public inbox for fortran@gcc.gnu.org
* gfortran: error: unrecognized argument in option '-mcmodel=medium'
@ 2023-09-26 14:44 Lingadahally, Vishakha (2023)
From: Lingadahally, Vishakha (2023) @ 2023-09-26 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fortran

Dear GCC Team,

I'm running Ubuntu 22 on my Mac virtually and my gfortran version is 11.4.0. When I try to install a certain software package, I encounter the following error:

gfortran: error: unrecognized argument in option '-mcmodel=medium'
gfortran: note: valid arguments to '-mcmodel=' are: large small tiny

Is this due to attempting to run gfortran on arm64 architecture? Could you please let me know how I could resolve the issue?

Thank you

Warm regards,
Vishakha

This email, its contents and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. In certain circumstances, it may also be subject to legal privilege. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, or copying is not permitted. If you have received this email in error, please notify us and immediately and permanently delete it. Any views or opinions expressed in personal emails are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Royal Holloway, University of London. It is your responsibility to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus free.

* Re: gfortran: error: unrecognized argument in option '-mcmodel=medium'
@ 2023-09-27  6:37 ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2023-09-27  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lingadahally, Vishakha (2023); +Cc: fortran

On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 4:44 PM Lingadahally, Vishakha (2023)
<Vishakha.Lingadahally.2023@live.rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear GCC Team,
>
> I'm running Ubuntu 22 on my Mac virtually and my gfortran version is 11.4.0. When I try to install a certain software package, I encounter the following error:
>
> gfortran: error: unrecognized argument in option '-mcmodel=medium'
> gfortran: note: valid arguments to '-mcmodel=' are: large small tiny
>
> Is this due to attempting to run gfortran on arm64 architecture? Could you please let me know how I could resolve the issue?

You have to turn to Ubuntu here, -mcmodel=medium is certainly
supported in GCC 11, maybe Ubuntu patches out
the support?

@ 2023-09-27  7:25   ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2023-09-27  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Biener; +Cc: Lingadahally, Vishakha (2023), fortran

On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 11:39 PM Richard Biener via Fortran
<fortran@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 4:44 PM Lingadahally, Vishakha (2023)
> <Vishakha.Lingadahally.2023@live.rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Dear GCC Team,
> >
> > I'm running Ubuntu 22 on my Mac virtually and my gfortran version is 11.4.0. When I try to install a certain software package, I encounter the following error:
> >
> > gfortran: error: unrecognized argument in option '-mcmodel=medium'
> > gfortran: note: valid arguments to '-mcmodel=' are: large small tiny
> >
> > Is this due to attempting to run gfortran on arm64 architecture? Could you please let me know how I could resolve the issue?
>
> You have to turn to Ubuntu here, -mcmodel=medium is certainly
> supported in GCC 11, maybe Ubuntu patches out
> the support?

Well -mcmodel=medium is the x86_64 specific option while they are
trying to run on aarch64 which has a different set options.

@ 2023-09-27  7:33     ` Iain Sandoe
From: Iain Sandoe @ 2023-09-27  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lingadahally, Vishakha (2023); +Cc: Richard Biener, GCC Fortran, pinskia

> On 27 Sep 2023, at 08:25, Andrew Pinski via Fortran <fortran@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 11:39 PM Richard Biener via Fortran
> <fortran@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 4:44 PM Lingadahally, Vishakha (2023)
>> <Vishakha.Lingadahally.2023@live.rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear GCC Team,
>>>
>>> I'm running Ubuntu 22 on my Mac virtually and my gfortran version is 11.4.0. When I try to install a certain software package, I encounter the following error:
>>>
>>> gfortran: error: unrecognized argument in option '-mcmodel=medium'
>>> gfortran: note: valid arguments to '-mcmodel=' are: large small tiny
>>>
>>> Is this due to attempting to run gfortran on arm64 architecture? Could you please let me know how I could resolve the issue?
>>
>> You have to turn to Ubuntu here, -mcmodel=medium is certainly
>> supported in GCC 11, maybe Ubuntu patches out
>> the support?
>
> Well -mcmodel=medium is the x86_64 specific option while they are
> trying to run on aarch64 which has a different set options.

