public inbox for fortran@gcc.gnu.org
* Help with fortran standards
@ 2021-02-19  8:40 Vicini Alessandro
From: Vicini Alessandro @ 2021-02-19  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fortran

Hello, I'm not sure this is the right group for this request, but I hope I can get some help.
I have a module like the one you can see below, which I use so that I can pass subroutines names as arguments in procedure calls. I've been using this kind of modules under linux with gfortran (version 8). Now, under windows with Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6 (which should comply at least to the fortran95 standards), this same module does not compile... Is this because it is based on more recent fortran features? In this case, how would it be possible to do this with fortran 95? Thank you very much for your attention...

A.

	 Module Selection_type

	    Type :: Selection_procedure_type
	       Procedure(Select_interface), Pointer, Nopass :: item => null()
	    End Type Selection_procedure_type

	    Abstract Interface
	       Subroutine Select_interface(arg1,arg2)
	            Integer :: arg1
	            Integer :: arg2(2)
	       End Subroutine Select_interface
	    End Interface

	 End Module Selection_Type

* Re: Help with fortran standards
@ 2021-02-19  8:52 ` Arjen Markus
From: Arjen Markus @ 2021-02-19  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vicini Alessandro; +Cc: fortran

Hello Allessandro,

these are fairly general questions, whereas this list is meant for specific
questions on the gfortran compiler. You can post these on the Fortran
newsgroup comp.lang.fortran or on the Discourse group at
https://fortran-lang.discourse.group/.

However, here is my reply:

   - Compaq Visual Fortran has been out of support for several decades. You
   can use the Intel oneAPI suite as an alternative
   - CVF may have supported the Fortran 95 standard (I do not quite know
   the details), but procedure pointers are a thing of Fortran 2003. So it is
   very unlikely CVF will ever be able to compile your program

Regards,

Arjen

Op vr 19 feb. 2021 om 09:47 schreef Vicini Alessandro via Fortran <
fortran@gcc.gnu.org>:

> Hello, I'm not sure this is the right group for this request, but I hope I
> can get some help.
> I have a module like the one you can see below, which I use so that I can
> pass subroutines names as arguments in procedure calls. I've been using
> this kind of modules under linux with gfortran (version 8). Now, under
> windows with Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6 (which should comply at least to the
> fortran95 standards), this same module does not compile... Is this because
> it is based on more recent fortran features? In this case, how would it be
> possible to do this with fortran 95? Thank you very much for your
> attention...
>
> A.
>
>          Module Selection_type
>
>             Type :: Selection_procedure_type
>                Procedure(Select_interface), Pointer, Nopass :: item =>
> null()
>             End Type Selection_procedure_type
>
>             Abstract Interface
>                Subroutine Select_interface(arg1,arg2)
>                     Integer :: arg1
>                     Integer :: arg2(2)
>                End Subroutine Select_interface
>             End Interface
>
>          End Module Selection_Type

* R: Help with fortran standards
@ 2021-02-19  9:08   ` Vicini Alessandro
From: Vicini Alessandro @ 2021-02-19  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arjen Markus; +Cc: fortran

Hello Arjen,

unfortunately this code has been developed with CVF using its features to create dialog routines, so I need to work under CVF...
So I guess I'll need alternative solutions to procedure pointers. Thank you!

A.

these are fairly general questions, whereas this list is meant for specific questions on the gfortran compiler. You can post these on the Fortran newsgroup comp.lang.fortran or on the Discourse group at https://fortran-lang.discourse.group/<https://eur04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffortran-lang.discourse.group%2F&data=04%7C01%7Calessandro.vicini%40sitael.com%7C244a4f568c50447a66e208d8d4b3b53b%7Cc187ee014e4e40c8b342f82c8d699421%7C0%7C0%7C637493216470611540%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C2000&sdata=sUxITpMqFTsdWVu2HfkuJaP7iANhMP1tMdKUFu49hZc%3D&reserved=0>.

@ 2021-02-19  9:11     ` Arjen Markus
From: Arjen Markus @ 2021-02-19  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vicini Alessandro; +Cc: fortran

I may be mistaken, but the QuickWin library is probably available with the
latest Intel compiler. I have never used that library to any serious
extent, though.

Regards,

Arjen