juggle these around, but I had to say within this maximum or the compiler would not work.  I would like to work with MUCH larger arrays.  I am thinking 100x100x100x5.  Again in double precision. So I need a better compiler.  Can you help?

Regards,

Bill Carter

Sent from Mail for Windows

* Re: Interested in participating in Fortran study to compile very large modules
@ 2022-04-24 14:38 ` Arjen Markus
From: Arjen Markus @ 2022-04-24 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Carter; +Cc: fortran

MicroSoft's Fortran compiler is a very old compiler that has not been
maintained in a very long time. The gfortran compiler and the Intel Fortran
oneAPI compiler, both freely available, would easily handle such arrays as
you mention. What system are you running on?

Regards,

Arjen

@ 2022-04-25 10:41   ` William Carter
From: William Carter @ 2022-04-25 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arjen.markus895; +Cc: fortran

Hello.  I have a windows 10 home 64 bit operating system.   Thanks for getting back to me

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 9:39, Arjen Markus<arjen.markus895@gmail.com> wrote:   MicroSoft's Fortran compiler is a very old compiler that has not been maintained in a very long time. The gfortran compiler and the Intel Fortran oneAPI compiler, both freely available, would easily handle such arrays as you mention. What system are you running on?

@ 2022-04-25 13:13     ` Arjen Markus
From: Arjen Markus @ 2022-04-25 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Carter; +Cc: fortran

There are various solutions to install gfortran (or in general the GCC
compiler suite) on Windows: Cygwin and MinGW-w64/MSYS2 are both
environments that mimick to a certain extent Linux and allow you to manage
all manner of packages, among which the GCC compiler suite. I use both but
I also use the installation from equation.com -
http://www.equation.com/servlet/equation.cmd?fa=fortran. You can get Intel
Fortran oneAPI from Intel -
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/tools/oneapi/fortran-compiler.html#gs.xy9u8f.

General questions about Fortran: the comp.lang.fortran newsgroup or, a bit
more modern, Fortran discourse - https://fortran-lang.discourse.group/

Regards,

Arjen

@ 2022-04-25 14:50       ` William Carter