The current Arm64 port (aarch64 on macOS) only supports the “small” mcmodel
“tiny” is not supported by macOS and we have not yet implemented “large”.

Despite it’s name “small” should suffice as an approximate equivalent for the
x86_64 “medium” (at least on macOS).

So, either you need to change the flag depending on the architecture, or omit it
(on macOS currently GCC only supports the default mcmodel).

We plan to support the “large” model at some stage on Arm64 (but unlikely for
GCC 14)

HTH,
Iain

* Re: gfortran: error: unrecognized argument in option '-mcmodel=medium'
@ 2023-09-27  7:35       ` Iain Sandoe
From: Iain Sandoe @ 2023-09-27  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lingadahally, Vishakha (2023); +Cc: GCC Fortran

> On 27 Sep 2023, at 08:33, Iain Sandoe <iain@sandoe.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> On 27 Sep 2023, at 08:25, Andrew Pinski via Fortran <fortran@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 11:39 PM Richard Biener via Fortran
>> <fortran@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

>>> You have to turn to Ubuntu here, -mcmodel=medium is certainly
>>> supported in GCC 11, maybe Ubuntu patches out
>>> the support?
>>
>> Well -mcmodel=medium is the x86_64 specific option while they are
>> trying to run on aarch64 which has a different set options.
>

> The current Arm64 port (aarch64 on macOS) only supports the “small” mcmodel
> “tiny” is not supported by macOS and we have not yet implemented “large”.
>
> Despite it’s name “small” should suffice as an approximate equivalent for the
> x86_64 “medium” (at least on macOS).
>
> So, either you need to change the flag depending on the architecture, or omit it
> (on macOS currently GCC only supports the default mcmodel).
>
> We plan to support the “large” model at some stage on Arm64 (but unlikely for
> GCC 14)

Ah, and now I see you are not running native so the comments above are not
relevant.
Iain

* Re: [EXT] Re: gfortran: error: unrecognized argument in option '-mcmodel=medium'
@ 2023-09-28 13:56         ` Lingadahally, Vishakha (2023)
From: Lingadahally, Vishakha (2023) @ 2023-09-28 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iain Sandoe; +Cc: GCC Fortran

Could you please let me know if there happens to be an update regarding how I might be able to resolve it?

Thanks!

Warm regards,
Vishakha
________________________________
>> On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 11:39 PM Richard Biener via Fortran
>> <fortran@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

>>> You have to turn to Ubuntu here, -mcmodel=medium is certainly
>>> supported in GCC 11, maybe Ubuntu patches out
>>> the support?
>>
>> Well -mcmodel=medium is the x86_64 specific option while they are
>> trying to run on aarch64 which has a different set options.
>

> The current Arm64 port (aarch64 on macOS) only supports the “small” mcmodel
> “tiny” is not supported by macOS and we have not yet implemented “large”.
>
> Despite it’s name “small” should suffice as an approximate equivalent for the
> x86_64 “medium” (at least on macOS).
>
> So, either you need to change the flag depending on the architecture, or omit it
> (on macOS currently GCC only supports the default mcmodel).
>
> We plan to support the “large” model at some stage on Arm64 (but unlikely for
> GCC 14)

Ah, and now I see you are not running native so the comments above are not
relevant.
Iain

This email, its contents and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. In certain circumstances, it may also be subject to legal privilege. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, or copying is not permitted. If you have received this email in error, please notify us and immediately and permanently delete it. Any views or opinions expressed in personal emails are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Royal Holloway, University of London. It is your responsibility to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus free.

* Re: [EXT] gfortran: error: unrecognized argument in option '-mcmodel=medium'
@ 2023-09-28 16:00           ` Iain Sandoe
From: Iain Sandoe @ 2023-09-28 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lingadahally, Vishakha (2023); +Cc: GCC Fortran

Hi,

> On 28 Sep 2023, at 14:56, Lingadahally, Vishakha (2023) <Vishakha.Lingadahally.2023@live.rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> Could you please let me know if there happens to be an update regarding how I might be able to resolve it?

when you are on an arm64 machine you need to add "-mcmodel=small” (applies to Arm) instead of "-mcmodel=medium” (applies to Intel)

Iain